Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am Rinse Zwaagstra, a 22 year old rally driver from Holland. Normally I drive in a Volvo 740 (completely stock, except for other shock absorbers and front springs and obviously the safety devices), and this year I will be driving mainly in Germany and Sweden, although I am also considering to go to Norway. However, since I still am a university student in automotive engineering, I am trying to go to Canada for a semester from September on. Main reason for this being the fact that I am very curious to drive some rallies in Canada, and because apparantly (from what I have found until now) there is just one automotive engineering university in Canada in Oshawa, Ontario, I am looking for a possibility to drive some rallies in Ontario (other states also a possibility, as long as the rally is worth the trip). Since it is not really good for my budget to ship my car to Canada for half a year, does anyone of you maybe know a company/person in Ontario that rents/is willing to rent a car to me? Since I am a student, I don't have too much money, so it can't be a very expensive car, and the classifieds on this website don't really help me a lot too. I am used to driving RWD, so that is also what I prefer, but FWD or AWD is not something I would reject.
Also, since I am not too familiar with the Canadian rallies, does anyone know what a few nice rallies in this area are from September to February? I am prepared to drive a few hundred or even a few thousand km, but the rally has to be worth it.
Thanks for your help!

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Rally of the Tall Pines is the perfect event for you: it's November 19-20 and in Bancroft, Ontario which is less than 200 km from Oshawa. Hope you find a car!

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
There isn't anyone in Ontario who rents cars on a regular basis, but you might be able to find someone willing to rent their car to you for an event. There are a few good places to contact Ontario competitors:

The Maple Leaf Rally Club (based in Toronto) has a message board on their web site: http://www.mlrc.ca/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

So does the Motorsport Club of Ottawa: http://www.mco.org/phpbb/

Also, there's the Rally Ontario Mailing List; you can subscribe here: http://www.kwrc.on.ca/mailing.html

As for events, you can find a full listing of all the rallies in Ontario here: http://www.rallysport.on.ca/index.php?fuseaction=site.details&id=453

The OPRC is our provincial stage rally championship. The ORRC is the navigational rally championship. Between September and February, there are a few that should be of interest:

- Defi Ste-Agathe in September is in the national championship, and is just under 600 km from Oshawa.

- Rally of the Tall Pines in November is definitely worth checking out. It's a great rally, it's only about 200 km from Oshawa, and it's the last round of the year for the national championship.

- Rallye Perce-Neige is in February and is about 600 km from Oshawa as well. It's a great snow rally and definitely worth doing (if you don't mind cold!).

Also, other rally possibilities:

- I don't know whether you'd be able to leave Canada or enter the US, but if you can, Black River Stages is just across the border in New York state, about 350 km from Oshawa. It's a decent single day regional rally.

- Rallye Charlevoix in October. Classic rally, and from everything I hear worth the 900 km trip from the Toronto area. I can't find a web site for it right now, but some information should be posted for it at http://www.couperallye.com/accueil.html when it's available.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
The CARS rulebook has an ad for Compact Autosport that lists a Psport (production spec) Golf and a G2 (mod 2wd) Mini Cooper (new) cars for rent.
I've never dealt with them so I have no idea on how they are to work with.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello,
Main reason for this being the fact that I am very curious to drive some rallies in Canada, and because apparantly (from what I have found until now) there is just one automotive engineering university in Canada in Oshawa, Ontario, I am looking for a possibility to drive some rallies in Ontariop!

I do believe that University of Windsor has an Automotive program and has been using ACP's for some testing and development

Pete g

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody, this is all very helpful! Does Compact Autosport also have a website? Google doesn't give me an answer on that one.
The Rally of the Tall Pines indeed seems to be perfect for me. The Black River Stages also sound very interesting, so I will see if I would be possible to cross the border to the US.
Mr. Pete g: what does ACP mean?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks everybody, this is all very helpful! Does Compact Autosport also have a website? Google doesn't give me an answer on that one.
The Rally of the Tall Pines indeed seems to be perfect for me. The Black River Stages also sound very interesting, so I will see if I would be possible to cross the border to the US.
Mr. Pete g: what does ACP mean?

No Compact autosport dont have any website but you can call Éric at 1 819-472-0006 or e-mail at [email protected]

You have to know that the compact autosport shop is in Quebec,not to far from Montreal.

Hope you find someting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts