Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Spectator Wrangler
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who suspect or are merely cynical about what Rally America will bring to Pro Rally - the first signs will be at Sno-Drift. From discussions with a couple of the prinicples of Rally America , theie agenda migh best be described as ISO 9000 for ProRally. They hope to take the things that each rally does best and use those ideas to improve events which are not as stong in those areas.
For Sno-Drift, Rally America will supply 5 sets ( Start and Finish) of Tag-Heuer timing equipment. Each set consists of a HL920 start clock and a CP520 Chronoprinter. The Chronoprinter will be used at the finish and be controlled by photocell triggers. The Tag-Heuer web site has descriptions of this equipment. www. tag-heuer-timing.com
The start clocks have a large analog face and a 30 second digital countdown readout. There is also an audible signal at 10 seconds and 5,4,3,2,1,0. You may be familiar with these clocks as they are often used to start downhill ski events. Remember the beeps as each Olympic
racer started? You'll hear the same sounds.
As there only 5 sets of equipment , they will have to be moved from stage to stage. We were told at the training session that each set is an investment of $2000.
A big thank-you to Rally America for a big leep in the equipment standard for ProRally.

Bruce Beauvais
de KA8VTK

·
I drive the car.
927 Posts
I'm just glad they exist!

This is a BIG step towards a PROfessional rally system here in the USA.

Now I can't wait for Rim!

Charles
Viva le MR2 #295!!!
Viva le WSRC!!!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
We can all sit around and ##### about SCCA's lack of action(junkets to rallies around the world are expensive). It costs nothing and makes an easy target. Instead Rally America(principally Doug Havir) and the organizers are acting to make the series a better place for everyone, rather than concentrating on The Chosen Few. We who work to make the rallies happen applaud the efforts of Rally America, as should every privateer on a budget. You will get better events for your hard earned cash. A successful and professional series makes it possible for any competitor who wants to do the work to obtain financial assistance(sponsorship).

Everyone can be one of The Chosen. It takes hard work & talent. I have been privileged to sit in the right seat for a remarkable string of such people. While very different personalities, they all had two things in common - an unshakable work ethic and a burning desire to win.

The choice is simple; get thee to the garage & make that car better, or sit here & complain about how SCCA has failed you.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
> The choice is simple; get thee to the garage & make that car better, or sit here & complain about how SCCA has failed you.

Yes, except that isn't SCCA somehow funding Rally America?

I don't agree that Rally American has the potential to do very good things, my point is why do the members continue to tolerate the SCCA's failures? (or at least failure to deliver the things that RA has and will deliver)

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>> The choice is simple; get thee to the garage & make that car better, or sit here & complain about how SCCA has failed you.
>
>Yes, except that isn't SCCA somehow funding Rally America?
Not in any way that I have heard about.

>
>I don't agree that Rally American has the potential to do
>very good things, my point is why do the members continue to
>tolerate the SCCA's failures? (or at least failure to
>deliver the things that RA has and will deliver)

More in reference to the comment above about why doesn't SCCA just buy these: Which SCCA are you referring to? The local region, the division or national. Assuming you mean the national organization, then it would be the ProRally Department which at this time does not have the budget or infrastructure to handle equipment similart to that of the other professional race groups within SCCA such as TransAm.
Richard Miller

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
> More in reference to the comment above about why doesn't SCCA just buy these: Which SCCA are you referring to? The local region, the division or national. Assuming you mean the national organization, then it would be the ProRally Department which at this time does not have the budget or infrastructure to handle equipment similart to that of the other professional race groups within SCCA such as TransAm.

We don't know if they don't have the budget. Their budget and sponsorship programs appear to be kept by the PRD (see other thread on this subject).

For example, where does the money from Subaru, Sunoco etc go? Shouldn't expenditure like this (important equipment for a national series) be prioritized against whatever else it is that the membership money, sanctioning fees and sponsorship $ get spent on?

Where is the visibility into this process?

re: Rally America not getting paid by SCCA.
You're right, I just found this:
"Rally America does not receive any compensation from the SCCA, the event organizers, or the manufacturers."

So, in return for spending $10k on the equipment, they get....? (peace of mind?)

And if they can get sponsorship for the series to offset their "investment", why can't the SCCA do that?

Glenn

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Do you read the annual budget as published in Sportscar? I realize it does not itemize each and every check and petty cash expenditure the way you want but it does contain lots of information. The ProRally expenditiures and income should be separated out but I am not sure if they are. I trust my national board of directors member to watch over our money.
Richard Miller

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
> I trust my national board of directors member to watch over our money.

Then clearly they have failed because by the response here the timing equipment was important to running the events at a national level.

JB Niday (PRB member) said in another thread:

> John (et al), Sorry guys... I'd love to answer the question that you really want me to answer... but I can't. Not because I know and I won't say, but because I dont't know... neither does anyone else on the PRB. The PRD's budget is an internal SCCA thing and the PRB has no jurisdiction there.

We have a sanctioning body that is supposed to promote the sport, yet is now using a 3rd party to (on the face of it) secure more sponsorship for it to help with running the series, and has a sponsorship budget that is "secret" and we have no idea where the money went, and which possibly could have paid for these timing clocks (or not), and we have a PRB who doesn't know either, yet is supposed to represent the membership who have paid their dues and entry fees?

If the aim of Rally America is to supplement the SCCA, then by definition the SCCA is doing a sub-par job. Does Rally America aim to replace the SCCA as a sanctioning body? Does the SCCA plan to step up so it doesn't need Rally America next year? I am all for partnerships but it seems like a restaurant outsourcing their kitchen.

What is wrong with this picture?

Glenn

PS perhaps if I bought a car from Prodrive I could get mentioned on the ProRally broadcasts too?

·
Registered
907 Posts
>So, in return for spending $10k on the equipment, they get....?
>(peace of mind?)

I am not sure if you have been paying attention her for the last couple of months, but RallyAmerica pretty much consists of all
current Pro Rally organizers along with DH and couple of others.

What do they have to gain by investing their $$ ? Well they are trying to raise the standarts of the Pro events and make sure that they are all alligned together with out loosing their individual flavor. Each organizer will bring what they do best to the other organizers. For the teams that will mean several things such as (if succesfull)
1, Same timing and scoring at all events
2, Same registration process
3, Same tech inspection process
and etc.

More professional looking and feeling events will have much better chance of raising their own sponsorship $$ from bigger corporations.

-george

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Rabble rousing from the hot-bed of Agitation the Pacific NW

Glen, Glen, Glen, you're from OZ! and you're sounding like you're a native born Northwesterner!

Better be careful or some guy who says he's from NZ is going to come and moan about you inquiring about this stuff and call _you_ a moaner!

But you do bring up a good point.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
RE: Rabble rousing from the hot-bed of Agitation the Pacific NW

I can claim you conscripted me when you visited the shop the other night. I think everyone here will buy that. :)

(and my father was from New Zealand.....)

·
Registered
397 Posts
>>So, in return for spending $10k on the equipment, they get....?
>>(peace of mind?)
>
>I am not sure if you have been paying attention her for the
>last couple of months, but RallyAmerica pretty much consists
>of all
>current Pro Rally organizers along with DH and couple of
>others.
>
>What do they have to gain by investing their $$ ? Well they
>are trying to raise the standarts of the Pro events and make
>sure that they are all alligned together with out loosing
>their individual flavor. Each organizer will bring what they
>do best to the other organizers. For the teams that will
>mean several things such as (if succesfull)
>1, Same timing and scoring at all events
>2, Same registration process
>3, Same tech inspection process
>and etc.
>
>More professional looking and feeling events will have much
>better chance of raising their own sponsorship $$ from
>bigger corporations.
>
>-george

I applaud the efforts of those trying to elevate the sport here in the USA. I am (as are many others) concerned about the painfully obvious lack of accountability on the part of those "In charge of the money and where it goes."
John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

·
Registered
14 Posts
I for one welcome any effort to improve Rallying in this country. I do how ever have a different take on Rally America. It appears to Be David Ash come back to life. By their own admission they are events in Canada, Mexico and the US who want to establish an "American" FIA Championship. The US events are those who have been the most dissatified with SCCA. The equiptment of which you speak is that of the Nevada event. I do not know the details but I wouldn't be suprised if it is only for those RA events and will be "leased" to them. Anytime you involve the FIA the cost goes up. I also still have not heard form them who the ACCUS club is that is sponsoring the application to The FIA for a sanctioned championship or where their Insurance is coming from. All these things raise the cost of participation. Then there is the travel of course, how many of you can afford a tow to Northwestern Canada not to mention Southeastern Mexico . No, I for one will reserve judgement until I see all the details. In the mean time I will continue to write to The SCCA directors and try to change the system from within.
ViVa Le Revolution}>

·
Registered
150 Posts
Its good to see that some one has taken interest in getting the events to be professional not just the look of the series. Couldn't SCCA buy the timing equipment in bulk and use it for all their series? The Ramada Express Rally has used Tag Heuer timing for two years and they're awsome. Keep everything away from the photo cells other wise timing hell will ensue.

Ryan Allison

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ummm --

Your mixing up the doings of as many as 5 different organizations:

The ones you seem most confused about:

CNAR: which is the organization that is trying to establish a FIA Series in Canada, Mexico and the US

and

Rally America
which is, in cooperation with the organizers of the SCCA's ProRally Championship Series, trying to elevate the professionalism and thus the promotability of the events and the series.

By the way -- Rally America so far has not passsed any costs to the organizers, they have not asked the organizers to due anything that will increase costs, and to the best of my knowledge they do not intend to do anything or ask for anything that will increase costs.

Mike

·
Registered
533 Posts
>series. Couldn't SCCA buy the timing equipment in bulk and
>use it for all their series? The Ramada Express Rally has

All their series??? Club Racing is converting to Transponders (No idea who makes them and too lazy to do a search at the moment to find out. Each racer has been asked to purchase their own transponder module. And for solo just about every region owns their own clock and gates, most made by JACircuits.

At least that's the case for the regions I've been involved with in Central Division.

JBLewis

1 - 20 of 45 Posts