Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I drive the car.
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy I really started something here eh?

I again just want to point out that now that WW is getting radio play in the Seattle area... competitors in the event have a LEGITIMATE reason to ask potential sponsors for CASH.

So tell us you wise ones of rally promotion, how have you done it? Teach the rest of our sport.

Radio sponsorship? WW has it this year. Would one of our astute WW organizers please tell the rest of the rally community how this came into being so that other organizers can copy you?

RAY HOCKER! You sneaky guy you. :p I'm going to ask you again about the numbers at Rim? Paying spectators? Could it really be? PLEASE, HOW MANY? Was Rim on the radio in LA? Any insight from you my man would do the community a heap of good.

ANYONE ELSE have some good ideas?

What has worked for you?

What has not worked for you?

Let's all work together and help each other!

Charles
Viva le #295!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
RE: Sponsors and SCCA

Does anyone know if there are SCCA regulations regarding sponsors or how sponsorships are displayed on cars, etc? Can we sell space on our cars to anyone who can put anything they want on it? I couldn't find anything in the rulebook, but I'd be surprised if it was that open.

On the other hand, no one seems to mind when drivers drop their pants next to the SCCA window banner on their overturned car mid-stage. Maybe anything goes!

Kala
Fling Pu Racing
"Party in the Rear"

·
Registered
901 Posts

I believe that as long as you leave the "protected space" open, you can put whatever is in good taste for your sponsors on your car, wherever else you want.

I say "in good taste", because I assume that you'd like to represent your sponsors (all of them, when the time comes that you have more than one) in a professional-like manner; that, and the fact that as we are driving on public roads through public communities, you'd probably like to be able to go back to those areas. Cars driving through a neighborhood (the quiet zone to Pico, anyone?) with something offensive written all over them would probably equal a nasty phone call from said locals to the organizers, and the rest of us would be unhappy to have lost roads. Plus, I think the organizers would be none-too-happy with you, and as they have the right to deny anyone an entry....

Just use common sense, and leave the so-called protected space alone. You never know when we'll have to get rid of the "SCCA sponsor stickers" and put different ones on.

·
Registered
168 Posts

I just asked because I heard discussion at the National Tour about a car being protested because it had a couple Corona magnets, and something about the SCCA not allowing alcohol and tobacco ads on competition vehicles. But If I worked in the PBR Marketing department and got a nice story about fixing rally cars with PBR cans, I might be tempted to at least chip in a few cases.

Although, it would be cool if the car looked like the T & A Times...

Kala

·
[email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
438 Posts

Seems to me that Chris Havas has been carrying Sam Adams logos on his VW for several years (admittedly getting smaller and smaller as the amount of sponsorship diminished). I think that would nullify the rumor that SCCA prohibits Beer company sponsorship.

Come to think of it, the removal of tobacco sponsorship logos in F1, WRC, etc is usually dictated by local laws for the venue more than regulation by the sanctioning body. Is it possible that the "Corona" incident you heard about was triggered by local regulations rather than SCCA?

Tim

·
Registered
168 Posts

There really wasn't ever a Corona "incident." These competitors don't really have Corona sponsorship, they were just having fun. They also drove really well that day, and I think the comment about protesting the car was in jest. Nevertheless, a few people for some reason believed the statement to be true. I'm glad it's not, since most (I'm guessing here) of the sponsorship dollars spent on racing in the US and probably the world are from beer & butt companies. Which, BTW, are way more harmful than T & A ;-)

Kala
Fling Pu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts