Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RAC anounced ticket prices for the Network Q in November.

The "event pass" which will get you into 3 stages a day is GBP75 ($120 in round numbers) for 3 days, or GBP30 ($45) a day. This does not include any of the four specator stages.

The Cardiff Super Special (run once Thursday and Friday) GBP30 ($45), and the New 1 mile Walters Arena Forest specator stage (Run once Friday and Saturday) at GBP30 ($45). If you want to get into the service area that is another GBP10 ($15) on the day.

However if you don't feel like planning ahead there will be a limited number of single stage pass tickets at GBP20 ($30) per stage.

Add parking and if you are only ordering tickets for one person there is a 10GBP surcharge for that.

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
have a read of this http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=127432

you will get more detail and some of the reaction to these charges.

The biggest change apart from the extortionate pricing, is the fact you can no longer choose where you go spectate. If you buy the event pass you are forced to pay for the Super Stupid stage which is utter wank.

It's cheeper for me to fly to Monaco and do a week on the rally there, which is insane.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). As if that greedy b-----d Dave Richards needs any MORE money!!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
We all know that David Richards makes nothing out of the various rounds of WRC events, as far as spectator charges go. Each event pays a small fee to FIA for the rights to host an event and are responsible for the costs of hosting observers from the FIA. (not usually more than 6). That is all the FIA makes out of the event other than the deals Mr Richards brokers for TV rights. We all know how much his involvement has improved the coverage here in the USA!!!!! Same day coverage each day, of each event at NO cost to the fans!!! Not a bad effort from a greedy b-----d!!!!!!!

Spectator costs are gathered by the organisers to off-set the cost of the event. I would shudder to think how much the event costs to stage but just like the USA, at the end of any WRC event the organisers don't have alot left in the bank!!!!

Maybe, just maybe the increase is to ward off the casual viewer, disruptive elements and the drunks who in recent years have been responsible for canceled stages and other on-stage problems. Drastic measures maybe, but not even a drunk idiot will go pay 30 pounds to sit on a road and force a stage cancelation!!!! Those types will go to a soccer game and throw bottles on the pitch!!!! Hooliganism (I think I invented a new word!!!!!) is rampant in European events so while the true fan may suffer (finacially) at least they may be guaranteed a stage wont be canceled and they can observe the action without the presence of a disruptive element.

The downside is that it could all backfire on the organisers. Fans in Europe are used to paying and there hasn't been much resistance in the past. They queue and queue and queue to pay entry fees to stages, maybe now they'll park in the wilderness and hike overland to a free spot away from marshaled areas where they can cause new headaches for the organisers.

Just my tuppennies worth,

Don

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
And as full of kiwi droppings as ever.
Richards is the prime force in attempting to commodify every aspect of this once exciting sport into a dainty packaged "consumer product" expressly to make it TV friendly, and who is it that owns the company which has world wide TV rights?

Well, Roving Rally Man, I met up with half a club up in beautiful Congleton in Cheshire 3 days after they came back from 2000 Rally GB or whatevr the RAC is now, and you can be your normal haughty and arrogant pain and without ever meeting a single one of them say the they are the drunks and hooligans and the riff raff you have such contempt for, but at a club meeting of around 125 people more than half went to spectate and when the club president asked "who's going back next year to the fecking Rally of fecking South fecking Wales next year?" there was a roar and a groan of disgust.

Richard's unceasing push for shorter and standardised format is ruining the WRC in the same way as horribly ironically misnamed Leader of the SCCA has ruined our sport here.

What was once an adventure and a challenge to participate in and to follow is now a mere sprint, a flashy spectacle with the machinery increasingly in the spotlight.
John Vanlandingam
Seattle, WA. 98168

PS Pete, they didn't have anything against Soth Wales or wales in general, OK! Just that they'd all done 4-6 events in Sweet Lamb already and so just seeing WRC wasn't a huge deal, the cost then for watching were less, it was the cramped little more than what they did themselve nature that had them disgusted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
John,

May I call you John or should I stoop to your level and reel off a stream of insults (and believe me, I could hit you with a torrent of adjectives that would make the "Osbournes" show look like a Kids program).

Luckily, or unluckily depending on ones view, I live near a community of Dutch descendents so can forgive you for your rantings as you have no control over the genes you inherited.

But, before you jump on your own Dictitorial Horse, go back and read my post, furthermore learn a little of the workings of the FIA. Yes, I was defending Richards. While he may be a driving force in change, he is only one voice. Maybe in your house, one voice (especially if it is yours) constitutes a majority but Richards is bound by tight controls from an Astute FIA Rally Commission in his dealings for TV Rights.

Richards is only one voice on the Manufacturers Association. Do you honestly think that a representative from ONE Team is going to turn the sport to that teams advantage????? The other Manufacturers are just going to hand it to him???? Five years ago there were three Manufacturers competing in WRC, by this year that figure has doubled!!!

Why??? The old format was a Dinosaur, for the sport to survive,let alone flourish changes had to be made. Teams were spending up to US$200 million a year for a campaign to be competitive. The sport may be huge worldwide but still couldn't support such investments.

If you have a problem with the changes, go to the FIA, start at the top with Max Moseley, then the Rally Commission, then the Manufacturers Association, then the members of whom Richards is just one individual. If you have a problem with his dealings in the TV Rights, boycott Speed Channel but you will be one of the minority if you think his involvement in the TV Rights has been a step backwards.

As far as my observations of price increases go for spectating at the RAC are concerned, READ MY POST AGAIN. It wasn't directed at the true fan, the rally fanatics!!! I mentioned only the casual viewer, the drunk hooligans and disruptive elements. I don't tolerate them in any sport so if that makes me "Haughty", then I'm proud to be and in turn, a few rungs higher up the social interaction ladder than you.

It is unfortunate that prices increase however, I don't wear blinkers and can understand the reasoning. It is unfortunate spectators wont have the freedom to view a stage where they like but I understand the reasoning. Private land owners aren't as passionate about the sport as some of us and object to throngs of people stomping over their property. For the preservation of the sport, these people have to be kept happy so the future use of roads is assured. But, as I said in my post, these changes could all backfire. It only takes a few narrowed minded individuals to ruin it for the majority.

So, before you blame Richards, the FIA, the Organisers and every other innocent party for the increases, perhaps you should look at the source.........The disruptive elements in the past that have created the present situation. And note!!!! not once did I mention Car Club Enthusiasts from Cheshire!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't expect everyone to agree with me in this forum, I enjoy the interaction but if you just want to stoop to personlised attacks in an attempt to bring me down to your level then I'll just sweep your comments under the rug where they can keep Jens' rantings company.

Don Roberts (Mister to JV)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts