Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any story as to what happened to that red Honda Civic rolled on the left side of the road? I'm not sure if it was on the actual stage section or the transit. I saw it on my ride out of the woods at around 5:45pm. It wasn't there at 8am when I drove in.

I guess there is one fool every year. Last year the one caught fire.

Pete

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Pete:

Nice to have met you at Maine.

I don't know anything about the Civic, but I do have some observations about the driving behaviour of the spectators.

I was at four different stages and I can say that I never saw anyone driving in an unsafe or even vigorous manner. In fact, I don't think that we were ever passed by anyone during the rally.

From my perspective, driving around the countryside from stage to stage, I would have never known that a rally was in progress.

Doug Woods

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Hi Pete--

No rolled red Honda observed en route SS6 or transit during our trip thru while running mid-pack...so, therefore (doh!) it must have happened later.

Pretty observant, eh?

Dave G
Co-Pilote and Rolled Spectator Car Spotter
Last Ditch Racing #912

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
926 Posts
This is second hand...

The verbal report I was given is that would have been the car of one of the mid stage ham operators leaving the stage when it was over. Since the marshals and radio teams dont leave until the stage is done for the day and Abbott was run twice, it might have been after SS9, but I could be wrong about that.

As best one of the marshals that came along behind could tell it was rolled when the driver, going about 45 entered a turn with a loose surface, lost control, went sideways then caught the outside front tire on something that didnt move like a semi-exposed rock or a rut.

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Yep, it was after SS9 (a rerun of 6). The radio operators lady friend got it sideways on all of the gravel that had been swept to the side of the road from the competitors. I was there about 10 minutes after. Fortunately there where no injuries; no smiles either. All of the panels and glass was trashed.
Jim Blumenfeld
(2/6/9 finish captain)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts