Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For those of you who don't know, I'm a student at Michigan Tech and for the past 2 years we've had drivers and co-drivers come to Tech's campus to talk to students about rallying. This helps recruit workers and being primarily an engineering school, the students love to learn about the cars and the sport. Last year Vermont Sports Car brought both Evo's and a service truck to campus on the Tursday prior to the LSPR. They gave out nearly 500 posters, some of which were signed by the drivers and co-drivers. Later in the evening we had a "structured" discussion about rallying with Mark Utecht, Chris Whiteman, Steve Gingras, Tim O'Neil (total surprise) and Cindy Krolikowski. I've been assigned to organize another campus event this fall before the LSPR, but I'm not sure what is best to do.

Here are the ideas:

Have an open ended discussion about Rallying with a few drivers much like before.

or

Have an hour or two display or cars on campus Thursday before the LSPR begins. (Lots of drivers are willing to participate)

(Both could be possible, but it all has to be organized around the practice stage)

The advisor for the Society of Automotive Engineers wants me to organize something that will draw media attention to Michigan Tech, but I'm not sure if a hour long "lecture" would do that. I'm not looking to promote Michigan Tech, I'm trying to promote rallying. If it works out, him and I could both achieve our very different goals, but I'm not sure how to do it yet.

I need any and all comments. Thank you.

-Josh
Michigan Tech Undergraduate

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
MTU

Josh-

In case you don't know, Tech is affectionately known in the rally community as Rally U. Given the number of drivers/co-drivers/workers who went there, you should have no problem putting things together. The chairman, Scott Carlborn, lives in Houghton. Jon Davis also lives in Houghton (you NEED to talk to him).

Both of my sons are currently undergrads there.

Press on,

·
Registered
285 Posts
RE: MTU

Was not the published reason for me heading North, but I too am a graduate of Rally U. Switched majors my freshman year.:7

Bill Westrick
Available Co-Driver At Large
& CFR Chief of Controls

·
Registered
583 Posts
Annual Rally Symposium?

Josh,

Why not organize your event as an Annual Rally Symposium?

With the alumni and regional support you already have, a Symposium format seems natural. Ask your rally alumni to assist in developing the agenda. Facilitate their discussions and make a video record of the proceedings each year. Have the RallyCar displays at the same time to demonstrate the technology. Make the annual video available in the public domain for use by others. Over time, your University will have documented the evolution of American Rallying.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: Annual Rally Symposium?

Rick,

That sounds like a good idea. Tech has plenty of Audio/Visual equipment to accomplish that.

Do you or anyone else have any more ideas or suggestions? This is helping me out a ton.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Josh

The rally talk has always been good. The idea of cars on campus is good. Over time this could grow into the symposium idea suggested by R Smith. If you do go this direction you should contact Ann Wysocki (she is the nicest person at tech) over in Walker in regards to getting some Scientific and Technical Communications folks on board. They are always looking for portfolio fodder and would probably want to help on the Symposium stuff.

If SAE is so interested in promoting tech and all their clean snomobile and race car crap why haven't they gotten wise and picked up the ball to create SAE Rallycar. Who cares if there is no one else to compete against yet. This would be much cooler. I suppose you need "support" from some large entity. Work the Subie angle, Fuji Heavy Industries is owned by GM. Don't the big 3 own tech anyway?

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

>Josh,
>
>Why not organize your event as an Annual Rally Symposium?
>
>With the alumni and regional support you already have, a
>Symposium
Yeah but symposium is like FOUR syllables and these are rallyistas
Why not call is "Anually Rally Rally"?

Good idea Rich,
I gave a presentation with charts and graphs and videos at South Seattle Community College in a Scaninavian Studies class and the reception was such that there were initial discussions of making it an integral part and possibly expanding the concept.
I'll see the instuctor in an hour, wonder how we could do this..............................
>
>Rich Smith
>
>Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"
>
>

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Charts? Graphs? Are you talking about rallying still? I can see the rally-Scandinavian connection, but the engineering side of me wants to see these charts and graphs you speak of.

-Josh

Vanlandingham <- Is that Dutch?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Last years event was cool and all and had a lot of insight for people who wanted to find out more about rallying, however like 70% of the people who showed up left right after the pizza and pop were served. For this reason I think a come-and-go as you please format would work nicely.
Car guys are attracted to cars soooo. I think it would be cool to have a BUNCH of cars on campus or even in the parking lot between walker and fisher. It could be sort of like a glorified parc expose with less cars. Drivers/codrivers could hang around to answere questions that the people stopping by have and maybe chat with a camera a little. Also have some pirelli girls around to make all the geeky, female-starved students drool. Just my two cents.

regards,

matt himes
major: Mech' Eng'
minor: rally

1 - 10 of 10 Posts