Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this will be my first time at this rally and I have some rookie questions.

What is the weather like with regards to snow?

Is it an anything goes type of weather situation and you should bring every tire in your possesion or does the weather not play that big of factor?

If snow tires are needed, what would you reccomend? Blizzacks or Hakkas? What type of Blizzacks? WS-50's?

Need some help here in the snow tire selection process as I will be coming from NC and we unfortunately do not get enough snow for me to make an educated decesion.

Bob Wall

Thanks to all who answer :)

·
aircooled
1,371 Posts
The weather is a perfect balmy 80 degrees all year long. :7

Ummm... We could get snow, rain, ice, or have nice sunny weather. You just never know in Missouri. However, February is our 2nd lowest month for precipitation, and the [a href="http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USMO0793"]average high/low[/a] is 49/28 degrees. Last year the weather was great, but in 2003 it was wet and cold. You're going to need someone else to give you advice on tire choice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the information on the weather it will come in handy when planning the trip and event.

See you there.

Bob Wall

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Bob,

You really can get anything in the 100 AW wx dept. It's been 70 and sunny, 15 degrees and bitter, and once snowed 15-20". Just the location and time of year.

If you had room you could bring Blizzacks and Hakkas, but with just so much room ,I would prefer the Hakkas in case it gets packed or icy. Bring some dry tires too like the Michelin Z series medium to hard compund; the roads are pretty hard packed, and these work if it's dry. If you have room bring a set of luggy tires, in case it's really wet; I don't think it's very clay-ey like CT, but the Z series are pretty miserable if it is mucky; maybe the Blizzacks would do this (haven't looked at them in years so dunno much about them).

My $.02....
Mark B.

·
aircooled
1,371 Posts
I was out on the roads today and they were in good shape. It had snowed about 1-2 inches the night before, but all of it melted before I ran them.

Talk to any competitors that have run before for more details, but most of the roads in the area are mainly hard packed with some loose surface gravel and a bit of sand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark,

I will probably bring some hakkas and the z series 70's and maybe some kuhmos. Matt Johnson is going to crew for me and he will definetly enjoy changing tires. :eek:

Thanks for the advice and see you there?

Bob

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
OK, Matt has lots of energy, so I expect you to keep him busy!

Probably not; we need to do an O/H on the Starion engine (it's tired) which may start today, and get the Toiletta Sillicar All-Crap (as JVL likes to call it) ready for CT. Too many opportunities for fun! Hope you do well and have a good time; it can be fast and furious, or a weather adventure.

Regards,
Mark B.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
It can be cold & snowy like in 1978 (the first half of my two career snow rallies) -

http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Vega/100acre1.jpg

or just cold. Or warmish. Tires? Seriously, investigate the Cooper Weathermasters if the long range forecasts make you think it'll be wintry. A recent winter driving comparison found the Coopers ranked amongst, if not ahead of, the likes of Alpins & Blizzaks. There are Cooper dealers most everywhere and if you don't use them rallying they are great for winter commuting.

Halley ...
RWD and normally-aspirated ROCKS, let's get it on in Group F!
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,

Thanks for the tip. Do you run tubes in them?

And are you going to be there in the Stud Bug?

To bad I did not know who you were when I was in Tulsa for 2 yrs and then at the only real school in the state....OSU for 4yrs.

Bob Wall

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I think Mike is referring to the Weathermaster ST's. They have a lot of small sipes and are good for packed now. We bought a couple fo rthe stree on Mike's recommednationa and liked them. The sidewalls are fairly thin, however.

Mark B.

·
3,979 Posts
>Mike,
>
>Thanks for the tip. Do you run tubes in them?

For rally, Hell yes! I believe we all ran tubes in the days when Cooper supported the series.

>And are you going to be there in the Stud Bug?

At this point it looks as if I'll be 'contending' for the G5 RRNC title with the Production Bug. I called Rhys Millen to see if Pontiac and/or he might be interested in loaning me a GTO to possibly win them a rally championship right off the bat but he's got a drift event that weekend and the Pikes Peak car isn't in shape to run. :-( Oh well, I'm just looking forward to getting on those MO stage roads again - and with yet another lady codriver!

