Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned on ESPN this morning to find no less than one hour of pro jumproping competition. I know this has been discussed in many forms before, but I am still a bit confused:

How can something as silly, cheesy, and stupid as pro jumproping get national coverage, while ProRally is fighting for a half-hour of coverage a month after each race? Obviously, they're doing something quite differently than we are. Does anyone know what it is?

There's no doubt in my mind that if they're getting national coverage, we should be able to get it fairly easily.

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Well you poesd it a qustion, I'll edit your question just a tad, if it's allright with you :)

I turned on ESPN this morning to find no less than one hour
>of pro jumproping competition. I know this has been
>discussed in many forms before, but I am still a bit
>confused:
>
>How can something as silly, cheesy, and stupid as pro
>jumproping get national coverage, while ProRally is fighting
>for a half-hour of coverage a month after each race

while we have had a full time paid SCCA staff member whose single area of responsibility for 3 years was Media and Promotion?????

?
>Obviously, they're doing something quite differently than we
>are. Does anyone know what it is?

Maybe _they_ DON't have a Manufacturers Council actually running their federation, Maybe?
>
>There's no doubt in my mind that if they're getting national
>coverage, we should be able to get it fairly easily.

Should is a slippery word.

I think the 3 year failure _should_ result in firing, not a kick upstairs to run the whole Series.

Maybe the word should should be prohibited.

:)

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have not yet had the privilege of seeing pro jumproping on TV (I guess it would help if we had a TV to watch!), but can only imagine.... "I'd like to thank my sponsors, Jethro's Hemprope World and Billy Bob's Titanium Handles, yada, yada...."

Maybe each rally should consist of one stage entirely outside the car, having the crew jumping up & down in varied state of undress. That'd get the American viewers' attention!

·
Registered
115 Posts
So lets see here... I'm no convicted pervert (keyword:convicted) but let me take a stab at it.

Thousands of BEER GUZZLING, FOOTBALL WATCHING, CHEVY DRIVING, CONFEDERATE FLAG WEARING ******** turn on ESPN everyday, lord knows that even these guys get tired of the SPICE channel every once in a while so they hit the return button on their remote controls since ESPN is the only other channel that they know exists (OK! granted TNN has some good coverage of NASCAR and hunting but visualize with me) and low and behold, its everything they wanted but SPICE channel couldn't show. Adolecent girls AND boys jumping up and down working all sorts of pedophiliac wonders on their SCHMITTS soaked brains.

I mean how can we compete with that cute girl next door when our biggest sex symbol is...Paul Choinere

(If shes old enough to go to the bakery, shes old enough to get bred)

chew on that...

happy thanskgiving...noah

·
Registered
630 Posts
OK same question, but with a recently lost motorsport to the Speed Channel. Until this year Lawnmover racing had the same covereage as ProRally. How could that be, same channel and while I am amused by Lawnmover racing, it is not in the same realm of seriousness as ProRally so how could they both get the same air time?

·
Registered
116 Posts
As it was said before, it comes down to $$$$$
If the Speed Channel could make money telecasting grannies crocheting out the back of pickups (has to be something on wheels). They'd show it. It's business. $$$$$ Get it?

R. Lima

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
>working all sorts of pedophiliac wonders on their SCHMITTS
>soaked brains.

I always thought it was "Schmidts", oh well. . .

Anyhow, anybody can get on TV, you just have to pay for the privilege. e.g., SCCA pays for all its coverage. The current ProRally coverage shows primarily Mitsubyundais because that is who pays for the coverage. The OLN coverage of Laughlin certainly was more representative of the sport as it exists in the US. But that was a buy as well.

So, somebody paid to have ProJumproping televised, big whoop, frankly, I like watching cheerleading competition, sponsored by of all folks, Tampax, to jump roping while I drink my Weidemanns (The True King of Beers, but only buy it in bottles).

If maybe someone in Denver (oops, Topeka), took some of our hard earned money and got a series sponsor (like the Canuks), we could probably be watching coverage right now (and not paying a small fortune to compete in a rally). But instead, we pay to have someone require us to run "sponsor" stickers that do not trickle down to the membership, and other "sponsorships" which are just plain lame, like winning 2 tires if you win the series, but you can only get them from the specified supplier.

Anybody know anybody at Anheuser-Busch? Its a natural hand in hand, and the maybe $250K, $500K, or even $1M that they might drop in the series right now (1) is substantially more than the 3 manufacturers together; (2) might allow for some prize money; (3) might get us some real TV time; and (4) might appeal to Joe Sixpack, because you know our sport appeals to Joe Sixpack, he just doesn't know it yet.

More importantly, if rally is to be run as a business, run it as a business. SCCA Proracing is a separate for profit enitity, and you do get coverage of the Trans-am and other races, but certainly not at the level of NASCAR, or WRC. So put ProRally under the SCCA ProRacing corporate entity (or not, because based on the air-time, the SCCA ain't doing too good a job marketing, which may be due to a bureaucratic government type mindset).

Look at the WRC coverage. Now that is a business. It is all made for TV, and marketed wonderfully. Just think, WRC is NASCAR to the rest of the world. You have personalities who are fan friendly, great exciting competition, wrecks, everything a fan wants out of motorsport. Problem is that our star is eclipsed by NASCAR, and it will probably stay that way.

But, if someone with a true marketing brain, and a true marketing budget got ahold of the series, it could be a whole 'nother story. You have to pay to play, and that is not being done. Run a "pro" series as a "pro" series. If it is marketed right, it will generate its own market, just as NASCAR did. Have the manufacturers involved, have them create WRC level cars and excitement, let the rest follow in the pack. Make their technology available and affordable to the average competitor. Maybe even subsidize this as a manufacturer, so you have a large field of Mitsubyundais competeting (or only those cars competing (like Ford, Chevy, Dodge in NASCAR).

There are 400 license holders or thereabouts in the US. If the manufacturer picks the cream to subsidize, they are not alot out of pocket. Think about it: a free car, and some money to run the season as a "privateer." Ten folks a year, you might not even get to $1M. Or even make a one-make available at an affordable price, e.g., VW. Or a US Spec Super 1600, which without all the bells and whistles probably could be done for less than $50K, or the one-make car, like the Polo ($20K max), 206 or others. There are some great business models out there for rally in the rest of the world, they just have to be followed. A one make manufacture subisidized series is a perfect example.

We're in our infancy, like MX was in the 70's, getting beat by the Europeans. But who is king of the hill now in MX, the U.S.

We're the best nation of drivers in the world. With the right time and investment, we can be the top of the heap in rally, as well as any other motorsport. But we need a visionary and venture capital to lead us. Sell it to TV as a made for TV spectacle. It will sell due to the nature of the sport, and everybody will benefit.

Anyhow, enough of my post-turkey rant. Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Wilson

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>More importantly, if rally is to be run as a business, run
>it as a business. SCCA Proracing is a separate for profit
>enitity, and you do get coverage of the Trans-am and other
>races, but certainly not at the level of NASCAR, or WRC. So
>put ProRally under the SCCA ProRacing corporate entity (or
>not, because based on the air-time, the SCCA ain't doing too
>good a job marketing, which may be due to a bureaucratic
>government type mindset).

NOOOOOOO! Not unles we get a group outside the SCCA to administer and run the series. SCCA Proracing does not have a good track record when it administers a series on its own (How many times did Can-Am die?).

Adrian :p

·
Registered
946 Posts
>I think the 3 year failure _should_ result in firing, not a
>kick upstairs to run the whole Series.

EDIT: I think the 3 year failure _should_ result in firing, not a kick upstairs to RUIN the whole Series?

·
Registered
946 Posts
>OK same question, but with a recently lost motorsport to the
>Speed Channel. Until this year Lawnmover racing had the same
>covereage as ProRally. How could that be, same channel and
>while I am amused by Lawnmover racing, it is not in the same
>realm of seriousness as ProRally so how could they both get
>the same air time?

Gotta keep getting plugs from the NASCAR guys, and we'll be fine. Maybe we should call Mr France and ask him to help us, as his drivers love that "rally" stuff.

·
Registered
946 Posts
>I have not yet had the privilege of seeing pro jumproping on
>TV (I guess it would help if we had a TV to watch!), but can
>only imagine.... "I'd like to thank my sponsors, Jethro's
>Hemprope World and Billy Bob's Titanium Handles, yada,
>yada...."
>
>Maybe each rally should consist of one stage entirely
>outside the car, having the crew jumping up & down in varied
>state of undress. That'd get the American viewers'
>attention!

I don't know if the American public is ready for John Lane.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>>I think the 3 year failure _should_ result in firing, not a
>>kick upstairs to run the whole Series.
>
>EDIT: I think the 3 year failure _should_ result in firing,
>not a kick upstairs to RUIN the whole Series?

thanks Trevor, I am a bit of a sloppy typist, aren't I.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
The SCCA coverage on SPEED has been lame. The same cars, crossing the finish control with the announcer saying what their times were.

Want to see good coverage? Order a 2002 CARS tape from RallySport after TallPines coverage is completed. Top10 list with no favortism, all the class winners, gobs of in-car video (sometimes with split-screen comparasions), 2 non-monotone commentators with rally experience, lively interaction and a sense of humor, jammin tunes, good graphics, no infomercials, just the right amount of sponsor coverage .... Its not WRC caliber but lightyears ahead of SPEED's SCCA coverage. And these guys do 2 seperate shows for both English & French.

Hats off to the TV2Go crew who produce the CARS coverage.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Trevor said:

>I don't know if the American pubic is ready for John Lane.

Hey Trevor....They all want the bad boy!! I could shave my butt if that makes the view more paletable. I have been tanning, so no-one will be accusing me of having a 'hairy white butt' to scare them with. Remember....When I finish, it doesn't come out!!
I'm still waiting to see if you are still a wimp, Trevor ;)
Hope that everyone had a nice day with family and friends.
John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

·
Registered
946 Posts
>>>I think the 3 year failure _should_ result in firing, not a
>>>kick upstairs to run the whole Series.
>>
>>EDIT: I think the 3 year failure _should_ result in firing,
>>not a kick upstairs to RUIN the whole Series?
>
>thanks Trevor, I am a bit of a sloppy typist, aren't I.
>
>
>
>
>
>John Vanlandingham
>Seattle, WA. 98168
>
>Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

At some point last year I saw the light. I'm now one of your groupies. At least most of the time. Sometimes I can't understand your wit, but I'm sure I have company there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
why has the "marketing guru" not "turned this around" do ya think?
would this not be his job? tv=media right??????????

josh long

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
281 Posts
he's not the marketing guru anymore, he is now the series director... Marketing is now beneath him, his eyes are on the new prize... the rule book... :)

Lest it be thought that I am bashing someone and yet ANOTHER thread gets closed here, all of the above comments are tongue in cheek..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.