Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder whether we've been looking at this Rally America thing backwards. People are squawking that these fine folks are going to take care of some things that we're paying our National office to handle.

Could it be that we're actually not going far enough?

Would it be too radical an idea to think maybe what we need is for Rally America to take on ALL the responsibilities for the series, not just the little bits we've seen announced so far? The SCCA has already set the precedent by handing off the operations of Trans-Am and Toyota Atlantic, for example.

To be sure it'd more work for Doug, Beryl-Ann, J.B. and the rest of the crew, but I'll be they could get people to help if needed. Hell, I think they know I'd help if I could.

Anyway, just idle musings in the wee hours of a rainy morning....

P.S. www.Rally-America.com and www.RallyUSA.com -- both are good things.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

G

·
It all sounds great.

But what does Rally America get in return?

Right$ to anything? TV?

Is it a non-profit?

I have no reason to think anything negative about Doug or anyone else on the steering committee. I have respect for them for actually doing something about the situation(unlike the SCCA).

But, the steering committee is made up a a small group of people, a "clique" if you will. Again, nothing negative about them, just where is the interest going to sway?

We all know rally in the US is in the transition from an underground hobby/sport, to a viable marketplace with substancial(spell) business opprotunities. And out come the investors, "hey little boy want some candy?"

SCCA gave T.A. away. First Ralph, now Panoz runs the show, and he also owns the company that makes all the composite bodies. Some teams get light bodies and some teams, with talented drivers but unfriendly business interests get bodies that weight 200# more.

Pete

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Well, I don't know any of the people involved, and I was raised to trust peoples intentions until they have shown otherwise.

But Doug,
if you're reading this, you must try and understand and acknowledge that the inital anouncement of this whole plan come from SCCA and had Kurt Spitzner's signature appended to it and was thereby, as you have no doubt seen, instantly cast in suspicious light.
And...
It is clear from Spitzner's record that he sees himself as a facilitator of the unknown MFG councils wishes and whims and nothing more.

It is also clear that he thinks no rules of behavior are responsibility, or consistancy in conception, or application of rules and procedures shall apply to him.

He believes he is answerable to nobody.

As such, he has lost all sense of the tiny bit of credibility or believability he may have once had, and hence effectiveness.

Only a near pathological lack of a sense of shame prevents his resigning, as well as his obvious huge contempt for the membership.

You are a newcomer, you were not around to hear him say "You can't have the Lunatics running the Asylum", and this from a man who had never built or competed, or organised a single car or event.

It is natural for peopole to be wary of complete beginners who come along and say I know what North American ralling needs, and say "trust me" as is implied in your words "here's a pearl of wisdom".

Der Spitzner is the stooge of the MFG council, nothing more and as such is in opposition to the interesrts of the membership.

You say you'll represent the Organisers primarily at first......

See the problem?

If you are to have any credibility, you must be more open, and must have a clearly demarked distance from SCCA PRM and even PRB to show on which side of the line you stand on.

But does it not strike you a little odd that any person with a total of 7-9 events thinks they know just what the counrty needs?

The old bugaboos of who actually wields power and influence have just become murkier with this additional layer of people that the membership has no inkling of who is advising what to who.

Who ya gonna call?

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
366 Posts
John Dillon I don't mean to sound negative and I'm not in any way pointing a finger at the folks of RA but what are we paying SCCA for? Aren't the goals on RA web site the same we've been hearing from the national office?
Why should we expect the volunteers to get done what the "person with right know how to get the job done" whom is paid cannot?
Wasn't some of the problems with various organizers "key people from SCCA telling them how to run their event"?
I'm sure I'll catch flack for this post. Again I'm not trying to single RA out I'm just seeing the same things said by a different group trying to do what has already been tried or we've been told will be done, we've just had more time tick by.
I hope what ever is attempted is done with an open mind and if it does work will be dismissed and we'll move on. The things that do work get improved to perfection.
My other question is what sponsorship stickers will now be required on our cars and will the competitors get something for their advertising of the SCCA/RA sponsor?

Yeah I know I'm a little gun shy-sorry, but sometimes picking buck shot out of the back side gets old.

Good topic!!!!!

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
new guys

<But does it not strike you a little odd that any person with a total of 7-9 events thinks they know just what the counrty needs?>
---
John,
I'm not defending Doug but New Guys (I'm one of them).
If the old guys were so good at everything, we wouldn't have the problems I (we) walked blindly into. Not saying there've been faults by individuals but new eyes see things differently and bring things to the table that, maybe, weren't there before. Things may have been tried in the past and didn't work but there is now increased communication, more interest, a larger group of diverse entrants, sponsors, fans and organizers, not to mention - seed money which RA brings to facilitate this communication. Any of these factors may make that old idea finally work.
---
<If you are to have any credibility, you must be more open, and must have a clearly demarked distance from SCCA PRM and even PRB to show on which side of the line you stand on.>
---
Credibility doesn't come with choosing sides, it comes from results.
We've heard the BS from our pal Spizburger, lets see some results. I'd say getting the organizers together for face to face talks is a positive action that, as far as I know, wasn't forcing the whims of a newbie on the sport.
rz

·
Registered
768 Posts
RE: new guys

RallyAmerica:
- Anyone who spends their OWN money and their OWN time gets my respect. Until they screw up...
- Let's give a change to show what they can do. At least they'll start better than Mr Spitzner and The Soldier who went for Globetrottering with membership money and brought NOTHING back. Oh, maybe price of beer in Australia nad Finland - nothing else.
- Maybe, since they are competitors, they can start making rules the same at all events. It was shocking to hear every organizer can have their own penalties, etc. That's Mickey Mouse if anything!

RallyUsa:
- Same here; They spend their OWN money and time. Thanks for that!
- Ramada hasn't been what I hoped for. The weather must be the biggest reason for thin fields. Seeing a PORSCHE 911 getting stuck on a flat road tells it all....and 4x4 Mitsus slipping and sliding and gesturing "You go first" on a STAGE is too much.
- Somebody could make money by sending a copy to "Funniest Home Videos"...
- Either change the date or allow studded tires. Nothing else will make it a real race. Ofcource, special tires is an other once-a-year expense and many will/can not afford it.
- There's SO much potential in this rally. I hope it gets there and become a BIG year end finale for all American rallyists.

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
RE: new guys

Yeah, I've seen how we've been viewed with what I'd call cautious skepticism. It would be nice to have some more enthusiasm from some of you guys, but I understand that we have to earn it. That's what we intend to do. So long as you don't slam the door on us before we've had a chance to make a difference, we'll be okay. As for screwing up, we sure will try not to, but it might happen that we try something new and get it wrong. All I can say when that happens is "Oops. We messed up. We'll do our best to fix it."

I'm not naive enough to think we can fix every problem, but I do believe we can help make the whole thing much much better for everyone involved.

-Doug

·
Registered
366 Posts
RE: new guys-Good Luck

>Yeah, I've seen how we've been viewed with what I'd call
>cautious skepticism. It would be nice to have some more
>enthusiasm from some of you guys, but I understand that we
>have to earn it. That's what we intend to do. So long as you
>don't slam the door on us before we've had a chance to make
>a difference, we'll be okay. As for screwing up, we sure
>will try not to, but it might happen that we try something
>new and get it wrong. All I can say when that happens is
>"Oops. We messed up. We'll do our best to fix it."
>
>I'm not naive enough to think we can fix every problem, but
>I do believe we can help make the whole thing much much
>better for everyone involved.
>
>-Doug
We hope so too...
Some of us have been around along time and have see many efforts fail through something other then good intentions. Every few years the same cycle starts up again. Some day its bound go right-hopefuly this time.
Still I wonder why the battle cry remains the same?
I wasn't so much slamming the door on AR as much as making an observation that many of the comments made on the website are the same we've heard from the PRD and seen little or no results.
Did the PRD fail? Is PRD passing the buck? What gives?
Good luck RA:+

·
Registered
124 Posts
RE: new guys-Good Luck

I for one think that this small group of people, who will travel
to each event, will help bring consistencey and thus improved
the quality of the whole series. You have a nice mix of old
hands and new blood, and you will need both to maintain the drive
to deal with the challenges that all this growth has brought.
Stop and think about what has happened to our expectations of
a "good" event over the last five years. I wish them all the best
of luck.

paul timmerman
oranizer, driver, co-driver, builder, dust-bin manager, broom operator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts