Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some Sad news for all rally fans and in particular those oldies that have met Possum on his USA visits. I'll endeavour to keep you updated.

Kiwi rally ace Possum Bourne is critically ill, after he was involved in a
head-on smash near Wanaka.

Bourne was driving down the race course after completing reconnaissance for
the Race to the Sky event at Cardrona Valley.

He collided with a car coming the other way.

Both drivers were in normal road cars, travelling around 60 kilometres an
hour.

Possum Bourne and the driver of the other car were both airlifted to Dunedin
Hospital.

Hospital staff describe Bourne's condition as critical, but won't given any
more details.

The other driver has a broken leg.

Organisers are now discussing whether to go ahead with the event.

Constable Lyn Donaldson of Wanaka Police, says they're carrying out an
extensive investigation.

The cars are still at the scene.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>Some Sad news for all rally fans and in particular those
>oldies that have met Possum on his USA visits. I'll

I have never had the pleasure to meet Mr. Bourne, although he literally almost ran me over on a stage at the '86 Olympus Rally in his Leone. Admittedly I was standing at a rather ill-advised spot... I didn't know I could move so fast! He didn't miss by much.

All the best to Possum and his family.

Ben

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Saturday Night NZ Time
The Race to the Sky hill climb near Wanaka went ahead on Saturday, despite Friday's accident involving Possum Bourne.

The rally ace is fighting for his life in Dunedin hospital after a crash involving fellow competitor Mike Barltrop as they were looking over the course.

He underwent surgery on Friday night and his condition is still critical. Barltrop is in a stable condition.

It took rescuers an hour to cut them out of their wrecks before they were airlifted to hospital.

Police said speed was not a factor in the crash.

Race promoter Grant Aitken says the accident is hard to understand.

Monster Storms Through

Monster Tajima stormed through the practice run, shattering his own record set in 1999, by clocking 8m 19 on the gruelling 15 kilometre road.

Tajima and the rest of the field will compete in two qualifying rounds before the main event on Sunday afternoon.

Defending King of the Mountain champion Rod Millen had second fastest practice time in 8m 45.

Millen echoed the thoughts of all the competitors when he paid tribute to Possum Bourne.

Thoughts With Family

Motorsport New Zealand said it's thoughts were with Bourne and his family.

President Steven Kennedy said like most of New Zealand, he was shocked when he heard about the incident.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Upgraded from critical to "serious but stable".

Possum Bourne condition update - Saturday evening

Subaru Rally Team Australia driver Possum Bourne is out of the operating theatreat Dunedin Hospital, New Zealand, where he is now listed in a serious but stablecondition after leg and head injuries sustained in a traffic accident yesterday.

The operation was to surgically stabilise his broken legs with pins, which wassuccessful.

He is now resting. Part of the ongoing treatment is to keep him asleep in a druginduced coma.

Possum's wife Peggy and his family remain at his side.
Peggy said: "Every day he remains stable is important. But we're through the firstday and we've just got to take it day-by-day. The kids and I, and all the family, arejust so grateful for the level of support we've all received at this very difficult time.

"Everybody who has been involved with Possum has been wonderful, from the crewon site at the accident, to the air ambulance team who got him to Dunedin and the staffat the Dunedin Hospital."

The accident occurred near Queenstown, on New Zealand's south island.

·
Registered
555 Posts
From www.worldrallynews.com

Bourne support switched off
April 28, 2003

The outlook for New Zealander ?Possum? Bourne, seriously injured in an accident 10 days ago, has deteriorated following a decision to switch off the life support machine.

Subaru stalwart Bourne was rushed to hospital after a road accident while he was preparing for the Race to the Sky Hillclimb near Queenstown.

A statement from the hospital in Dunedin said: ?Possum suffered a severe brain injury at the initial incident on Friday 18 April and has been managed very actively until now.

?The extent and severity of the injury was not fully apparent until the weekend just gone, when ventilation support was decreased but he deteriorated and had to go back onto full support.

?Evaluation today, including a brain scan, confirms the original injury was very severe and continuing full support is no longer in ?Possum?s best interests.?

Very sad news. My thoughts are with their family today.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is very sad news.

I went to the Rally of Australia last year for my vacation and got the chance to meet the man (I was with a bunch of Australian Subaru owners and rally enthusiasts). The Monday following the rally he gave us all rides in his car on part of the Rally of Australia course. (A ride I'll never forget.)

The guy was a class act, and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
:'(

·
Registered
907 Posts
"Sad reports in Australian news are that Possum has now passed away shortly after his life support was switched. Rest in Peace you champion of true gentlemen."

:(

-george

·
Registered
151 Posts
A gentleman, yes....

I recall about 10 years ago when his co-driver (Rodger Freeth, I believe) was killed at Rally Australia.

After that, Possum had plates on his rally car with the the abbreviation "ROG" or "ROJ" to honor his former teammate.

Nice. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RE: Possum is Hanging in.

As at 3-00pm Tuesday NZ time, Possum was still with us so don't give up on him yet!!!!!!

You can send a message of encouragement on his website:

www.possumpwrc.co.nz

There are over 4,600 messages there already, just a small indication on how much we are rooting for our boy.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
RE: Possum is Hanging in.

Sad day. Condolences to his family.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts