Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To help offset cabin fever this winter I plan on getting a radio license. I want to complete by internet or mail if at all possible. Where can I do this and what type of course do i need? If it matters, I will only be using this for the rally scene (in car emergencies, reaching service crew, working events).
Thanks for the input.
Bryan

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Studying can easily be done on the web. Go to http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/index.html for practice tests. However, you will need to go in person for the testing. This can be done locally. Just find a local radio club and they will help you with this. As to using your newly developed skills just for rally, I would suggest that the more you practice, the better you get. Join ARES or RACES and provide emergency communication help. Work bicycle races and marathons. They need the help and you get the practice so come the big emergency in a rally, you know exactly how to operate your equipment.
Richard

·
Registered
379 Posts
I learned half by the book, and then a year later went through each question like 30 times till i learned everything through taking this practice test: http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

It gives you the answer after each question, so it is good for learning.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Which is the basic level license that one would need to be legal at a rally? Is it Technician or General?

EDIT: Ne'ermind. Found the answer, it's Technician.

Kent Gardam

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
As has been stated, you can study on line, but you need to show up in person to take the test.

Richard keeps beating on us to do other than rally. That is a good thing. Like many other venues, ham radio is graying.

At least come to events you are not competing in and WORK. We can always use an extra body.

press on,

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
>Richard keeps beating on us to do other than rally. That is a
>good thing. Like many other venues, ham radio is graying.

Many of the HAM workers at the COG in 02 were younger folks. I think they were in a high school radio club.

The good thing was that they didn't drink as much of the beer at the after-event party ;)

·
www.tommygunrally.com
1,541 Posts
Message edited.

Please do not advocate illegal behavior on SpecialStage.com

Thank you,
Christian Edstrom
SpecialStage.com staff

·
Registered
926 Posts
I got my tech license initially for my rally team.

We (my wife/codriver and I) realized that we werent going to be able to compete in more than 2-3 events per year, but I can participate in any I can get to in a useful and interesting way having the license. I found I use it MUCH more by working events than competing. I fact since my licensed crew chief bailed on me (in favor of stage captaining events) I hardly use the radio in the rally car at all. Even if I am not part of the "official" rally comm team, having the ticket and at least an HT has been useful. For instance at IRNY I worked ATC on several stages and was generally out of earshot of the assigned ham, but I had my HT and earpiece with me so I was always aware of what was happening (or not happening and why). Having the license got me a co-driver ride at Maine as course opening, STPR as fast sweep and radio/rider with stage co-captains. I have learned a LOT (about rally as well as radio communications) just listening and I think I have been useful to the events in at least a few cases.

·
Registered
379 Posts
>To me, HAM licenses seem like a joke. No offense to anyone
>who is into radios and all that, but come on. Going through
>some big certification to use basically a CB? Buy one and use
>it when you break down. No one will call the cops on you.
>
>Just my opinion,
>Eli

without "some big certification" ham would just be filled with yokels who think like you, and all of the bands would be just as bad as cb....

And the FCC/hams DO take this stuff seriously.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>>To me, HAM licenses seem like a joke. No offense to anyone
>>who is into radios and all that, but come on. Going through
>>some big certification to use basically a CB? Buy one and
>use
>>it when you break down. No one will call the cops on you.
>>
>>Just my opinion,
>>Eli
What Eli stated is indeed illegal and taken seriously. But he has a point other than the one on his head.:)

You can operate a ham radio without a license if it is to protect human life. So if you have a radio in the car and use it only to call for help at the scene of a crash, you would be okay.

But most ham radios are slightly more difficult to operate than CB radios. So you need to practice with them. And to practice, you need to have a license.

By the way, the 6 main orgainizers of Rallye de Paris are all hams. 5 of us are members of RACES. The 6th is in the business of emergency communications and knows more about radios than the other 5 of us together.
Richard

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Shoot, that reminds I keep putting getting my license off.... Too bad my pilot's license doesn't qualify me for a HAM license. I can talk to Minneapolis Center from over Lake Michigan in the plane, but I can't talk across 10 miles in the UP with a HAM. :(

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Compared to getting your pilot's license, it's a snap, DM. Follow the Nike slogan: Just do it!

Mark B.
NM9S (Private, Instrument)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
>
>And the FCC/hams DO take this stuff seriously.

Many hams (and I am one) have as much passion about their hobby as we. We get pretty darned peeved when someone gets out on our event transits, plays 'rally ace', and violates rules and the law. So, we should be respectful of the law governing radio use too. And we particularly don't want to offend the hams who work events for us with illegal operation.

Mark B.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Look on arrl.org. Go by Radio Shack. I think they still still the books on getting your license. Do a google search on amateur radio clubs in your area and you may find some one to serve as an Elmer for you. I leave the meaning of "Elmer" up to your research. :)
Richard

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>Compared to getting your pilot's license, it's a snap, DM.
>Follow the Nike slogan: Just do it!
>
>Mark B.
>NM9S (Private, Instrument)
Dennis couldn't possibly pass the Technician license test. He is a mere shop keeper. (Whisper, whisper) Oh you mean he is an engineer and pilot and that even shopkeepers can pass the test 'cause you have to be awfully smart to stay in business. Okay, I guess Dennis could do it. SO GO TAKE THE TEST!

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
In fact

17-Dec-2005
Sponsor: NORTHERN IL VOL EXAMINERS
Time: 9:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
(815)877-4328
Email: [email protected]
VEC: W5YI VEC
5666 E STATE ST
EXAMS IN THE ST FANCIS ROOM