Special Stage Forums banner
201 - 209 of 209 Posts

·
Jason McDaniel
308 Posts
Why didn't the unlimited cars run first? The gravel portions were PERFECT at the Ski Area at 9-10am. I think they put down some of that calcium chloride.
I was in the pits crewing for my girlfriend in Pro-750. It looked like the Monster team was watching the weather and tried to time it so they would get the very last of the good weather, leaving the other unlimited competitors to run in wet conditions.

One of the other spectators thought this was dirty pool. I thought it was a good strategy. The Unlimited class top qualifier gets to go first, and makes the call for when the class runs. Had Rhys been the top qualifier, it would have been his call.

·
Rapidly filling your mirrors
315 Posts
One of the other spectators thought this was dirty pool. I thought it was a good strategy. The Unlimited class top qualifier gets to go first, and makes the call for when the class runs. Had Rhys been the top qualifier, it would have been his call.
I think both. I opted for first in 07, then when it began to rain after 12 changed my mind and opted to go last. So long as you're not in line on the clock there's nothing preventing one from playing the strategy as you see fit. A reward for fast qualy is due. (And not a trophy please)

What I don't agree with was putting the entire field on hold until his run was over. Since when did that become a format? Did it apply to the others behind him? (our internet radio was spotty at best) Nothing like knowing it's going to rain soon and dragging out the show huh?

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·

·
Can't we go any faster?
486 Posts
I think that was Rookies Corner. He got pretty lucky there! All we need is "Group B" level spectators, and he would've been pushed back onto the road in seconds.

Dave
He should have gone off at Engineer's then. I remember hearing some of first few people at the car ask if we wanted back on the road.

Then there was that guy that thought the fluid from our engine bay was going to start a fire. I had to explain to him the composition of two hydrogen and one oxygen atom couldn't catch fire. Intercooler sprayer lines were still pumping water.

And then the ants, of which a few still remain in my driving suit. Little buggers are getting washed tonight though.

·
Jason McDaniel
308 Posts
What I don't agree with was putting the entire field on hold until his run was over. Since when did that become a format? Did it apply to the others behind him? (our internet radio was spotty at best) Nothing like knowing it's going to rain soon and dragging out the show huh?
I haven't been there as many times as you, but I thought that in 2009 the Unlimiteds ran one at a time and each finished before the next started. The other big wait was a delay in Rhys starting. Apparently, his transponder wasn't working and it took a while to get it sorted.

·
KB-AG in WRC? Awesome!
702 Posts
It's true. They let the unlimiteds go up with the course to themselves one by one, and the top unlimited qualifier can choose what time the group will run.

201 - 209 of 209 Posts