Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight's (Mon, 26 Jan) local (Grand Rapids, MI) weather forecast just predicted big snow for Sno*Drift area. THEY said 10-15". ymmv

press on,

·
Registered
183 Posts
You mean we're going to be racing on snow? That's crazy! Is it too late to back out? ;)

Seriously though, looking forward to my first proper snow rally. After spectating in Sweden last year, I've been itching to take part in one - I'll be on the right side of Patrick Moro's WRX.

Keep those weather forecasts coming...

Neil.
Team SoCalRally Audi Quattro (usually)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If I were planning to Fly in to a northern location -- I'd start looking into alternate plans: maybe fly into Detroit or Flint and drive north...

Check with Traverse City and see how Lake Effect snow effects their ability to stay open.

Good Luck!
Mike

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Latest weather reports predict 24" to accumulate Thursday evening.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>If I were planning to Fly in to a northern location -- I'd
>start looking into alternate plans: maybe fly into Detroit
>or Flint and drive north...
>
>Check with Traverse City and see how Lake Effect snow
>effects their ability to stay open.
>
>Good Luck!
>Mike

I'm glad I'm flying into Flint

Pete

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
>Latest weather reports predict 24" to accumulate Thursday
>evening.
>

You've been watching the weather "forecasts" on the Detroit TV stations, haven't you?

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here in fargo we just got a good foot-16 inches of snow dumped on us over the weekend.

hopefully some will make it on over there in time:+

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
What are the access roads connecting to the stages like for snow cover? Are they usually plowed or anything? I'm trying to remember back to last year, but I had my Impreza, so it didn't really matter. Plus,the roads were well traveled, so the snow was packed down. I'm looking to get braver this year, and I've got a few spots picked out. What doesn't help is that I will be in a FWD rental, possibly with bologna skins for tires. I don't want to plan a route, then realize there is 2 feet of snow on that road...or even a moderate accumulation sitting unplowed. Last thing I want is to get stuck.

So yeah, that's pretty much my question....any help is appreciated! Heh, or if anyone has an AWD vehicle to borrow in trade for pictures ;)

Pete

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
There are two roads I can think of that you can find on a map that would lead to a stage that would be impassable in anything but a truck with good tires and 4wd.

All of the rest of the roads a Photog might want to travel are typically well plowed.

Remeber if you don't have a hard cards you are only allowed to attend spectator areas unless you are one of our Marshals.

"typically well plowed" -- depending on how much snow Montmorency County continues to get there may be very few roads well plowed. I think the forcast has snow slowing after Wednesday night when the Snow Advisory is lifted, which should give the road commission enough time to dig the roads out.

No matter what your plans the geographic area to cover is relatively tiny for a rally, so you can change your mind and arrive to a new location in 10-20 minutes.

See ya in the Sno,
Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Soooooo How much fresh snow does sno-drift have in the last 24hrs?

Having lived in Michigan I know how accurate their weather
forecasting can be.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I, like many others, live here in Southern California. Can someone please tell us what the hell "snow" is?

·
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Peter, Peter, Peter-

Be carefull what you ask for. A year ago you might have asked the same question about rain.

That said, I won't mention the E word (earthquake).

>I, like many others, live here in Southern California. Can
>someone please tell us what the hell "snow" is?

press on,

·
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SNOW! at Sno*Drift

Well, I think I did finally explain to some of the California guys (Bruce, Sans, and Ralph) that the powdery white stuff in Northern Michgan is free and different than the stuff you guys buy on street corners in California.

AND, we even used some of it to our advantage (bouncing off more than a few times on stage). Almost Canadian like.

press on,

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
RE: SNOW! at Sno*Drift

Yeah, it was nice to see those snowbanks along the sides of the roads. They were mentally reassuring even if not physically hard packed but they were a lot better than hitting the dirt banks like last year. However they weren't exactly reliable enough to plan on leaning on too often in the corners. We all got to see a number of cars that had slid off through the banks into the soft stuff.

So there's a story circulating that ACP stopped on stage 7 to try to help pull Utecht back on the road at a time when ACP had won most of the first half dozen stages. ACP, you do honor to the traditions of the sport!

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Unfortunately we only succeeded in pulling Utecht more deeply into the bank - should have pulled him the other way.

I'd like to say that we did it while leading the rally, but we'd taken road points on the previous transit to reattach the serpentine belt, so we reckoned we were out of contention for the win. But hey - ask not for whom the rope tolls, it tows for thee. Later in the event when we'd resigned ourselves to tire testing on different surfaces and went in a bank (trust me, C5s don't brake well on ice!) none other than Travis Pastrana pulled us off. Now there's a guy who's rally karma shot waaaay waaay up on this event.

But contrary to your thoughts about the banks, we used them a lot, on both sides of the road - they were juuuuust right:

www.onalimbracing.com/gallery2/view_photo.php?set_albumName=2004snodrift&id=IMG_2228

www.onalimbracing.com/gallery2/view_photo.php?set_albumName=2004snodrift&id=IMG_1937

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts

>Unfortunately we only succeeded in pulling Utecht more
>deeply into the bank - should have pulled him the other way.

All I know is it is surely a statement of ACP's sportmanship that he stopped to try and give us a pull. It was not his fault that he pulled us the wrong way as that was how we had the strap set up when he got there. Thanks for the effort ACP!

Oh, by the way, all the competitors are lucky it was cold or there may have been a pair of moons rising over the SD snow banks!

Mark (the big blue snoman) Utecht

P.S. ACP, did you find the camber washers? I didn't check to see if any were missing from our toolbox.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts