Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here's a topic guaranteed to get hot. What do you all think about the ever faster cars in ARA? Good challenge for Subaru finally? Unfair to less wealthy open competitors? Are they even relevant since there's so few?

·
Shifting and drifting
513 Posts
That’s a good article about the competition in ARA. It is always good to have more balanced choices in cars, at whatever the cost as that seems to not be an issue. Open class allows more variants and options to the point of the cool V8 Sonic. If the ARA rules were to restrict only to the FIA rule set, Subaru would have to leave - or if there is even a group N any more, have to compete there. Which would be a one man band.

The competition is tight and fast. Don’t mess with any adjustments at this point in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s a good article about the competition in ARA. It is always good to have more balanced choices in cars, at whatever the cost as that seems to not be an issue. Open class allows more variants and options to the point of the cool V8 Sonic. If the ARA rules were to restrict only to the FIA rule set, Subaru would have to leave - or if there is even a group N any more, have to compete there. Which would be a one man band.

The competition is tight and fast. Don’t mess with any adjustments at this point in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Removing the ARA business issues though, is having a series where only a few people can ever win a good thing? Personally this is why I like 2wd. More variety. Less cost.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Removing the ARA business issues though, is having a series where only a few people can ever win a good thing? Personally this is why I like 2wd. More variety. Less cost.
Hasn't it always been that way, though? We have full fields, 40-60 cars. Has it ever been that more than 4-6 of those cars were really contending for the overall? The other 90% have just as much fun or more. I did.

Reactions: bue car

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hasn't it always been that way, though? We have full fields, 40-60 cars. Has it ever been that more than 4-6 of those cars were really contending for the overall? The other 90% have just as much fun or more. I did.
It's certainly been that way for a while with Subaru USA team dominating. But now we have wrc cars. Is it worse? Point being should there be a cap to keep cost down and incentivize entries? I guess if people are happy with winning their class but not overall it's moo.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's certainly been that way for a while with Subaru USA team dominating. But now we have wrc cars. Is it worse? Point being should there be a cap to keep cost down and incentivize entries? I guess if people are happy with winning their class but not overall it's moo.
No, I get what your saying. IMHO it's a solution in search of a problem. We're not short entries. Unless you're in a strict formula series or tony Stewart's SRX, money wins.

There's always someone with more money. How do you work a "cap"? HP? Are you going to dyno the cars? They'd just put the funding in the rest of the tech, tires, suspension, ECU, transmission, active diffs x 3. Lightweight everything. Only thing you could possibly do is work a claimer series. But whose going to claim a $100,000 rally car?

I think it's cool as hell that there's 3-4 unobtainable cars. Brings the fans and I don't have to fly to Europe to see the good stuff. I think it's this way in most not-major-league sports. Here in mid Missouri, they powerboat race at the Lake of the Ozarks. Everything from good old boys locals to full on million dollar world class offshore catamarans.come to think of it...a lot like rally! I doubt anyone would have a better weekend if they put throttle stops on the offshores.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if it were up to me I would keep things closer to production other than saftey and endurance. Real cars real roads. I just want to see more diversity at the top where someone not in a super car could win.

·
Registered
'85 VW GTI
11 Posts
Ok, for the rest of us mortals that have to decide if is really is disposal income we're spending, it's a non-issue what the top teams are doing. It's like a 300# guy sitting on the couch every weekend griping about how bad a pro stick-and-ball player is. Or another example, someone on a Subi forum shit talking about KB's driving skill. I invest the time, energy, and effort to test myself. As friends are able to come to a race, we bond, we are challenged, and we try and get better. I know I will never get an overall. I also know our rules allow for innovation. To me that is the heart of racing. Being able to out think, out work, out prepare, or out perform your competitors. Creativity and willingness to put in the effort is where the reward is. We rarely respect the team that just buys the best and comes in expecting to do well.
Careful what you advocate for, we will end up with with IROC or some other spec series, where the motors are sealed and cost 15k for a approved rebuild. Or maybe a Production class where you have to use everything OEM even though it breaks every race. Let the big boys play, and we will have fun scrounging for what we can to make our effort work better. I for one love the variety. It's fun to be able to compete in a 35 year old car and still feel like I'm in the game.

·
Registered
'85 XR4TI
87 Posts
honestly here, I'm just posting for the sake of posting.. But, I think one of the great things about US rally is that it's still a place where you see a big variety of cars running and it's accessible to folks like me without big resources to spend on it. It's kinda irrelevant what the really pointy end of the field is doing since only a few folks do enough events to worry about points and you can always compare stage times to cars that are similar to yours to see where you're at.

I've wondered if it would make it more fun if we had a championship that was tailored to the mid pack budget competitor. maybe smaller regional competitions that only need a couple events worth of points to be a contender. What do yall think? any great ideas out there? more posts will save the rally forum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts