Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>http://www.scca.org/Rally/Index.asp > "forms"

From the SCCA rulebook:

B. Open Category
1. The SCCA Open Category is comprised of three classes: Open, Group 5, and Group 2. It is the intent of these rules that vehicles competing in the Open Category at ProRally and ClubRally events be based on production vehicles. Innovation and modifications within the rules is encouraged. Non-production based vehicles (i.e., "one-off" vehicles) built from the ground up, are explicitly prohibited. In general, freedom is given to modify any component of the vehicle
providing that it is not otherwise restricted below.

a. Vehicles entered in SCCA Open class competition at all SCCA ProRally Championship and SCCA ClubRally events shall also comply with the Open Class Technology Allowances listed in Article 10.2.B.6.

2. The engine is unrestricted, but must be derived (at least the engine block) from a product line offered by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

3. For Open Class and Group 5; adjusted engine displacement must be no greater then 5100 cc. using the following multipliers:
Type Multiplier
Rotary 1.8 x Actual Displacement
Turbo/Supercharged 1.7 x Actual Displacement
Pushrod 0.8 x Actual Displacement

All applicable multipliers must be used in determining adjusted displacement.

4. Anti-lag systems:
It is strongly recommended that forced induction anti-lag systems be capable of being turned-off without the driver/codriver having to exit the passenger compartment to facilitate operation only on special stages.

5. Bodywork:
a. Exterior panels, except for allowed flares, must be visually similar to the original components, including bumpers. Except for doors, bolt-on body pieces may be constructed of an alternate material. Roof mounted, commercially available cooling vents are
allowed. Any significant deviations from road-going components available from the manufacturer of that vehicle must be approved in advance by the PRB.
b. The original windshield, A and B pillars, must remain original. The floor pan and firewall must remain original; however, they may be modified only to the extent necessary to accommodate alternate components.
c. Fenders may be modified to the extent necessary to provide tire clearance, fender flares may be added in order for the body to fully cover the tires when viewed from above.
d. Wheel diameter and width are unrestricted; however, when viewed from above, the body and/or fender flares must cover the tires and wheels.
e. The original side and rear window(s) may be replaced with a polycarbonate equivalent of equal or greater thickness than the original glass. The windshield can only be replaced with material identical to that of the original.

6. Open Class Technology Allowances (formerly Appendix O)
Performance Rally cars eligible to score points in the Driver?s Championship and/or the Manufacturer?s Championship of the 2003 SCCA ProRally Open Class shall meet the following criteria, in addition to all criteria listed in the Rules for the Open Class. Group 2 and Group 5 vehicles, while falling under the general prescriptions for Open Category, are not bound by this Article. Performance Rally vehicles that fail to comply with these regulations, but do comply with FIA Homologation requirements, shall not be eligible to score
points for the SCCA ProRally Manufacturer?s Championship or the SCCA Open Class Championship. An example of this type of car would be a vehicle constructed to current FIA World Rally Championship or FIA Group A specifications.

<snip bits that don't apply>

7. Group 5 Class: Vehicles must be 2WD, normally-aspirated, turbo-charged or supercharged models sold globally in minimum quantities of 1000. Drive configuration must remain as originally manufactured (front-engine, front-drive; rearengine, rear-drive; etc.).

Hope this helps
Adrian

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there a restrictor specified for open? 'Cause with a 5100cc limit and the 0.8 multiplier for OHV engines it looks like a person could shoehorn a big block Dodge 383 into a 2WD D50 and go to town.

Not that there'd be anything wrong with that but I'm not sure if that much potential power is the intension of the rules.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Is there a restrictor specified for open? 'Cause with a
>5100cc limit and the 0.8 multiplier for OHV engines it
>looks like a person could shoehorn a big block Dodge 383
>into a 2WD D50 and go to town.

There is a restrictor for Open, but not fot Gp5. And yes, its been done. Mike Hurst has a pretty sick Mustang.

>Not that there'd be anything wrong with that but I'm not
>sure if that much potential power is the intension of the
>rules.

The thought is that 2WD cars have issues with getting power to the ground that effectively limits the useable power.

Adrian

·
Registered
117 Posts
If there's Grp5 in Canada, that maybe my only choice. RA wants us(americans) to complete 9 coefficients in Grp2 or P ( that I don't have or really want to build), before I can run the car I've been building for 3 years.

I'm in Spokane, Wa., so I'm as close to the BC events as I am to western Wa..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts