Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I'm one of the relative new guys around here, with only 4 Club Rallys to my rally/racing resume (as a co-driver no less).

I've been looking at the SCCA structure, and I wonder why the PRB doesn't have divisional representation much like how the SOLO Board does? Is there a reason for this? Is there anyone that can explain the current structure and why it is the way it is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ken,

Performance Rally Board (PRB) members are appointed by SCCA's elected Board of Directors (BOD).

The BOD establishes all committees and boards. As a matter of policy, the BOD can follow whatever criteria it finds suitable for appointing the PRB members. The current process is somewhat of a mystery, but in general SCCA invites applications and selects PRB members from those who apply. The mystery is the selection process.

As a matter of POLICY the BOD could require regional/divisional representation, or elections, if it wanted too. The SCCA Bylaws do not specify how commitee appointments shall be made; nor do they limit the BOD from establishing whatever commitees or selection processes it desires. All committees/boards and their members serve at the pleasure of the Board of Directors.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What formal channels of communication do we, as paying members of the SCCA, have with the SCCA Board of Directors? How can I communicate to the SCCA Board that I want divisional representation in the PRB? I don't think that's an exceptional request, and I'd bet a lot of members in many other divisions would share similar feelings.

·
Registered
142 Posts
RE: Contacting SCCA's Board of Directors (BOD)

At every meeting I have been at where our BOD reps are, they virtually beg from input from members. At a July meeting Bill Westin and Phil Mellor in the SEDIV told us "how would we know how to vote if you don't give us input". I hope your representive on the Board has the same attitude. Give him a try and see.
Bill

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts

But don't tell any one that I am running for the BoD. There might be an actual rally person on the board if it was known. Okay, sarcasm mode off. Tell everyone you know in the Southwest Division to vote for me.

But as I understand the SCCA national by-laws, requiring an election to determine the members of the various boards would require a change in the by-laws. I will be glad to send any one who wishes the directions on how to accomplish this.

But just remember, it is hard to recall some one. Look at Gray Davis. He is still governor. At least for a few days more. :)

Richard J. Miller
Candidate for Board of Directors
Area 7

·
Registered
583 Posts

>But as I understand the SCCA national by-laws, requiring an
>election to determine the members of the various boards
>would require a change in the by-laws. I will be glad to
>send any one who wishes the directions on how to accomplish
>this.

Richard,

Changing the BYLAWS in not required, if the BOD chooses to hold PRB member elections (or other selection processes) as a matter of POLICY. The BOD can make that decision by itself as a matter of POLICY. The elected BOD has that power.

If the BOD is unwilling, then members could still force elections (or other processes) to be held by changing the BYLAWS.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts

Section 3. Appointment of Committees. The Board of Directors shall appoint such other committees and boards as shall be necessary to regulate the competition activities of the Club and to advise and assist the Board of Directors concerning the affairs of the Club, and shall appoint the chairperson thereof.

Section 4. Committees. The jurisdiction and procedures of such committees shall be established by the Board of Directors, which shall also specify the tenure of committee members and establish rules for the determination of quorums and voting for all committees.

Here is what the by-laws actually say. I feel that section 3 would have to be changed to allow for elections. It appears that Rich feels that Section 4 would allow the BoD to hold an election any way.

Richard

·
Registered
583 Posts

Richard,

Thank you for posting the applicable Sections 3 & 4 of the SCCA Bylaws.

Please note that Section 3 does not specify a "criteria or method" for committee/board appointments made by the BOD. Only that the BOD shall make them, including the Chairperson. That means the PRB cannot establish itself (or it's own Chairperson by itself), without BOD approval. The elected BOD is the Authority. But, the BOD is free to choose whatever criteria it deems suitable for selecting individuals they wish to appoint.

To be clear, the BOD has the power of discretion on all appointments. One year the BOD could appoint their Brothers-in-Law to the PRB if it wanted to. The following year they could make appointments based on elections from the Rally License Holders. Another year appointments could be based on Staff recommendations; or a rotation of Mfg's & Organizers if the BOD determined that was best for SCCA.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts

In other words, hold the election and appoint the winners. Okay, I can buy that. But to require an election would take a change in the by-laws.
Richard

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

> In other words, hold the election and appoint the winners. Okay, I > can buy that. But to require an election would take a change in the > by-laws.

What it comes back to is, is pushing for divisional representation on the PRB a pipe dream? Am I alone in wanting this? More over, is there a need for this here?

G

·

>What it comes back to is, is pushing for divisional
>representation on the PRB a pipe dream? Am I alone in
>wanting this? More over, is there a need for this here?

If the current movement toward NASA becomes a trend,
then by default there will be no need for the PRB.

·
Registered
583 Posts
RE: PRB Appointments

>In other words, hold the election and appoint the winners.
>Okay, I can buy that. But to require an election would take
>a change in the by-laws.<

Richard:
Yes, exactly.

Ken:
Don't loose heart. BOD members are responsible people and they ask for member input all the time. Make your case. Given the current anger of the Rally membership and PRB credibility, your suggestion may be very welcome.

Winning the hearts and minds of the BOD may not really be a problem.
But, also make your case to CEO, Steve Johnson. No doubt, the BOD will always ask his opinion.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Conversation with a mule

http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiCONVMULE.html

Here's the reference I was thinking of:

Now, the only time I'm your better is when elections come.
A man can vote, and a mule can not, but that don't worry you none.
Because you're a wise old donkey; you know what to worry about.
You knew politics wouldn't help you none, and I'm just findin' it out.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts

Indeed NASA by its corporation is hoping that people vote for them with their dollars. It is in their interest to give the customer what he wants. While SCCA is organized so that club people put on events for other club people. We in the SCCA are both the customer of SCCA and the owner of SCCA providing ourselves services. At least it is supposed to work this way. It seems at times that the ownership feeling is being lost.
Richard

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts

I've been on the PRB for almost 2 years now...

I think it would be a good thing if the BoD took a straw poll and then appointed the winners (I think a straw poll more accurately reflects what it would be than an election).

I also think there should be term limits. Although, I wouldn't kick Bill Bradshaw off the PRB for anything, and I'm sure almost none of you know who Bill is or how much he has contributed to rally over the decades. But, I still think there should be term limits.

A lot of things are up for examination within the Performance Rally community right now... how the group is lead and governed should be a response to the strategic direction of all aspects of the sport (ProRally, ClubRally and RallyCross). ProRally shouldn't get extraordinary attention simply because it has a television program.

FYI, the PRB is well aware that more members participate in ClubRally and RallyCross than in ProRally.

In the meantime, there are several open posts that need filling such as Divisional Safety Stewards, Deputy ClubRally Stewards, RallyCross Divisional Stewards... all of whom directly participate in improving the programs.

As far as the BoD goes... every time one of you writes to one of them, the PRB gets a call/letter/memo from the BoD. They hear you.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts