Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a favorite reference or advice for knocking together a basic kevlar fuel tank shield?

It looks like I could just drape over some plain weave and lay up a few (3-4-5?) layers with epoxy resin.

Is that it?

·
Rally, my drug of choice.
1983 Mazdaru BR-7
906 Posts
So years ago I went down this rabbit hole and ended up just covering my tank with plastic after being overwhelmed by the information.

But I did find some good information from people that know more than me and can explain it like I'm 5.

This was a great video that really breaks down the different type of material. TL: DW, carbon fiber lost in the cost vs strength category, and glass was recommended for impact resistance when you factor in maybe 15% more weight for the glass.

These are a couple of his videos about making a mold and how to form off them.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the video links- Definitely had been looking at kevlar on top of e glass. Or just sheet aluminum.

·
Rally, my drug of choice.
1983 Mazdaru BR-7
906 Posts
I really want to try this one day, but I get overwhelmed with what to get when it comes to the rese
HDPE if heated carefully can be "somewhat" shaped. I used a nice thick 3/16" piece and curled it around the sides of the tank.
Again, something i've always wanted to try, but get to lazy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have the pump and bags, look into innegra cloth. almost free, lighter than carbon and approaching kevlar for toughness. Not stiff. Cutting board plastic made into a weave. Get the stuff with the open weave so the resin encapsulates it better. When to Choose Innegra™

·
Registered
8 Posts
I talked to Liam's dad at NJ about making innegra panels for them but he's committed to keeping half of Rumania employed making their bodies. At that event they had three complete sets and ran the feature with cardboard and red tape on half the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts