Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I've been asked if I'd rent my P1 Justy out next season, it's a well prepared car with 0 DNF's. What sort of agreement should I look for? How much per event etc? Liability issues? I have no idea where to start with this or how much to ask. What about damage, breakdowns etc? The driver in question has not stage rallied before but does have successful race and icerace experience. Perhaps I should sell them the car and then buy it back for a preagreed price? I guess I would also be supplying service.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks guys

Martin

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi Martin,

Speak to Ken when he get's back, he may have any interesting option for you...;)

Also, you can check with Peter Van Bogart at Cascade Autosport, they have an EVO and a WRX for rent.

Good luck!

Bill

·
Registered
280 Posts
I dont know how much you should ask money wise for the casr and service..

but the best way to do the rest is " you brake you pay!" no question there...he can also get a insurance..but its to much money for a Justy... i spoke whit Sylvain Erickson abouth doing trade whit europen drivers and the way he was doing it is you brake you pay...simple.

Ont va lavoire notre permis d'bières !!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, here's what I'd do (keep in mind that I've been screwed over a few times by other people financially, so I'm paranoid) My biggest concern about a gentleman's agreement of "you break, you pay" is that the guy can't afford to pay for damages, or simply refuses after the fact. It's easier to get someone to pay for something before they wreck it, not after. Agree upon a "write-off" value for the car, then get the renter to front cash (with a line of credit from his bank, if necessary) to a reliable trustee who will hold it until after the event. After the rally, asses any damages and deduct it from his deposit. It would be best to settle on payment for wear items before the rally (tires, brakes, etc...) It might also be wise to discuss cost of potential damages before hand. This wouldn't work very well for an expensive car, but for a vehicle worth around $5,000 it might work just fine. When it comes to money, and people paying for breaking someone elses toys, TRUST NO ONE!!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My first drive in a rally car was a Rental Ride.

The fee for rental included everything but fuel.

The car was worth $4000 to the owner. I got a bank check written in both our names for half the value $2000, and we both, or at least I, signed it before the event. (Check could be whole value of the car...)

After the event I paid for a bent strut, couple hundred bucks, and re-deposited the check in my account.

We also had a contract, about "if the car breaks, vs. If I break the car."

On either end of one of these deals you are taking a risk, but this arrangement worked for us.

Good Luck,
Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
The biggest problem, I think, could be the liability insurance on the road sections. Your policy probably covers you for driving to work and "pleasure" but not for renting the car. If your customer has a serious road claim, things could get very nasty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. Now I've got more to think about than before!!

I'm thinking perhaps I could sell the car with an agreement to buy it back for a preagreed amount after the events with deduction for any damages incurred. That way all the liability problems would be gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts