Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2005 rules have been posted.

I noticed that when describing fire extinguisher required attributes section 5.6.C.2 on portable extinguishers says "All
extinguishers shall be approved for vehicular use by the DOT,
U.S. Coast Guard, SFI or FIA."

I asked the same question of Doug Robinson via email on Oct 4 when I saw the verbage in FastTrack but got no reply.

What is meant by "vehicular"?

I asked because I cannot find any portable extinguishers that claim specifically to be "approved for vehicular use". Further the USCG sets standards for "vessels" not "motor vehicles". No definiton I have seen of "vehicular" includes boats and ships - or vessels. Definitons I have seen are sometimes vague enough to lump them in but many narrow the definiton to include only overland and sometimes only over highway motorized transport.

Does anyone have a pointer to portable extinguishers that are "approved for vehicular use"?

I will cross post this to the RA forum.

G

·
RE: RA 2005 rules...define

Regular extinguishers contain a siliconized sodium bicarbonate based dry chemical with free flowing and non-caking additives. Economical Class B & C protection with lower initial cost and recharging. This chemical smothers fires in flammable liquids and pressurized gases and is electrically nonconductive. Available in a variety of types and sizes of Wheeled and stationary extinguishers.

*All extinguishers (except model A620T) are Coast Guard approved with the bracket(s) listed on the U.L. label

>>>
That's the text from the webpage. Says "Coast Guard Approved".

That is about as an explicit approval as I was ever able to find on domestically available commercial extinguishers.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: RA 2005 rules...define

I think you are missing my point and the specific requirement in the new rules.

The Coast Guard DOESNT approve extinguishers for motor vehicle use, but for vessel use. In the past the rule said it had to carry a USCG approval (or others). Now it says it must be approved for vehicular use (not vessel - vehicle).

I have seen a few that claim they are DOT approved but as far I can tell this is approval of the cylinder as labeled for transport purposes, not some sort of effectiveness approval of the contents or system since the approvals all seem to come under "Hazardous Material Marking and Labeling" or the UNxxxx system.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts