Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a website for the Coupe De' Quebec? I'm looking at a 2wd next rally car, and this Championship intersts me.

thanks

Brian

·
Registered
803 Posts
brian, there is also a 'proposed' vision of the cup for next year, with some significant changes. Its in the 'second trimester report'.

Again, its proposed, for discussion at this point.

The major change being proposed is the concept of a registration fee, to cover the television package. for 1k each registered team gets a guaranteed slot on television to promote themselves and the team (never mind if you drive well and get more exposure).

From the report, here are the 'hoped for' attributes of the championships (coupe du quebec and john nichols cup) (again - a discussin doc):

- unique status events (not regional/national events, which detract from the regional event, and also regional guys can still do national)
- television package (1 hour shows, shown 3 times, by 5 events)
- mandatory registration 1000 (to cover the tv package, but also, based on TV rate card pricing, 1 min of exposure is 500/30 secs which matches up)
- max event entry fees of 350
- multiple surfaces used on different events (ideally 2 gravel, 1 tarmac, 2 winter, possibly a 6th in 2006)
- recce (if recce), then recce and race same day, in convoy format only
- one day events, reg friday night, busy day saturday
- prize money
- manufacturers championship

My take on the registration fee, is they could make it so that the 'registered' teams become the official points scorers for the events (again this is my opinion, potentially opening up the regionals for the other guys who have regional cars that dont fit into the cup). This addresses a problem in quebec where guys that have cars that dont fit into the 2wd cup kind feel 'abandoned' (not sure if its real or not), this registration could fix it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
>That is cool!
>
>It is like, some magical rally nirvana land.
>
>I will seriously be looking into this, and Canada
>all-together for next year.
>
>1k registration fee for tv coverage is more than fair to me.
>No problem.

Matt you are so right on: Quebec is magical rally nirvana land, it's true. It's the way of the future!

-Isaac

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quebec = Rally Nirvana Land

Really, he's right!
>It is like, some magical rally nirvana land.

In Ontario, a local's typical response to a rally running past their house is:
"Grumble,grumble..lots of noise..dust...".

In Quebec, a local's typical response to a rally running past their house is:
"COOL! I'll get all my buddies over, and we'll have a great spot to watch the rally from!"

It's amazing the difference in attitudes that you see in Quebec.

Any other experiences of anyone that's run in Quebec for the first time, at any recent rallies? (Say, Baie?)

Regards,

=Frank de Kat=

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE: Quebec = Rally Nirvana Land

Matt, yes Quebec is that great.

When I ran in 2000 against Pat in PGT I remember driving to Baie' De Chaleur...a 24 hour tow from Detroit...

We were tired, near 2am and couldn't find our hotel.....I called the hotel and the French owner answered the phone "Mr. Scott? I hope"

I explained where we were and he says "Keep driving! I will be in the road for you to see."

About 20 minutes later we came over a crest and there was this old fellow in the road waving his flashlight!

We pulled in and he and his wife brought us the extra sheets / roll out beds /etc....all at near 3 or 4am.

The next morning we registered and went through tech....as I pull into the ice area, there's a group of kids say 10 years old or so and one points and yells "LOOK IT'S BRIAN SCOTT!" Me and my co-driver just looked at each other shocked!

That day will force me to rally in Quebec any time I can!

Thanks for all the info guys.

Brian

·
Registered
280 Posts

the Baie des chaleur is something special....even if we were not doing the rally some fan manage to reconised us and ask me and Véro to sign autograph????
pretty strange feeling ? you know...we were not expecting that driving a Justy ? Pat Richard must have a huge crowd of groopys folowing him all around town like the Beatles ?

the funnyest part was that my dother was there (her firts time spectating a rally) and shee was pretty impress :) seee.....here in gaspesie your daddy is a super star...LOL :+

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts

Baie-des-Chaleurs is unlike any rally I've ever seen in person. The fans are just awesome.

The whole Coupe de Quebec is a nice series. I've only run the BDC and Defi/Ste-Agathe as national entries and Rallye Sanair as a regional, but there aren't many regional championships that combine such great events over a reasonably "small" area (small for North America.) And to my knowledge the Rallye Sanair is the only all-tarmac rally left in the US (ok, so it barely deserves the title "rally," it's so much like a road race) and of course Perce Neige is the only consistently "winter" rally in North America (Sno*Drift, Maine Winter, Tall Pines, and 100 Acre Wood/Trespassers Wil are the only others I can think of and they are all too hit-or-miss.) A real driving challenge! We Yanks would do well to look north for inspiration.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts

PS If I were a new rally driver and wanted to start promoting myself for sponsorship, I'd pick Baie-des-Chaleurs if I couldn't do any other rallies, and pay someone whatever it cost to get some good photos. They may be cliche, but 1-meter high jumps in front of 5,000 spectators will catch plenty of potential sponsors' eye...

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks to Pat for the nice resume of the RSQ Rapport Trimistriel ! I could not have done it better myself !

I think it is really important for everyone to understand that what we are trying to establish for 2005 is an awesome challenge for the 2wd competitors at a reasonnable cost still giving them loads of exposure.

We are aiming for about 30 competitors in 5 or 6 different events.

We want to put the talent ahead of the budget and discover who has the best 2wd hands in North-America.

Nascar is to the americans what
Cascar is to Canadians and what
Rallye is to Quebec !

(Tribute to T !)

Julien Pilon
Vice President RSQ

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Although almost every Quebecer is a rally fan, a very few are not. However...

At Defi last year an offended local on the transit area just at the control for a stage parked his pickup across the road to block it. We had a bit of a delay, but a wrecker was brought in to pick up the pickup and move it to the ditch.

As we were getting ready to move again, a policeman came up to me. Still being young enough to presume that I'm about to be arrested, I started to lean back in trepidation. The policeman came up to within two feet of my face, looked me in the eye, and said:

"Can you believe that f*ckin' guy? I tell you, he's gonna have trouble around here for a while..."

I love rallying in Quebec.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I need to check out the Canada forums more often. This series looks incredible. Hmmmm...

What class of cars are used? Group 2ish?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The way I heard it (keep in mind as things come down the line it?s a bit of a game of telephone) was that they guy was American and the cop was a former organizer! No wonder he was pissed!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Lurch

Our team was BLOWN away by the one little rally we did in Ontario. We are looking hard at Tall Pines. Check out the entry fee.

If any other yanks are reading this and haven't been yet to Canada to rally they should FREAKING GO!!! It is awesome.

jake

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you liked the black bear you better come to tall pines! More of the same great organization, roads, and tons of spectators. Ask anyone who's done it how fun doing castledines corner is at night! One codriver said he actually heard the cheering from inside the car!!

Hope to see all you guys up there! Supps should be out in about two months. Look for even more exciting news closer to the date. Its good news, real good news.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts