Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Pikes Peak, what an eventful weekend.

We all had a great time, and I would like to congratulate everybody, it was an amazing race.

My hightlights were running down the mountain from Devils Playground to Glenn Cove to meet Stig Blomquist (sorry Julie, Ami, and Russ), hanging with the Dodge crew (congrats Cindy, Doug, Paul, Pete, Chris, and Mike), getting blown off by Jesse James, and watching Workum's car run (congratulations Graham). Seventh place with a car that was finished last weekend, and run for the first time in Colorado, amazing.

Also I could not believe that the helicopter only filmed Jesse James, and Rhys Millen until I read the paper this morning. It all made sense, Jesse hired Rhys to build his rig for Monster Garage. A 1000 Hp Blazer, that got beat by John Hamilton in a Golf TDI. Way cool.

OK I am going to bed,

BoBy is out

·
Registered
77 Posts
>
>Also I could not believe that the helicopter only filmed
>Jesse James, and Rhys Millen until I read the paper this
>morning. It all made sense, Jesse hired Rhys to build his
>rig for Monster Garage. A 1000 Hp Blazer, that got beat by
>John Hamilton in a Golf TDI. Way cool.

WOW....so the rumors are that it is 1000 HP....!:7

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
The Monster Garage Blazer was built by none other than one of our own! That's right, a fellow rally co-driver and SpecialStage regular was on the team that worked its madness on a perfectly good truck. (I understand, as you mentioned, that Rhys was also involved.) I won't spoil the secret (no, it wasn't me,) but make sure you watch the show on Aug. 2.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
452 Posts
>Also, anyone who has driven an NA car up the hill... Is it
>pointless to go with 200 NA hp?

No way! It was fantastic. It would have been just as fantastic and fun if we were in a 100 NA hp car. Just getting to the top in whatever you brought to the hill is what it's all about.

We had fast runs down low, where we had a little more power and at the top, you just gotta run smooth.

We're pretty confident that we would have beat the old Production class record, had we not had that little, ahem, incident involving the side of the mountain and bending the crap out of control arms and struts, both front and back.

When we got to the top, I think it was Jeff Secor who said (after looking at the damage) "you'll be even more of a hero in the eyes of the spectators for getting up here after crashing"...

Mark Tabor
Acura RSX Type S
www.taborrallyteam.com

·
Registered
582 Posts
>watching Workum's car run
>(congratulations Graham). Seventh place with a car that was
>finished last weekend, and run for the first time in
>Colorado, amazing.

We were all stoked that the STi ran up the mountain w/o major problems. 3rd in Open and 7th overall is pretty respectable for a car that had little testing prior to the event.

I was especially happy since I drove it out on Monday and we got it there before our revised testing time of Tuesday lunchtime. :D

The highlight of my week besides the 16+ hr days and the stupidity of running an 03:00 stage was getting to be apart of a good crew and having the time of my life driving Wyeth Gubelman's Grp. N to and from Pikes Peak. :D

Cheers!
-mykr.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>The highlight of my week besides the 16+ hr days and the
>stupidity of running an 03:00 stage was getting to be apart
>of a good crew ...

Odd how different perspectives see things. In the early days of Pro Rally, 3:00(AM) meant the rally would be over in another five hours, and there was only one service left. Of course, that's exactly what it meant in your case, but you weren't seeing it as the end of a twenty hour rally, as we did.

·
Registered
285 Posts
>Odd how different perspectives see things. In the early days
>of Pro Rally, 3:00(AM) meant the rally would be over in
>another five hours, and there was only one service left. Of
>course, that's exactly what it meant in your case, but you
>weren't seeing it as the end of a twenty hour rally, as we
>did.

Not to turn this into another topic, but Joe is right. I remember way too many events where you were watching the sun come up while driving back into town, knowing that you were going to climb back into the car for a 12:00 restart and do it all over again.

Unfortunately, our ride encountered issues and we were not able to run the hill, but actually the thought of being on the hill that early was exciting. Watching the morning from the mountain would be something to remember.

Damn Joe, now I feel real old.

Bill Westrick
Available Co-Driver At Large
& CFR Chief of Controls

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.