Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I have done a few TSD rallies over the last year and we are now excited to be starting our first stage car build. We both have a good mechanical background, I am a helicopter AME and he is a tech at a Nissan dealership. We plan to continue doing TSD's and hopefully also some ice-racing this Winter in my Legacy GT as we build the 2.5RS.

Our goal is to build a fairly basic car for racing in production class in Western Canada.

I picked up this 4-door 2000 2.5RS a couple months ago as a starting point. I've put about 5000kms on it since then and no major problems have arisen. The tear down started a few weeks ago and the car is getting close to being ready for a roll cage. Removing all that sound deadening material was quite the chore but it looks nice and clean now and will look great once the cage is in and everything is painted white!

For a roll cage we are looking at picking up this weld-in cage from Custom Cages UK.

http://www.customcages.co.uk/Rollca...turer=Subaru&model=Impreza GC8&type=2014 Spec

Does anyone have any experience with this cage, or with Custom Cages in general?

I look forward to learning a lot on these forums and will post up our progress in this thread as we go.

Dave

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
I have a soft spot for the 2.5RS and it looks like there are several coming out of the woodwork which would make for some great 'spec' battles. (we had two out at the Merritt test day and I can think of a couple more that I'm hearing about.)

I'd look to a local builder for a cage before the Custom cages kit... but if you know a good welder with T-45 experience, it might be worth it. (It is a great looking design)
Note that with Custom Cages, you'll need to get the homologation certificate from them AND you'll need to send in a welding sample to them for testing. T45 isn't allowed in anything but homologated designs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Morison!

I love the 2.5RS! I looked into building a 2wd car to start with, but in the end I'm glad I got the RS. Every time I walk into the garage I can't help but grin!

I haven't ruled out the possibility of going with a local builder yet, still checking out all my options. I do know someone who is an experienced welder who has already sent in the test sample welds to Custom Cages and is looking for some work installing cages. I have also been in touch with Custom Cages and they said the cage I'm interested in will soon be FIA homologated. I'm still reading up on it though, and looking into whether it will make repairing the cage more difficult if it ever gets damaged.

Is there a list of local cage builders that have experience with rally cages? I know there is a guy in Didsbury that builds cages (which is only 20mins down the road from me!)... who else?

Thanks again,
Dave

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
someone has a cage builders map of North america .. here i googled it for you :
Cage builders map

it has some Canadian cage builders too. pretty sure its missing a bunch ...

·
4,813 Posts
Derick (in Didsbury) has done the majority of the cages in the area for the past decade or so. He does a great job and knows what's needed. If you were to take the pictures of the Custom Cages design to him I'm sure he could hit the mark for you.
The biggest problem with a 2.5RS is that you will be seriously underpowered in the class. You're effectively competing against STis and Evos, which puts you at a serious disadvantage. BUT, you should be able to learn to drive smoothly and if you can make the most of a 2.5RS then you'll be that much faster when you do get the power. That said, if there are enough coming out of the woodwork, you can always petition the region for an 'open light' class and see if that works. (it would make for good, cheap, sustainable racing)
I wouldn't worry too much about 'repairing' the cage... chances are if you get to that point you are likely starting over again anyway. Finding T45 and welding it in could be a problem from what I understand. (Also, there are no 'modifications' to a homologated cage design... so if you wanted to add a bar, or do something slightly differently, you can't)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
He could always make the trip down to North west of the US. lots of good open light competition down there

·
Registered
162 Posts
Horray for P4WD GC RSes! We just built a new one here last season and are enjoying it very much compared to the Panzer of an old Audi we used to rally.

We went the builder route and couldn't be happier. Some of the other local new builds (Rally is just getting off the ground again in the East) went the Custom Cages route and frankly at the end of the day the cost was just as much and they required enough fiddling to get fitted they could have just had the thing built.

Definitely look at Randy Zimmers book for ideas. There's a lot of things in there that come from hard lessons learned that save you a lot of hassle getting out of the way early.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses! Great looking RS Gordon! Do you happen to have a build thread for the car, or some photos from the build?

It looks like I definitely need to get a copy of Randy's book.

I'm going to call Derrick tomorrow to talk about cages since he's obviously quite experienced in the matter.

The original reason I considered getting a cage from Custom Cages is because a friend of mine, who is a welder by trade, is looking to become a dealer/installer for Custom Cages. He owns a 2.5RS himself, which he also plans on caging, along with a couple other cars. He has experience working on rally cars, but hasn't done a cage install yet. I would be able to help him out with the installation and if any questions came up we could stop and figure things out before carrying on. I'd really like to help him get things started but at the same time it would be nice to deal with someone like Derrick who has years of cage building experience. Decisions, decisions.

Another question... from what I have been reading, a homologated cage has to be built exactly as per the approved design, meaning that additional bars and other things like harness retainers can't be welded onto the cage... but really how big a problem does this pose?

Thanks,
Dave

·
4,813 Posts
The cage you linked to seems to have it all, with the exception of a harness bar. If you're talking to Custom Cages, I'd ask about that. (They'll know the rules better anyway)

We've seen many people do their own cages successfully, and we've seen many 'professional welders with cage experience' deliver unacceptable cages. (I've even seen a roll cage installed that was made from exhaust tubing...)

More qualified cage installers isn't a bad thing. If you're willing to be a test case, then go for it.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Looking at the CARS rule set..

Production 4WD:
The absolute minimum real weight of the car is set at 3350 pounds. This is the real
weight of the car, without fuel, driver, co-driver and their personal equipment

so any special plans on how to hit 3350 ?

honestly as a serious note, if you stripped a GC Down to 2700 ish with cage, I'd try to make a lead skid plate and put some HDPE plastic over that. nearly 600 pounds of ballast would really lower your center of gravity.

and i was just about to bitch and complain that their Open 4wd (non turbo) has a 2900 lbs

Thinking about trying to do big white winter rally ... I'm not so sure about strapping literally 200 pounds of ballast in the car though ... .. though i suppose i could hit a perfect 50/50 weight distribution

·
Registered
49 Posts
My '93 Talon TSI has a manufactured curb weight of 2791 it's CARS log booked and I have no added weight. There are exemptions to the minimum weights as some of the smaller 4wd cars aren't close just apply to the Technical director. Rule 12.8.7

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yeah, there's lots of open light cars in the northeast as well. I think we had 16 OL cars start STPR. I want to run Tall pines, unfortunate i'd be an Open car though.
OL is kind of a non-starter up here. Wrx's are cheaper and less rusty than n/a gc8 imprezas typically :( that doesnt mean you cant get a good deal, but a n/a subie which isnt rusty is going to cost you $4k ($6k if a 2.5rs), at which point might as well get a wrx. We also dont have the no turbo rule RA does.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've never understood the premium GC 2.5RSes go for! A moderate condition RS seems like it can easily get $5-6k where a similar condition 02-03 WRX goes for $4-5k, often with less miles. Maybe its just bugeye hate? (I like the Bugeye myself, I kind of wish I hadn't sold mine)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I got a great deal on my RS then! The car is in great shape and all maintenence was up to date with receipts and I paid half of what you guys are saying they go for.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
well if the WRX was cheaper than the RS here... ya .. it would be a a very empty class.. lol .

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can buy $5k 02-03 WRXes all day long here, but they're also salty east coast cars.

Our GC car was in my partner's family for years and was being retired, so we lucked out there. Definitely wouldn't have paid the market premium for an RS otherwise.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts