Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
why isnt castledines at day time in the morning like the good old days?
i rememeber people slipping of the road cuz it was so slippery cuz of all the snow and then the spectators had a blast trying to pull them out of the ditch
those were the days

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>why isnt castledines at night like the good old days?
>i rememeber people slipping of the road cuz it was so
>slippery and then the spectators had a blast pulling them
>out
>those were the days

It is at night - twice.

Didn't you mean to say "those were the nights"?

Doug Woods

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Thats correct matt, the regional competitors end around 5pm
>or so. at the end of leg A.

Matt:

You can finish the Regional rally and then go spectate at Castledine's.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
315 Posts
This is speculation on my part, I haven't received any official reason for running at night.

- There are literally hundreds of cottages in the Eels Lake area. Running at night probably makes it far less likely that we will have to deal with people wanting to get in or out while the stages are active.

- The Eels Lake roads are pretty far away from the rest of the stages. Running them during the morning would back up the schedule because of the long transits. Putting these stages at the end of the rally allows for more stages to be run during daylight, and since we only have about eight hours of daylight at that time of year, it's important to make full use of it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Casteldine's Corners is slow enough that you get a nice long view of glowing discs if the junction is near the end of a stage (sometimes the start is just at the top of the hill, so no effect). I like it at night. After doing a TC I drove out N. Ells last year, and man there is NUTHIN' out there on that section of road.
Craig

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kchamm/rally1.html

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>This is speculation on my part, I haven't received any
>official reason for running at night.
>
>- There are literally hundreds of cottages in the Eels Lake
>area. Running at night probably makes it far less likely
>that we will have to deal with people wanting to get in or
>out while the stages are active.
>
>- The Eels Lake roads are pretty far away from the rest of
>the stages. Running them during the morning would back up
>the schedule because of the long transits. Putting these
>stages at the end of the rally allows for more stages to be
>run during daylight, and since we only have about eight
>hours of daylight at that time of year, it's important to
>make full use of it.

Alan has it about right. Daytime runs of Castledine's worked when the rally was based out of Peterborough. That usually put the Eels Lake roads on the route to/from Bancroft (except the year I sent the route back through Skootamata), so you got a run through Catledine's northbound in the morning and southbound at night. With the majority of the roads near or east of Hwy 62, and nothing else running north or (significantly) west of Bancroft the Eels Lake roads are a bit of an orphan now.

Adrian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts