Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are you guys all doing??

because i KNOW, about the 5th question of out of their mouth "do you race the car??"

Sure i could lie through my teeth but if they ever see the car, i'm probably up the creek without a paddle.

What kind of coverage are we looking for exactly?? just strictly liability??

ANY advice would be awesome.

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are on the MCO forums and have read the thread "caged and screwed", if you haven't...

http://www.mco.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2399

I'm going to be in the same situation soon, what I plan to do is just call my insurance company and tell them I have another car to insure. I will only put liability on it, maybe fire and theft too. I will tell them it's a rally car, they will probably want to see it and take pictures. Once they see it, then they can't claim non disclosure or material change or whatever their "out" is if you don't tell them...

I'm hoping that they won't just turn around and say "we won't insure that"... I figure that I've been with them for 20+ years, have 3 or 4 vehicles and my house with them, in that time I've claimed for 1 windshield and one dented roof from falling ice. I figure I'm a good customer that they should want to keep... we'll see.

My advice would be to be open and straight with them and see what happens.

-Martin.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>what are you guys all doing??
>
>because i KNOW, about the 5th question of out of their mouth
>"do you race the car??"

I actually said Yes, I do race the car, but that shouldn't matter to you since I am looking for absolutey no coverage during a race. I went on to explain that the event provides liability coverage on the stage, and on the transit sections we are goverened by all traffic laws. Worked for me ...

·
Registered
408 Posts
FYI, depending on your insurance company, when they hear the word "race" they may actually completely drop you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I generally can't dazzle you performance rally guys with huge knowledge of cars, CARS rulebook, etc, or probably insurance either, but we had this discussion ad nauseum not too long ago. My personal understanding, at least in Ontario:
a) if you don't disclose what you're doing or what you modified, and end up needing the insurance, you are screwed big time. By law they MUST cover your liability if you kill somebody on a transit, no matter how bad you lied to them. This protects the innocent bystander you killed/injured etc (good thing), BUT, they will then sue your sorry ass to retreive the settlement they paid out (bad thing). Bottom line, financially, it's like NOT being insured.
b) the Ontario Standard Policy, (the 50 pages you do NOT get in the mail with your policy, which are basically the 'supp regs' of your policy) states that you can NOT be covered if you participate in a speed event, which a stage rally IS. This is the BIG issue, since some companies might actually insure your legal mods, but do a speed event, look out.
c) apparently, you are not allowed to be insured by more than one policy, so on the stages, you are under two policies, as insurance cannot be 'turned off' sometimes, and 'turned on' at others (different than asking to be insured between two dates, that is), and this is something that the RSO committee (of 2, but more like 1) wants to look into as well.

Oh, and if you outright lie to your ins. co., you can be dropped REAL quick. You might become uninsurable. Then you might be forced into Facility, but even THEY must follow the Standard Policy as far as I know, and that means speed events are OUT. Basically, it sort of comes down to this being an illegal activity (due to the Insurance law, rallying itself is not illegal from anything I've ever read in Highway Traffic etc, though that's a bit dicey).

Last I heard, the CARS line (at the AGM) was this is a Regional issue, since insurance is a provincial thing, so as far as I know, CARS is doing nothing. Please correct me if I am wrong, I'd love to know what the plan is, seriously.

People have been dropped that were loyal customers for 20 years and few if any claims. Good luck with it.

I'm no lawyer, don't listen to me ramble, go read the Ontario Standard Policy (it's real fun...). Ain't life grand?

Craig

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kchamm/rally1.html

·
Registered
233 Posts
>
>I actually said Yes, I do race the car, but that shouldn't
>matter to you since I am looking for absolutey no coverage
>during a race. I went on to explain that the event provides
>liability coverage on the stage, and on the transit sections
>we are goverened by all traffic laws. Worked for me ...

You got lucky. Once they accept the disclosed use of the vehicle and the associated risks, you can't be dropped after that, is my understanding. So, don't switch companies!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts