Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In forwarding media releases to www.insidecanadianracing.com, they have decided to add a rally section to their web site but need more of us to update them on activities and send pics, stories etc, please add them to your distribution lists: here is the e mail I received from them today

"Mark:
I have created a new category for rally racing but it cannot survive if I get only releases from you. If you want to promote yourself then talk to your competitors and have them send me news. Got a friend with a camera? Then send me photos and I can post them. I will do what I can to get the news about your racing out but I need more info to do that.
Vicky McGee
Inside Canadian Racing
[email protected]"

Regards

Mark JB
www.pbrally.ca

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are keen to get anything they can get relating to motor sports. I would take a chance and send the info. So far their site is radically different to the way it was yesterday!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I feel the need to contribute my $0.02 here since promotion of the sport is something I feel strongly about. Firstly, I want to applaude Mark for his efforts - good job. Secondly, we should all be making this effort if we want to see the sport grow and, more specifically, attract sponsorship dollars.

Each rally should/does have a media/public relations person who is responsible for making sure that the rally gets coverage. Their job cannot end with the champagne splash. I understand that this is a big job for only one person, but that person must realize that they can deligate specific tasks to the rest of us. This is an important point since those of us who have an interest in a specific event, and want to contribute, are reluctant to "step on someone elses toes". Therefore, we don't contribute. There was a recent rally (no names) that currently have no results coverage (media release) on Special Stage, their regional association webpage, or even the webpage designated for that specific event (stage times are available, however). Those of us who are familiar with the sport will come here to read/post/share stories and pictures, and that's great. But what does that do to promote the sport? In addition, a list of 'rally friendly' media outlets could be created (if not already), that can be shared and expanded among all rally event organizers (perhaps the list could be hosted by the national and/or regional organizing bodies) for forwarding of media releases.

I have a philosophy that applies to marketing and politics. 'a few are viewed to represent many'!. If a politician, for instance, is sent 50 emails from people outraged about "FILL IN BLANK", he is likely to view this as the dominant public opinion, when many more people are perfectly content with the "FILL IN BLANK" decision. This works in the opposite way as well. For instance, if competitors sponsors are emailed a congratulations (from anyone) regarding the recent success of their sponsored car, they can then see the 'product recognition' that they are receiving (and if 1 person commented on seeing the product, how many more noticed it? ) As a related side note - if you want your sponsors to get this recognition, ensure a link to them is on your webpage. This obviously helps to support the competitor as well (from only 1 - one or two sentence email). This is along the same lines as what Mark is doing, he is one who represents many. He has found an outlet willing to give promotion of the sport a shot.

Anyways...ramble, ramble. I'm relatively new to the sport and maybe my $0.02 is way off target. However, most people I talk to don't know anything about the sport (including racing enthusists), and once I explain the sport to them, alot of left turns starts to look pretty boring.

Take care all,
Chad.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I'm offering $100 to teams that get their car on the radio. You can check it our in the in this thread, http://www.specialstage.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=223&topic_id=5670&mesg_id=5670&page=2
Let me know if you think you could qualify."

Great full page article for the team over the weekend and on Sunday we have to get back for the annual Kelowna Show 'n Shine hosted by the Sun FM Radio Station at which point we will be on display at their booth and doing remote cut in's with stories of the Mountain Trials event. We are also on TV once a week and have booked an in car ride along with the local TV station. Do you need my address>}(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Attn. Mr. LePoudre
The 'unnamed rally' sent material the day after the event (Sunday) to Specialstage and is still waiting for material to be posted. Perhaps if you attended Volunteer Meeting you might know of these things. I have been doing Rally promotion since 1982 and know what to do. Do you?

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
There will be a new avenue of promotion for rally in Canada starting this weekend too! We will be launching a new website for the Canadian rally scene, featuring news, event coverage, features, and multimedia from coast to coast. We will have people at both Mountain Trials and Black Bear rallies this weekend, uploading reports and images...hopefully "as it happens" if things go according to plan! We'd also like to find someone who will be at Rallye de Saguenay to provide us with some photos and reports too (if anyone knows someone who can help, please email me warwick(at)flatovercrest.com).

Flatovercrest.com will be an independent source for rally news and content, and we hope to make it a valuable resource for teams, events, and fans interested in learning more about the sport.

Stay tuned for the full launch this weekend!

Cheers,
Warwick

·
Registered
409 Posts
>happens" if things go according to plan! We'd also like to
>find someone who will be at Rallye de Saguenay to provide us
>with some photos and reports too (if anyone knows someone who
>can help, please email me warwick(at)flatovercrest.com).

Try posting a request over here:
http://www.guideauto.com/forum/FORUM.asp?FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=2&Forum_Title=Rallye

>Flatovercrest.com will be an independent source for rally news
>and content, and we hope to make it a valuable resource for
>teams, events, and fans interested in learning more about the
>sport.

Sounds pretty AWESOME!

Meanwhile, if you can find a French language contributor you'll be all set - HUGE potential for cross-cultural rally fan integration...er, party that is.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts