Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a HANS device for this upcoming year and wanted to get thoughts from people who have the device currently.

--I am assuming the Model 20 would best fit the needs inside a rally car? I co-drive but my seat isn't really all that reclined. The seating angle is very close to the drivers seat.

--Would you recommend the quick-release option with the HANS? Is it something that you have found to be useful or is it not worth the extra money?

--Finally, when I buy the HANS does it come with a set of helmet anchors in the kit? I just got my Peltor with the factory pre-installed HANS posts so I wouldn't really need a set of anchors if it can save me a few bucks.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>--I am assuming the Model 20 would best fit the needs inside a
>rally car? I co-drive but my seat isn't really all that
>reclined. The seating angle is very close to the drivers
>seat.

I co-drive and use a 20. It's perfect.

>--Would you recommend the quick-release option with the HANS?
>Is it something that you have found to be useful or is it not
>worth the extra money?

I don't have it, and I can't really imagine how much quicker it can be. I can latch and unlatch the HANS in <3 seconds.

>--Finally, when I buy the HANS does it come with a set of
>helmet anchors in the kit?

Don't know.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
"Go fast then bah bah bah"
222 Posts
>rally car? I co-drive but my seat isn't really all that
>reclined. The seating angle is very close to the drivers
>seat.

I have been using a HANS device for the last 2 years with the Model 20. That is what the company recommends for the seats in a rally car.

>worth the extra money?

I have the quick releases and find them very easy to use. 2 Orange nylon lanyards come off the releases and it makes it very easy to disconnect in a roll over.

>helmet anchors in the kit? I just got my Peltor with the
>factory pre-installed HANS posts so I wouldn't really need a
>set of anchors if it can save me a few bucks.

Call them

Tim Penasack
Wazoo Racing
www.wazooracing.com

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
>rally car?
As far as I know, every rallyist is using the 20.

>worth the extra money?
I have the quick release. When I talked with the salesman, he said people think they want that feature, but most do not use it. He was correct. In almost 2 years of using my HANS, I have only used the quick release to show people how it works. Save your money.

>helmet anchors in the kit? I just got my Peltor with the
>factory pre-installed HANS posts so I wouldn't really need a
>set of anchors if it can save me a few bucks.
Dunno. Ask the salesman. If it comes "free" with the HANS, sell it on eBay.

press on,

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>I have the quick releases and find them very easy to use. 2
>Orange nylon lanyards come off the releases and it makes it
>very easy to disconnect in a roll over.

When I had my little roll-over, I exited the car, through the driver side window, wearing both my helmet and my HANS device. No problem to report there. In fact, over the last few rallies, I only take the HANS device off in long services. Otherwise, it just sits on my shoulders all the time.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>worth the extra money?

I have the quick releases, and use them on every stage. I like to remove my helmet for transits, and this way I can leave the HANS on my shoulders and underneath the belts. I tried connecting and disconnecting the standard helmet catches while it was on my head, and found if very cumbersome. Conversely, I can to the quick releases with one hand (left or right) in only a few seconds. Keep in mind, it's different for drivers and codrivers. While it never bothers me on stage, I find it very difficult to clear a 90deg intersection, such as a stop sign, with the HANS on, and since I'm ultimately responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle, I disconnect it.

In my last rollover, I found having the HANS connected was quite cumbersome (although it performed beautifully during the accident), and really impeded my movement. Popping the quick releases only took a second, and made a world of difference. Keep in mind this was upside down, pitch black, trapped in the car.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
689 Posts
I use a model 20 in my Datsun I road race , but I also intsruct at about 6 track days a year and I'm routinely hoping from my car to students street cars and never found a need for a quick disconnect. As Christian said it takes all of 3 seconds to remove. The only thing I've noticed with a HANS is backing up with the device you must relay on your mirrors as oppossed to turning around while backing.As a naive this isn't an issue
I got mine direct from HANS....check there web site about the anchors , I seem to recall the anchors as an option.

Tom

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
I don't know if you're asking about the quick-release tethers or not, but with the standard tethers, you reach behind your ear, grab the strap that's hanging there, place the latch over the post, and push in and back until it goes "snap."

It's about as difficult as latching a seatbelt in a roadcar. One time, I forgot to latch it until I started counting 5...4... I had it latched on both sides before we got to "Go!"

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
542 Posts
RE: Used HANS for almost 2 years

I use the model 20 without the quick release option. Once you learn how they go on, it is a pretty quick deal to release and only occasionally is a problem to get snapped on in less then 3 seconds or so...

We had to mount the posts (per HANS direction) into our Bell Helmets. Not too hard to do, but must be careful.

Luckily, never had to "use" the device yet...

Pe

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>How easy is it to reconnect the tethers while sitting in the
>seat at the next stage?

Like anything else, with a little practice it's easy. The important thing is to remember to add a few seconds to your pre stage routine so that you don't end up like Christian and try to strap the Hans on with five seconds to go. }(

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for all the help everyone. The HANS will be here later this week. I'm looking forward to having it on stage at 100AW.

Is there anything I should know (tips, hints, suggestions) or try to get used to before I race competitively for the first time with it? As a co-driver does it limit my mobility in a way that could affect me? Or is it unrestrictive enough that I may not even notice its on while on stage?

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts

Once it's on, I don't even notice it, on stage.

Practice putting it on, before you get to a stage. I put mine on as a unit (helmet and HANS buckled together), outside the car, and then get in the car. I have a full face helmet, and I wear glasses. Allow a bit more time to get all this together, and get buckled in the first few times.

Only real diffference is, with the straps on, during a transit, you WILL NOT be able to see as far to the side as you might like for civilian traffic (this is where you may want to unbuckle those straps).

John Atsma had a brand new one at Sno*Drift, and had no problems acclimating.

Stop by, I'm in car 60.

press on,

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When the hans is on is it supposed to be able to slide around behind the belts? I've looked around for the answer but haven't found anything yet. Basically, no matter how tight I make the harness I can still push my helmet against the back plate and push it back towards the seat. Same when I lean forward. Its not sliding out from under the belts, just sliding around under the belts. I'm guessing that in an accident that my torso moving forward would put enough tension to keep it from sliding forward?

How do you all transport your HANS and helmet around? Does anyone use the bag that HANS sells that has a separate compartment for both the HANS and a helmet? Does the Peltor fit in that bag with the visor?

Thanks for all the help.

EDIT: Also, if anyone was wondering it does come with a set of anchors and the basic tools needed to install it.

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
My team partner John Cassidy and I have used HANS for two full seasons now.

You'll appreciate the quick-release tethers on transits so you can watch for side traffic at intersections. However, we've found that the side wings on our head-restraint seats are more of an impediment than the HANS itself. Be mindful of car positiioning at intersections and it's no prob.

HANS can move around a bit under the belts even when they're cinched down.

When you hit hard, the forward motion of your body locks belts and HANS together so the system does its thing.

If you still need convincing, check out the onboard footage from our crash at Maine Forest last summer. We whacked a rock at 70+ mph, which pretty much tore the right front off and landed us on a rockpile at the bottom of a big ditch in less time than it takes to say, "well, I guess that car's trashed." The car was toast; our necks were absolutely A-OK.

www.lastditchracing.net click on downloads section

Dave G
Crash Test Dummy
Last Ditch Racing

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Feeling like an "old timer."
581 Posts
>How do you all transport your HANS and helmet around? Does
>anyone use the bag that HANS sells that has a separate
>compartment for both the HANS and a helmet?

Since I already had a helmet and helmet bag before I bought my HANS I wound up buying a sports-type bag that had a seperate compartmant on the bottom of the bag for my HANS. (It unzips on the back of the bag to open up a pocket that is actually inside the bottom of the main compartment.)

The bag also has compartments and a mesh pocket (for wet/dirty stuff) on either end, multiple front compartments, and it's big enough to hold my suit, shoes, clip-board, bag-o-pens, etc. The brand name is "NOBO/No Boundries." I think I got it at Wal-Mart for about $10-$15.

Just remember - the mannual say to keep your HANS out of sun light (when you're not using it).

Matt Kennedy
www.RockyRoadRacing.com

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Quick disconnects are a good idea

Personally, the quick disconnects are much preferred. In mine (an older model), the basic latch was not only push and slide, but required that the buckled be rotated to the proper orientation for the post. It also required a bit of strength in the fingers for (what seemed to me) an awkward angle.

The quick disconnects made it much easier.

Even though I write "HANS" in the book just before the start of every stage, I still find myself clicking up while counting down. I disconnect the left side to be able to better talk with the workers, then forget to click up again!

Welcome to the community of HANS users. I hope you never need it.

John

P.S. Mine was a gift from Donna, who decided she'd "save my neck for christmas."

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RE: Quick disconnects are a good idea

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll be out tomorrow looking for a bag for the HANS and Helmet. Hopefully I can find something pretty easily since I have to be ready to leave for 100AW in a few days!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts