Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not in PGT any more so it doesn't affect me. But there's a 1988 BMW entered in PGT for the last several Pro rallies including Maine. I thought the rule was 12 years? Can anyone shed some light on the rule? Has it been changed? Or is it a case of what you can "get away with" until someone protests?

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Well, one thing that I pointed out to some folks is that the way that the 12- and 20-year rules are written, it could be argued that it only applied to the ProRally Championship (i.e., accumulation of points) and not to entry in ProRally events.

Specifically, Article 10.1.E says "Age limits of vehicles for SCCA ProRally Championship competition ..." and then lists those limits.

That Article could be interpreted as a limitation in the competition for the ProRally Championship, which is an accumation of points from a minimum number of events, not as a limitation on competition in events. This is similar to how a competitor can be excluded from the ProRally Championship because he did not enter and participate in the minimum number of events. Just because a competitor doesn't plan to run the minimum number of events for the championship doesn't mean that he can't enter ProRally events.

This has been pointed out to SCCA officials, but I have not received a response about whether they consider this interpretation valid.

alan

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
While the PRB is reviewing this rule they should consider that both the 12 year and the 20 year rule where valid when they were introduced.

A quick look at the Maine entry list will give you an idea that the 20 year rule is no longer needed. Plenty of new cars now, if an old one can win it will be interesting and emphasis the driver skill and team prep.

Also the 12 year P & PGT rule is not needed. The manufacturers have not showed any competitive interest in the P or PGT. As soon as a manufacturer fields a P or PGT car for the championship I would have no problem reinstating the rule. Until that point the rule is not providing any benefit to the sport.

Yes I run PGT, and yes I have defended the 12 year rule. But no manufacturer has stepped up to the plate to play, so the need to run newer cars to attract manufacturers is no longer valid.
Mike

·
Registered
583 Posts
>A quick look at the Maine entry list will give you an idea
>that the 20 year rule is no longer needed. Plenty of new
>cars now, if an old one can win it will be interesting and
>emphasis the driver skill and team prep.

Mike,

Many people agree the 20 year rule is no longer needed. It was great to see a few guys like Andrew Havas in a fast RX7 contesting the ProRally Championship against the more modern equipment. Guys like him really liven up the parade.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay, not that I will or would ever want to, or that I could afford to (<thumbing thru co-driver's wallet> "Damn, dustier than mine!")but;

Can I run my "vintage" 1990 PGT Talon at the Ojibwe ProRally next month?

-Dave LaFavor

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Can I run my "vintage" 1990 PGT Talon at the Ojibwe ProRally
>next month?

Technically, no, so enter it as a 1991 :p. You think anyone will care? Also, call it a Mitsubishi Eclipse, it might be worth some contingency money ;-).

Adrian

·
Vote Libertarian next time!
447 Posts
YOu could call it up to a 1994 and I don't think many would care. However Mitsubishi requests a VIN number on contingency forms, and from that they will know it is not an Eclipse. Don't count your contingency plans before they've hatched.

·
Registered
946 Posts
>While the PRB is reviewing this rule they should consider
>that both the 12 year and the 20 year rule where valid when
>they were introduced.
>
>A quick look at the Maine entry list will give you an idea
>that the 20 year rule is no longer needed. Plenty of new
>cars now, if an old one can win it will be interesting and
>emphasis the driver skill and team prep.
>
>Also the 12 year P & PGT rule is not needed. The
>manufacturers have not showed any competitive interest in
>the P or PGT. As soon as a manufacturer fields a P or PGT
>car for the championship I would have no problem reinstating
>the rule. Until that point the rule is not providing any
>benefit to the sport.
>
>Yes I run PGT, and yes I have defended the 12 year rule. But
>no manufacturer has stepped up to the plate to play, so the
>need to run newer cars to attract manufacturers is no longer
>valid.
>Mike

I agree. The 12 year rule is going to kill Production class. I have a 2003 Acura, but I'd rather have more cars in the class.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The 12 year rule for P and PGT is even sillier now that they allow seem welding of cars in these classes. I am sure that there are many examples of non seem welded cars that have lasted for 12+ years in competition and remained safe and solid but it would seem that allowing seem welding in theses classes greatly increases the longevity of competition cars.

observant newbie

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The age limit is pointless now that cars are seeded by speed factor or overnight reseed so that pro and club cars are mixed up at most events.

An old club car can and does run in the order of the "Pro" cars so what is the point?

I have an idea to attract Manufactures - make the national championship for 2000cc 2wd cars; boom every manufacture has a model that could compete with out major rework of the car, rather than just MItsu, Subbie, Audi, and Volvo.

Derek

1 - 12 of 12 Posts