Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through the forums about insuring rally cars and there seems to be a difference of opinion on how things are done insurance wise (full disclosure vs non-disclosure to the insurance company). I'm sure a lot of this info is probably outdated as many of those posts are several years old. So I just wanted to make this post to see what people in Alberta are doing in 2010. I'd prefer to be up front with my insurance company. What I'm looking for is liability insurance on stage transits plus full coverage when it is being towed (trailer, dolly or tow bar) and fire/theft coverage when it is stored. I've told my insurance broker about my auto-x / rally-x car and what I do with it and they didn't bat an eyelash. However, this being a rally car I want to make sure I do things right. Assuming my insurance company baulks at the idea, is there a rally-friendly company/broker out there I should talk to?

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
One thing to be clear about, if you choose the full disclosure route, is that while you are on stage you are covered by the event's $5Million liability policy and that the only coverage you are looking for is liability on transits where you are in full compliance with the Highway traffic act.

I would never, ever, try and get collision coverage on a rally car in any way. I've insured two rally cars in Alberta with full disclosure. Others have had to threaten to pull all of their policies (home, autos, business) from the broker to get them to issue coverage.

The most friendly broker will be one that you have an existing and good relationship with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've spoken with my broker and they immediately said my current insurance company (Wawa) would not cover such a vehicle. The broker has offered to do some searching to see if some other company would. I did have to do a lot of explaining to inform the broker of what I was looking to get insurance wise, and I want to follow that up with an e-mail. Surely there is some info out there on "How to explain Rally Racing to your insurance company"? Anyone know of anything?

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
This looks promising... Anyone use / know of these guys? HDF Insurance in Edmonton.

http://www.hdfinsurance.com/race-car-insurance/
Looks like what that page describes is an insurance package for track cars:

- Complete coverage for the race car (excluding when the motor is running).
That coverage might be desireable for when you're towing to and from the event, but your rally car insurance would have to be some sort of auto insurance policy if it's going to provide coverage on the transits.

I don't know the company, but if they're tied into the racing scene enough to want to market to track racers, maybe it'd be easier to explain rallying to them than to other companies.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Full disclosure - I work for an insurance company.

Without going to Lloyd's of London, you are probably going to have a difficult time getting exactly what you think you want.

If you get collision, it covers you all the time. You can't pick and choose when it applies. Caveat - read your policy language. "Most" policies have language to exlcude collision coverage while racing or while on a race track (and those are two important distinctions for what we do).

Comp, or comprehensive, or OTC (other than collision) - covers fire, theft, and animal hits (and a few other misc things - like flood, falling through the ice - again, read your policy). I bolded the animal part, because this covers hitting deer/moose/elk, etc.

Liability is for transits and other on the road driving - this is really what you are buying. As Keith said, the event insurance covers you on stage.

This is from a U.S. view - Canada may be a bit different, especially by province.

Definitely - ymmv !

press on,

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The description on their page is kinda geared towards track racing, but I've spoken with them and they were quite open to try and help me get the coverage I need.... ie liability on transits. I also wanted coverage during transporting and they had no problem with that: $12/year per $1000 of coverage for damages when being stored/towed

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So much for that. Not interested in providing liability on Transits. :mad:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
So much for that. Not interested in providing liability on Transits. :mad:
Er, liability is standard insurance that is required on a road going car, is it not? Everyone has liability during transit... in fact, I don't know why you would bother stating a transit as part of a race, as that is surely more info than they need to know, full disclosure or otherwise.

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Er, liability is standard insurance that is required on a road going car, is it not? Everyone has liability during transit... in fact, I don't know why you would bother stating a transit as part of a race, as that is surely more info than they need to know, full disclosure or otherwise.
Everyone with an auto insurance policy has liability during transits. The issue is getting that policy in the first place. Some companies won't touch modified cars at all, let alone rally cars.

Also, if your insurance company feels that you were less than forthcoming in your initial application, the issue can also be what happens when you're involved in a claim.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Everyone with an auto insurance policy has liability during transits. The issue is getting that policy in the first place. Some companies won't touch modified cars at all, let alone rally cars.

Also, if your insurance company feels that you were less than forthcoming in your initial application, the issue can also be what happens when you're involved in a claim.
Agreed, I would just be surprised if 99% of rallyists are "lying" to their insurance company.

I mean, why wouldn't you provide liability for someone with a clean driving record? Money in the bank, no?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My insurance company wouldn't even insure it if it was only being stored in my garage.

This is my concern

·
Eis Munky Rally Team
661 Posts
My insurance company wouldn't even insure it if it was only being stored in my garage.
I assume you have no trouble having it licensed (plate/decal) for road use. Is your problem covering the physical damage (fire/theft/collision) or liability or both?

I am a broker in BC and have a Canadian market that insures off-track and storage of race cars. Just not liability for them.

Also, if your rally car is your daily driver- they likely can't help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just to be clear about the insurance policy in place while you are competing in an event:

The policy covers the people and the objects that you hit, but it does not cover your car or the people inside the car. The people inside the car have signed a waiver, exempting them from any and all personal coverage.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Actually, there is competitor injury and accidental death and dismemberment insurance in the policy. The payouts are not significant, but would 'help.'

·
Registered
510 Posts
Actually, there is competitor injury and accidental death and dismemberment insurance in the policy. The payouts are not significant, but would 'help.'
I stand corrected on the "people inside the car" part.

It still does not cover the competitor's car, however.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
So Tony, I am assuming you didn't run Cochrane without insurance? Spill the beans!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I switched insurance companies and saved a chunk of money in the process.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts