Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long time fan of rallying both SCCA and WRC, but my move to owning and driving a car is brand new as of a few weeks ago. (Thanks Gabe, love the Sentra) So naturally friends/family/neighbors ask me lots of questions..."what is that car", "whats it for" etc etc

The interesting part of this whole education process to others is that the word "rally" means almost nothing in our US vocabulary as its been misused and overused by so many ad agencies and products for the last 40 years, but with no actual coverage or familiarity with the sport itself. I liken the term "rally" to the word "sport" or "turbo" in most peoples minds. It conjures up images of speed and cool but they havent a clue what it means.

My boss at work for instance thought the Sentra was a street racing car to "race for pinks" as he put it.
My neigbor thought I was going to the Baja 500 with it. Closer but still not right.
When I say I'm "going rallying" they just give a blank stare like "ok whatever"

Do you guys run across this type of misconception, and what can be done besides just educating everyone you meet? Obviously we would all love more focus on rallying both SCCA and ultimately a WRC event here, but honestly I really want the word back to be reserved for a sport where drivers are challenged by changing road surfaces and tough conditions, not just some meaningless marketing adjective it has become.

G

·
I know what you mean... here in the deep deep south, "rally" can have some serious negative connotations. Of course you say "Rallysport" and you can actually SEE a 69 Camaro pop into thier heads. [groan] ;)

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Trivia Question

How did the word "rally" meaning a coming together such as a pep rally or a political rally or as "rally around the flag boys" get associated with the automotive sport we call rallying?

Here's a hint, think hotels on the Rivera and the year 1911.

Richard Miller:+

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Trivia Question

>How did the word "rally" meaning a coming together such as a
>pep rally or a political rally or as "rally around the flag
>boys" get associated with the automotive sport we call
>rallying?
>
>Here's a hint, think hotels on the Rivera and the year 1911.
>
>Richard Miller:+

OH OH....I KNOW......The Monte!

Do I win a prize?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

When I wear my "Rally America" t-shirt around people have no freakin' clue. It has all those dates and locations on the back and people think it's some sort of stars and bars tour for the boys in Iraq or something. When they ask I find it easier to not try and change the idea that is already in there head so I just say, "We're gonna hunt 'em down and smoke 'em outta their holes and bring 'em ta justice" or something.

Man I've had too much caffeine again. If you guys were here hanging out with me you all would be trying to talk with me but I would be doing all the talking and not shutting up and you all would be like "Shut Up Caffeine Guy! I have things to say too." But I'm just here by myself with no one to make conversation at so I'm posting like crazy and sweating from the caffeine feeling frickin' Beavis or something. Man I need a sauna to get some of these caffeines out of me.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Do a search for "rally wheels" on ebay and I guarantee you will not find Comps, Speedlines, or OZs. It seems its the general term Detroit gave their wheels when they figured out how to stamp cheap steel wheels into shapes that resembled cast alloy wheels. Weak.

Hey Jake...how 'bout telling about that smoked whitefish on the front of Cizmas' car? I hear that thing grew legs and held onto that tow hook for his life.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Whats worse is that too many people connect rally with road racing. Just do a search for rally on something like kazaa sometime. Take out the WRC stuff and half of it is just some person driving on pavement. While rally can mean tarmac these people don't realize that tarmac is part of it but that they think its all tarmac. I run into people all the time that ask me what the stuff on my hat is or people that walk by my dorm room that ask what the pictures on my walls are from (I have Tommi at the 2003 monte above my computer, a driver in an evo at germany next to that, jeff zwartz at the PPIHC next to my do and colin catching air in his old focus above my bed). Once I show them some vid clips or explain it they think its really cool and normally go so thats what rally racing is, never knew that or never would have thought thats what it is.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Not in my experience, at least now. Back in 1999 not many people knew but now after 3 years of SCCA rally being on Speed and WRC being on Speed people seem to know what is going on. My reflex is usually to start with an explanation after mentioning rally but, recently I have had a lot of people stop me and say I know. Amazingly enough I have had others (none rally or motor sport associated people) bring it up in conversations at parties ext. But I am a little different though because I tend to hang around the younger college crowd and we are much more in tune to what is new and hot :7

·
Registered
202 Posts
I start out by saying: "There's two kind of rally. One is an organized tour in street cars at legal speeds through the countryside from checkpoint to checkpoint. The other is similar, but is restricted to race cars and some of the legs are over closed roads and you go as fast as you can."

That usually gets the message across. If they can digest that and ask more questions, then I explain about the use of forest roads and how US rally differs from European rally.

andy
--
Viva la ProleRalliat!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im relatively young and relativley new to the sport, being seventeen and only following scca and wrc since last season. But I'm not ignorant to its rich history(group b etc..) I'd say I'm at that stage where I try to explain what rallying is to anyone I meet, which is usualy followed by an eye roll sigh and nod. But the few people who are interested quickly show signsa of that same undying addiction shared by most here I presume.

There allot of street racing kids who think illegal races in a straight line are awesome. When they see those same cars in Rally they're amazed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My question back to someone who asks is; "Do you watch the Speed Channel?" If "Yes" is given I say "Just like the WRC guys only on a smaller scale" It is usually met with "OH! You race what those crazy Europeans race?!" "Your nuts!"

If "No" Speed Vision then I explain that "It's basically driving as fast as we can through forest roads and such to get from point "A" to point "B" in the shortest time." It is usually met with "OH! You race what those crazy Europeans race!" "Your nuts!"

So this has prompted me to seek sponsorship from an insane asylem.:+

Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
The #1 question I get here in Ontario Is "where abouts around here do you do that?"...like they are amazed to find out it happens in Canada at all...

OR "you mean off road?"

NO! just because it isn't 4 lanes wide and coverd in asphalt doesn't mean it's not a road!

It seems most people I run into day to day have a vauge sense of what it might be but no clue as to how or where we do it...

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>The #1 question I get here in Ontario Is "where abouts
>around here do you do that?"...like they are amazed to find
>out it happens in Canada at all...
>
I showed the Lancer at a big car show in town last year, and I was enthused when a number of people actually recognized it as a rally car, "just like the WRC, right?" My enthusiasm waned though when more than one person asked me how I got it to Europe, then Australia, and South America every month. Oh how I wish......

Here's a semi-serious thought:

Let's rename the series the SCCA WRC series. I think more people now identify WRC with our style of racing than they do with the words rally or ProRally. I wonder how many billions the FIA would charge for the that!

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Other person: "What are you doing this weekend?"
Me: "I'm going to a rally."
Other person: "Oh, really? What are you protesting?"

This conversation has happened way, way too many times.

Jeff

128 Posts
I first got the bug in 1995 and no one, I mean virtually NO ONE knew what in the world I was talking about until they saw a video. (I almost ALWAYS have rally videos with me)

These days a much much larger number of people do know the sport and can even carry on a conversation without their eyes glazing over! I'm declaring that, in and of itself, a victory.

Now that the huge round stone (think stonehenge), that represents the momentum of our sport, has started to eeek forward we've got to keep pushing and pushing and pushing!!! 1,2,3 heave!

Anders had good input on how we use the word and describe 'rally' in conversation. "You're asking about my racing? Oh yeah, it's called 'Rally Racing', we race down closed roads through the woods one car at a time to see who can do it the quickest...maybe you've seen it on SpeedChannel?.."

To the purists calling rallying 'racing' is disrespectful and ,at a basic level, I agree... but you've got to also notice that it get's the message across a lot better and that afterall is what most of us are after.

Jake, it was cool to me that I figured out who's post I was reading before looking at your name! Always a pleasure...

Best wishes to everyone running Sandblast and Perce Neige this weekend!

MJ

Matthew Johnson
www.MatthewJohnson.us

·
Registered
426 Posts
Around here, most people associate a "rally race" with one of those deals where teams of (usually drunk) hooligans drive around the city collecting rather obscure items from a list put together by someone with a twisted sense of humor. Things like a business card from a Lada salesman, or an autographed photo from a "gentelman's club" etc... When Amy and I tell people our hobby is rally racing, we often get a reply like "Oh I did one of those in high school/college, whatever, once... it was a hoot!" We used to take it upon ourselves to explain to them what performance rally is, but too many blank stares later, now we just smile and nod, and laugh about it later.:p

·
You get one life,live it!
1,911 Posts
Congrats on getting Gabe's car(it's a good 'un!) I to have just purchased a Rally ready Legacy from out of state.I had to take it to AAA to get the plates (Lic # will be RALLY GB)and vin # when the girl went to check the car,she looked checked,looked again and asked what is it??? so after some time telling her about rallying,from her blank face came words "Cool"(or I don't know what the hell he's talking about) .I drive the car to work everyday and get some odd looks from the locals,can't do that in a NASCA!.
Yes rallying is an odd sport.They don't get it at work how someone can spend hours building a car and spend many more hours trying to break it and then start all over again.
OH well I like rallying and that's what matters.
See you out there.

Cheers

Chris

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts

>>How did the word "rally" meaning a coming together such as a
>>pep rally or a political rally or as "rally around the flag
>>boys" get associated with the automotive sport we call
>>rallying?
>>
>>Here's a hint, think hotels on the Rivera and the year 1911.
>>
>>Richard Miller:+
>
>OH OH....I KNOW......The Monte!
>
>Do I win a prize?
You should! Yes, the Monte Carlo rally was the start of it all. People rallied from all over Europe to Monte Carlo. The word was used in the meaning of coming together and we hijacked to mean a form of autosport.
Richard

·
Registered
265 Posts
>Other person: "Oh, really? What are you protesting?"
>
>This conversation has happened way, way too many times.

Especially when I got involved back in 1969.

TW

1 - 20 of 27 Posts