RE: Provisional Start List of Rally of Turkey

Shall we get the predictions going?

1.Burns

2.Makinen

3.Sainz

4.Marko Martin

5.Loeb

6.Solberg

We could also take predictions on whether the event proceeds or becomes the victim of Iraq hostilities!

·
Registered
250 Posts
RE: Provisional Start List of Rally of Turkey / Predictions

Makinen (Will be a close fight with Marcus)

Gronholm

McRae (guess we'll find out hou durable the Xsara is)

Burns

Martin

Solberg

Auriol

Sainz

Greg,
Crew Chief
1989 GTX #291

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts

My $0.02:

I tout both McRae and Gronholm at 3-2. McRae seems to really like the Xsara, but it's reliability on a rough event is unproven. However, Gronholm is fast, fast, fast.

I am, however, interested in how Auriol and Gardemeister will finish. Skoda has shown to like rough (witness Cyprus) and seems to not finish well only by a never-ending string of bad karma (i.e. falling fire trucks).

Jeremy Oreskovich
[email protected]

**"Will Rally For Food"**

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts

1. Makkinen
2. Burns
3. Sainz

Marcus out
McRae out

Tommi is due one. He showed his old form in Sweden after a shitty shitty 2002. Snow is different, but with that kind of showing, Tommi is obviously back in old form with a revitalized car. Marcus is untouchable, but look what happened at Rally GB. McRae is about 1 in 2 for crashes, and since he didn't have a serious wipe out in Monte Carlo or Sweden, he is due. Burns is steady, and has a fast car. Sainz is the king of steady, no always first, but always in the numbers come end of the year.

Wilson

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

First day of recce is over, all teams are happy, Solberg said that the stages are very demanding and resemble Acropolis and Cyprus with just a touch of snow and occasional ice patches on the turnes facing north. Even the Whiner Extraordinaire Auriol enjoyed the recce as reported by the Turkish representative of Skoda.

Other than two stages all stages are 100 percent ready, SS5-17 Perge has been slightly shortened because a section of the road was washed away by snow and rain. The organisers are working franticly to repair a similar damage on SS2-14 Simena. This morning the president of Turkish Rally Federation confirmed that the stage will be open before tomorow when the teams are scheduled to recce Leg2, he also added that worse case scenario a small section at the end of the stage may be cancelled.

Based on what I watched this morning, one stage looks a lot like Del Sur North of the Rim with a bit more of a climb and snow.

Subaru boss David Lapworth said that the roads are very favorable for both Makkinen's and Solberg's styles and that he is confident that his team has the potential to finish first and second.

All teams had a very pleasant surprise when thay woke up this morning to start the first day of recce, the service area that was a huge dirt lot when they went to bed last night was completely paved over the night thanks to the intense efforts of the President of the Turkish Rally Federation. All teams and the FIA observer comented that the service area is probably the best one in the whole WRC.

Finally Serkan Yazici's ex-works Focus WRC has arrived. He will be driving the car that Sainz drove in Sweden in 2000. Even though the car is classified as 2000 spec, Serdar Bostanci, head of Ford Motorsport Turkey said that the car was more of a spec 2001+ because it was completely rebuilt last saturday with current WRC parts. He said that the whole team was up with only 2 hours of sleep a day. He is very optimistic that Serkan will be able to place himself in the top 10 but frankly I think it's a bit far fetched.

To be continued.....

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
124 Posts

Makinen
Grohnholm
Martin
McCrea
Solburg
Loix

Burns - accident
Rovanpera - accident
Burns - Accident

·
Registered
122 Posts

I think the Fords do very well on rough and tough events. Martin proved himself at Cyprus until he had to stop to change a tire. The 206 has improved in the tough, but doesn't match the durability of the Ford. If the 206 survives and there are many long straights, then Marcus is the winner. Otherwise I see Martin on the podium. Colin does well in the rough, but will the Xsara survive. Both Petter and Tommi can be a challenger too.

I am going to go with:
1. Martin
2. Tommi
3. Marcus

Paul Nelson

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>Burns - accident
>Rovanpera - accident
>Burns - Accident

Paul:

Hmmm. I can only assume that Burns, as usual, will claim that the first accident was not his fault, so he kept going, until he had the second accident.:)

Doug Woods

·
Registered
124 Posts

Doug,

You caught me, with my brain unplugged,

I won't go back an fix it up and ruin the joke. Burns does have
a foul attitude. 'Third sucks, HRMPH!'
Martin behind was happy with fourth. I think attitude
does matter, and Marcus has it all over Burns.

I had the right team, I meant Rovanpera. He is always good
for a crash. My opinion of McCrea has turned around. He
seems to drive in a thoughtful way these days, and his sharp
reaction might keep him safe in this new round without recce.

The Citroens looked quite good over the yumps in Sweden,
hopefully it means they will work well on smaller bumps too.
Turkey = Rim is a comparison that seems fair.

I am dreaming that the top four manufacturers cars will be
relatively even and we can see a good, close fought battle.

pt-

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Paul,

You are right, it seems like McRae matured a bit, yet again these may be his honeymoon days with his new employers.

I have to say that if he was still driving a Focus WRC he would be my pick as the winner. You have to see the roads they are very very very technical and somewhere between Cyprus-Acropolis-Sweden and Tour de Corse all on gravel though.

After seeing what the stages look like I believe whoever wins the rally will well deserve to win.

So here is my pick;
1-Gronholm
2-Makkinen
3-McRae
4-Martin
5-Rovanpera
6-Solberg

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
768 Posts

- It's going to be Demolition Derby...and nobody's going to be happy with these roads!

IF war doesn't brake out:

1. Auriol, Skoda (slow & smart)
2. Martin, Ford (fast but smart)
3. Gardemaister, Skoda (slow & smart)
4-10. Who ever is too slow to hurt the car.....

...in war:

1. HUMMER, USA
2. OTOSAN, Turkey
3. Russian KAZ, Iraq

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Second, and final, day of recce has ended. With FIA's approval the organisers decided to shorten 2 stages instead of cancelling them due to severe road errosion. The two long stages have been cut down in order not to brake the cars and avoid major mishaps, the 12km stage Simena is now cut down to 4kms and the 32km stage Perge is cut down to 24kms. All competitors agree that the organisers made the best decision by not cancelling great stages.

Today was Loeb's 29th birthday and the organisers had a surprise party for him. As expected the birthday cake was shaped after his WRC car. He commented that he didn't expect the roads to be so demanding and that he found the stages about 60 percent like last years. Loeb has participated in the Rally of Turkey last year but has failed to finish due to mechanical difficulties. He added that the pre race preparations they have done has improved the Xsara's performance on gravel and that there were many more modifications and improvements they were going to apply as the season progresses.

That's all for today, tomorow I'll post the Super Special results as they unfold.

Cheers

M.Samli

1 - 15 of 15 Posts