Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI,

My Direct TV on-screen guide says Pike's Peak will play today (Sunday) at 5:00 PM central time on Speed channel.

Jim Cox

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts
RE: Pike's Peak on TV today... Just finished the Rally America portion

Not to bad, I just wish they ditched the drifting and open wheel class, expanced the rally portion to the full hour and followed more teams.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

>Not to bad, I just wish they ditched the drifting and open
>wheel class, expanced the rally portion to the full hour and
>followed more teams.

And I am sure all the other competitors are saying they wished they ditched the rally car class for more coverage of their classes

Thought the show was fairly boring

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts

Remember this wasn't the rally america broadcast.....

This was the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb broadcast.

The drifting kind of sucks but its a big deal to Falken and Falken was a big deal to making PPIHC happen so....

Also, the open wheelers atleast the top four had real promise of being a great story line until all but one broke. But with both dallenbachs running and running well (heard a rumor that after the event someone came up in a big way to make sure they are back in 2006) and Keeney finalyl looking like he had a shot to win (perenial threat to win in the last couple of years but always had a problem either with spinning or breaking something) and of crouse the return of multiple champion david donner (the donners have a lot of history on Pikes Peak as well) there were four very fast open wheelers that could have had a great battle until all but donner broke (great story there BTW as he hadn't competed a single run since tuesday but had won the damn thing without running completely at all before).

I missed it becasue I had to work a lame job all day but I wonder how the Pikes Peak Open and Pikes Peak Unlimited coverage was? Big doings for those classes next year are in the works!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

>I'm joining 35 minutes in. Are rally cars before or after
>the 35th minute. In other words, shall I keep watching?
>
>- Christian
>
>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>www.christianedstrom.com

'Fraid you missed it. Rally was the first half hour. They only really covered four cars, with short mention of a few others. Pretty typical of past PP coverage, but still fun to watch.

(Trucks & bikes get an hour next week)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

>Pretty typical of past PP coverage, but still fun to watch.

You're kidding, right?

Watching dust falling on a window sill is more exciting than that video production was. I'm NOT saying the guys running were slow.

The non-existent spectator safety was interesting.

·
3,740 Posts

>>Pretty typical of past PP coverage, but still fun to watch.
>
>You're kidding, right?
>
>Watching dust falling on a window sill is more exciting than
>that video production was. I'm NOT saying the guys running
>were slow.
>
>The non-existent spectator safety was interesting.
>
>

This and more conjecture based on no experience after these messages!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

>This and more conjecture based on no experience after these
>messages!

Fer chrisakes...

I commented on the VIDEO PRODUCTION, not the race!

I experienced the TV show. It was awful.

·
3,740 Posts

"This and more conjecture based on no experience after these messages!"

referenced

">The non-existent spectator safety was interesting."

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts

Oh I agree it's completly boring compared to rally coverage, but for Pikes Peak it didn't seem to bad to what I've seen before. The challenge is there, but it gives no sense of speed and danger when theres no trees, buildings, signs; really anything along the road to give a frame of referance. If they were gearing it more of a rally style vidio then they could focus more on the cornering since the flat out speed in areas really didn't seem to exciting. The most impresive shots seemed to be Leon/Stig/Moody(sorry man, I can't remember your class off hand, but thats a SWEEEEEEEET looking Audi) in corners. Pikes Peak seems to be one of the events that would be hundreds of times better in person than on TV. It really just looked like people driving a litle bit over the limit up a mountain road.

(If the more effective a co-driver is the lighter they are, I better go on one hell of a diet if I ever compete)

Edited because I'm an idiot.

·
3,740 Posts

>seemed to be Leon/Stig/Kevin Hahn (sorry man, I can't remember
>your class off hand, but thats a SWEEEEEEEET looking Audi) in
>corners. Pikes Peak seems to be one of the events that would
>be hundreds of times better in person than on TV.

BWHAHAHAHA!!!

All I did was help install some of the lexan on that Audi.

The audi was driven by Brian Moody (also built by him) and co-driven by Grant Hughes (he's building a group f sierra).

I'm just a photographer and a broke college student, not a competitor. Friends and associate with a large portion of Pikes Peak competitors as well.

For anyone thats curious its an A4 1.8t shell with a custom cage. The power plant is an inline 5 cylinder. They were boosting about 20 psi although they didn't run any anti-lag for most of the event (over heating and had lost a turbo on thursday and didn't finish due to snapping axles last year).

It is pretty cool to watch in person. When the anti-lag runs it shoots flames 6+ feet. The best part is watching the boost come back on, the car just slams down to the ground.

They intend on selling the car after the Colorado Hill Climb series is over (they are leading the AWD championship) as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts

The Rally Heep didnt make it on TV but we did. We are walking by when they were Interviewing Verder. When will it be on OLN or the other channel.
Life is a Race.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts

>The Rally Heep didnt make it on TV but we did. We are walking
>by when they were Interviewing Verder. When will it be on OLN
>or the other channel.
>Life is a Race.

You need something that attracts more attention!!! Like the world's first New Beetle Rally Car - which just happens to still be for sale! Call me! ;-)

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
3,740 Posts

Ben I doubt this will make it any more exciting for you but....
http://www.coloradorally.org/storage/BlomqvistbyKevinHahn.jpg
http://www.coloradorally.org/storage/HawkeswoodbyKevinHahn.jpg
http://www.coloradorally.org/storage/HoriuchibyKevinHahn.jpg
http://www.coloradorally.org/storage/KeeneybyKevinHahn.jpg
http://www.coloradorally.org/storage/RyanbyKevinHahn.jpg

PS I'd be willing to bet there was video footage from bottomless pit which is the only trun above tree line with anything resembling a guard rail (its a rock wall the kind that looks like a landscaper did it) that protects cars from a 4,000 foot drop.

Someone may post the pciture from saturday 2004 when leon hung the back end off of the mountain with a really quite steep drop....

·
Registered
276 Posts

Remenber guys, because of the altitude and the loss of power, you can't afford to put the car sideway. You have to drive that moutain like tarmac from start to finish. If you put it sideway in every turn it will look really cool but will be a slow time at the end.The course was also very good tractionwise, there was a lot of blue groove on the dirt so we had massive traction with the car. Also like somebody said earlier, there is no point of reference for speed like trees, so it very hard to show speed on tv.
I thought it was a pretty cool show. I didn't think there were going to spend 30 min on rally. I was expecting 2 or 3 min top.
We'll see what Rally America come out with.

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts

Pics arn't working... Uh oh? I bet it is exciting, unfortunalty it didn't translate well to the telly. The bottomless pit didn't look frightning at all from the angle they used, unfortunatly when your directly above in a helicopter it all looks the same hieght, I've seen some pics from other angles and it looks like it would scare the bejesus out of any codriver looking to thier right. I think they just needed some better camera angles to bring some pizzas to it. Like having someone on the inside of a corner, or at the inside edge slightly up from the cars on the bottomless pit so it really shows the drops.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts