Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi-
maybe a dumb Q, but I never got a response from CARS officials when I emailed them...

The rulebook online was not specific enough to explain if the 5100cc was adjusted, or non-adjusted.

I have a pushrod V8 5700cc.

SO does anyone know for certain or can point me to the rulebook passsage that shows if I have a RA logbooked G5 vehicle with a 5700cc displacement LT1 pushrod Chevrolet V8, will it be accepted to run at a CARS event?

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>hi-
>maybe a dumb Q, but I never got a response from CARS officials
>when I emailed them...
>
>The rulebook online was not specific enough to explain if the
>5100cc was adjusted, or non-adjusted.
>
>I have a pushrod V8 5700cc.
>
>SO does anyone know for certain or can point me to the
>rulebook passsage that shows if I have a RA logbooked G5
>vehicle with a 5700cc displacement LT1 pushrod Chevrolet V8,
>will it be accepted to run at a CARS event?
>

JC;

I expect it will be 5100 actual, as that is the current wording. HOWEVER, I would point you to CARS NRR II D 8 which specifically covers U.S. vehicles (although it refers to SCCA in the 2005 rulebook).

See http://www.carsrally.ca/CARSRally/Portals/0/2005_Rules_NRR II_e.pdf (which is still the 2005 rules)

Adrian

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is exactly the area I had read & came up with the question. It looks as if it USED to be adjusted & is NOW non adjusted or actual 5100cc. However if they have truly adopted G5 rules, then it would be adjusted & I am good to fly at Baie...

I wish someone from CARS would email me back.

Do they ever frequent here?

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

PS- run badly... hahahaha! I am sure I will at first. The motor does not though.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>That is exactly the area I had read & came up with the
>question. It looks as if it USED to be adjusted & is NOW non
>adjusted or actual 5100cc. However if they have truly adopted
>G5 rules, then it would be adjusted & I am good to fly at
>Baie...

The U.S. vehicles section implies that, if you have a valid logbook (for SCCA, read RA/NASA), then the car needs to meet the restrictions of those rules, rather than the CARS rules (with some exceptions, like the turbo restrictor). As long as you don't need to run for CARS points, there should be no issues for a properly logbooked car. If you want to run for CARS points, the car needs to meet CARS rules.

>
>I wish someone from CARS would email me back.
>
>Do they ever frequent here?

Some of them do. Paul Westwick would be the person, but everyone is probably quite busy at the moment, transitioning the CARS leadership and getting everything in place for Perce Neiges (the weekend after S*D). After PN, things will probably relax a bit and allow more time to respond to less critical issues.

Adrian

·
Registered
730 Posts
>The rulebook online was not specific enough to explain if the
>5100cc was adjusted, or non-adjusted.
>
>I have a pushrod V8 5700cc.
>
>SO does anyone know for certain or can point me to the
>rulebook passsage that shows if I have a RA logbooked G5
>vehicle with a 5700cc displacement LT1 pushrod Chevrolet V8,
>will it be accepted to run at a CARS event?

Simple answer first: If I understand correctly, you're resident in the US, and would be running on an RA license? In that case, if you bring your RA rulebook to scrutineering, it will be accepted under the RA limits.

Please note that this has nothing to do with which log book the car has, just which license you run under. The concept is that everyone running for points in Canada is governed by the same limits (level playing field), but if you have prepared your car to RA or NASA regs, and want to come to Canada to run for fun, you're most welcome.

More complicated answer for CARS license holders: The G5 proposal (full text is item #13 in http://www.carsrally.ca/CARSRally/Portals/0/2005 Rule Change Proposals Eng.pdf ) didn't propose any change to the overall displacement limits in NRR II.D.10, it just added the class. The limits in NRR II.D.10 are without adjustment - otherwise the raw displacement limits for turbos would work out to 1470cc - so the raw displacement limit for 2wd normally aspirated really is 5100cc, for any vehicle whose log book was issued after the displacement limits were introduced (Jan 2001). The G5 rules themselves limit the class to 5100cc adjusted, which means that a CARS license holder could enter G5 in a pushrod vehicle with displacement up to 6375cc (5100cc/0.8), if that vehicle had is log book issued prior to Jan 2001, but only up to 5100cc if that vehicle had its log book issued after the displacement limits were introduced.

Simple, eh?

Paul

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx Paul!

SO, just to verify I fully understand:

-We plan to come north to have fun with an RA logbook & license & not run for points so we are OK to run a pushrod 5700cc.

-If we wanted to compete in CARS rules G5, we could not, due to later than 2001 (we're just building it now) logbooking with a greater than actual 5100cc motor, being 5700cc.

That's great! WE were just planning on coming up for fun anyway on occassion, not planning on trying to take any points away from the locals. We are building an interesting vehicle that you northerners may appreciate, and would like to experience Canadian rallying.

Thanx for your reply!

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
730 Posts
>SO, just to verify I fully understand:
>
>-We plan to come north to have fun with an RA logbook &
>license & not run for points so we are OK to run a pushrod
>5700cc.

Correct.

>-If we wanted to compete in CARS rules G5, we could not, due
>to later than 2001 (we're just building it now) logbooking
>with a greater than actual 5100cc motor, being 5700cc.

Correct.

I hope you have good fun up north!

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts