Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Anybody know if CARS has announced the proposed rule changes for October 15 as intended?

My guess is PFR had everyone's attention this weekend.

John
 

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
In the interest of learning how you guys do it in Canada, can someone describe to me the rule changing process that you use? I assume it's described in one of the parts of the rulebook that is not available for download.

Cheers,
Anders

ps: If anyone has an out-of-date (2004) Canadian rulebook that you wouldn't mind getting rid of, could I paypal you to cover postage to send it down to me? Actually, wait, I should just buy a new one. Do the 2006 rules come out soon? (Obviously after the proposed rule changes are finalized! ;) )
 

·
straight at T
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
>In the interest of learning how you guys do it in Canada, can
>someone describe to me the rule changing process that you use?
>I assume it's described in one of the parts of the rulebook
>that is not available for download.
>
>Cheers,
>Anders
>
>ps: If anyone has an out-of-date (2004) Canadian rulebook that
>you wouldn't mind getting rid of, could I paypal you to cover
>postage to send it down to me? Actually, wait, I should just
>buy a new one. Do the 2006 rules come out soon? (Obviously
>after the proposed rule changes are finalized! ;) )

Anders:

In the April-May timeframe, CARS sends out a mailing to all license holders soliciting input on rules changes. This typically has a mid-June cutoff date.

That input is sent to the rules committee who evaluate it. No-brainer changes (typos etc.) are accepted, some change proposals are not accepted, and some are sent out for input from the license holders in the fall timeframe.

The input from that process is combined with the accepted changes (and changes from other sources) and is compiled into the new rulebook. This is typically available in January.

Adrian
 

·
1973 WRC POR
Joined
·
2,421 Posts
>I'd have definitely suggested NOT keeping my
>log book! I hate that.

Why?

Doug Woods
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
>
>Why? (do I hate that they keep my log book)


I guess I just don't understand the need for keeping it.

At US rallies they don't keep it, and they manage to keep track of which cars do what (which is the explanation I was given for why they keep it). It's just logistically a mess becuase

a)I have to remember to find the right person at the banquet, and get it then
b)then I have to remember to put it back in the rally bag.

I'm not necessarily in rememberting-to-do-things mode after a race. Esp. if it's different from what I WANT to do, which is eat and drink and hang out. I don't mind filling out an evaluation - let's do it as part of the feeding process. Admittance to the banquet could well be an evaluation, then I can take my log book after tech. Besides, what if I DNF early and want to go home early? Don't have my log book. It's a small thing, just a small thing that I don't like.

But I love Canadian rallies otherwise -- friendliest club and people, great organization, fabulous roads! One dumb rule won't keep me from coming back.

Pat Harris
Fling Pu Datsun, #459
 

·
1973 WRC POR
Joined
·
2,421 Posts
>I guess I just don't understand the need for keeping it.
>
>Besides, what if I DNF early
>and want to go home early? Don't have my log book. It's a
>small thing, just a small thing that I don't like.
>
>But I love Canadian rallies otherwise -- friendliest club and
>people, great organization, fabulous roads! One dumb rule
>won't keep me from coming back.

Pat:

Some background on why we collect the log books.

In order to ensure that the competitor evaluation forms are filled out, you get your log book back from a Steward in exchange for a completed form.

However, this is not the main reason.

By keeping the log book, the Stewards ensure that your performance in the rally and (more importantly) any vehicle damage is noted in the log book prior to returning it to you. This serves two purposes. Say you did serious damage to your car and it is noted in the log book. At the next event, this is a heads up to the event scrutineers to check the damaged area. In addition, when the car is eventually sold, the buyer gets a truer history of the vehicle, if the log book is properly completed at each event.

If you DNF early, the Stewards (if they have prepared a proper Stewards activity plan) should always be available at every service location and at rally HQ to return your log book (with annotations about why you DNF'd) in exchange for the evaluation form.

If for some reason, you DNF and just go home, then the Stewards will fill out the log book (based on what they know) and forward the log book to CARS. CARS will then mail the log book to you.

So, maybe not a dumb rule, just different from what you are familiar with.

Glad you had a good time in Canada. Keep coming back.

Doug Woods
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top