>To bad I did not know who you were when I was in Tulsa for 2
>yrs and then at the only real school in the state....OSU for
>4yrs.

No kidding. Rally folk are scarce as ice races around here. "My two favorite teams are Oklahoma State University and whoever is playing OU!"

When the heck were you here?

>Bob Wall
>

Halley ...

·
3,979 Posts
>I especially like the co-driver hanging on to the drip rail
>through the open window.

Like all things, there's a story behind that too. Actually, that's a spray bottle of Windex that Art Horn (MM navvie #1) is about to use to attempt to clear the screen of some ice that formed. The heater in the Vega was non-functioning (notice cardboard on the radiator) so that was our best shot at seeing through the sunset dazzle. The windshield washers were non-functioning as well. When the tech guys said "Washers" art stuck his hand out like you see and wet down the screen. The inspector wrinkled a brow, grinned and placed a checkmark in the appropriate box! We physically finished that event but got time-barred by a SAAB stuck in a snowbank - but that's another story ...

Anyone notice my then-wife's Tigger doll taped to the antenna? Kim did a double-take when he spied that one! She wound up divorcing me because of rallying - and maybe a little Tigger abuse.

Halley ...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
>No kidding. Rally folk are scarce as ice races around here.

I was in OK from 88-96. Went to an aeronautical school in Tulsa and did some flying. Then went to OSU in their Fire Protection & Safety Engineering Program. Worked at the Famous Eskimo Joe's as a bartender to pay my way. Had to take a good Oklahoma girl with me to be my wife of course. Something about the mid-west woman. :)

>"My two favorite teams are Oklahoma State University and
>whoever is playing OU!">

What are the chances we share the same two favorite teams. Mike we might be long lost friends.

Bob Wall

Go Pokes

·
3,979 Posts
>I was in OK from 88-96.

We moved back to Oklahoma in August 88 after I'd spent three years in northern Cali and then Detroit building rally & Pikes Peak cars for a Chrysler team and then Ranger RaceTrucks and Mustangs for the Saleen Autosport Race Team. So it was Stillwater to Mannford via Oroville, Howell and Milford!

>Went to an aeronautical school in Tulsa and did some flying.

Spartan!

>Then went to OSU in their Fire Protection & Safety Engineering Program.

A world-reknowned program ...

>Worked at the Famous Eskimo Joe's as a bartender to pay my way.

I delivered Pepsi to that place in the 70s when it was a biker bar. Now, if I could just convince Stan to sponsor the Bug ...

> Had to take a good Oklahoma girl with me to be my wife of course.
>Something about the mid-west woman. :)

My first wife was not happy about us moving to Stillwater - too many attrative young ladies. Where'd you drag yours off to?

>>"My two favorite teams are Oklahoma State University and
>>whoever is playing OU!">
>
>What are the chances we share the same two favorite teams.
>Mike we might be long lost friends.
>
>Bob Wall
>
>Go Pokes

Too much like fun! It's a small world - even though some of these cross-country tows sure don't make it seem like that!

Halley ...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took my wife away from her family and placed her gently in Apex North Carolina. Home of Matt Johnson, Anders Green, Amy Fiestel, and a bunch of other rally guys. Did not know any of them at the time but we became fast friends. MJ is one of my closest and keeps me straight with regards to rally stuff.

Stillwater has changed a lot since I was there. Back in the day, when I was working at Joe's they did not have that fancy Dome and the 64,000 person party every year was untouched, for the most part, by the law. Great bands frequented the place like better than Ezra, Deep Blue Something and a host of others including of course alumni Garth Brooks with pop in acoustic gigs. When I left Joe's they had just started the dome and Stan was engaged to get married to a young waitress.

Small world indeed.

Eskimo Joe's Stud Bug...Nice ring to it

Bob Wall

1 - 18 of 18 Posts