Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
It's been on for 10 minutes and all Jesse James ...

He just got to the top and I think he deserves a trophy - "Most Miles Smack In The Middle Of The Road - Ever"

}>

And now Robby Unser ...

(where's the YAWN emoticon?)

I'm beginning to wonder about this new prescription ...

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i had to watch lilo&stitch this morning. anyone have a copy they wanna share? how was the rally stuff?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
well that was the worst show I have ever seen:(
I had hoped that my sponsers would have got some value as I seem to remember that we won the damn event, the stupid snow plow got more coverage than me, what gives??, last year they showed our interview and racing up the hill, do they hate rally that much, on the hill and in the pits the spectators told me they loved the rally cars and we "saved" Pikes Peak
Leon Styles
ps I will never do this event again

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah it was disappointing. I watched the whole thing waiting to see you and John running. Kept thinking that they were saving the best for the last, but nope, still nothing by the end of the show.

Sorry it worked out that way - was an awesome run, and you guys deserved some coverage for it.

Rob

·
Registered
374 Posts
It was almost as if Group 5 was the BIG SCCA class... Pontiac and Dodge. I can't believe that there was over 10 minutes given to Monster Garage... especially since the same footage was used for the Monster Garage episode.

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It was an out-rage to the Widget Rally team...there was a interview on Leon that is on the editor's floor somewhere....

Plus the fact that ANY rally teams hardly got any coverage...as they say...

"Welcome to the world of racing sports discrimation"

Widget Rally team will probably not be back next year to defend their 2004 win.

They and the other rally teams that went there to run the hill and have that moment to shine if they win in their class or have rallying noticed again this year is a big disappointment.

"2003 rallying was noticed at Pikes...what happen?"; as I ask ESPN.

Shame on you ESPN....

Denise McMahon
Widget Rally Team

·
Registered
479 Posts
Leon,

I haven't seen the show yet, but I'm sorry it was such a downer. I saw you guys on every stage (yes, even the night stage) and you looked awesome! Rhys said he wasn't coming back either after his disappointing engine problems in '02(in your car). Thankfully, he went against his word and came back. I hope you'll do the same! On another note, imagine the embarassment Jesse James must feel.

Later,

Aaron McConnell

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>well that was the worst show I have ever seen:(

There's no accounting for taste, of course, but I know I've seen worse. I've also seen better. I will say that had I been the editor and not constrained by contracts or other requirements I'd have aired a whole lot less of Jesse's talentless run and NONE of Unser's whining. I certainly would have mentioned those few ProRally competitors who actually broke a record and each class winner, at least (the moratorium hanging over the airing of any glimpse of a Production Class winner now spans two seasons and includes two networks).

>I had hoped that my sponsers would have got some value as I
>seem to remember that we won the damn event, the stupid snow
>plow got more coverage than me, what gives??, last year they
>showed our interview and racing up the hill, do they hate
>rally that much, on the hill and in the pits the spectators
>told me they loved the rally cars and we "saved" Pikes Peak
>Leon Styles

Pete Kuncis' face got more airtime last season than did the cars that carried the Donison Cup winning team.

It dawned on me mid-season 2001 that it is far better for my health, my psyche and my love of the sport to simply look on these telecasts as infomercials and expect a sum total of nothing from them. That expectation has come to fruition more than once, but several times in 2001 and 2002 I was pleased/surprised to see the Bug on the tube again.

>ps I will never do this event again

Your choice. I would still kill to do that event - even if only once.

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

((edit to correct punctuation))

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: whaaaaa whaaaaa

Guys,
TV tells a story, facts have nothing to do with anything you see.
Sometimes, the story is happy, sometimes sad, but if the producer has a hook, he'll use it. He is also looking for something the viewer can connect with. If he had a series of shows, like the Wisconsin dirt races, you can spend the time to get the viewers to get to know a driver like rent-a-center, this show was a one-off so they needed quick name recognition or the viewer will say, "Who are these guys? Where's the Unser? I'd rather watch Oprah".
Jesse has a hit TV show and the footage was supplied so it took no work to fill those 10 minutes (sometimes TV people are lazy, like me).
Travis is famous and so are the Unsers - you are not, but you had a clip and a mention so you were not ignored. What you needed was a race and you didn't have one. You also didn't go that fast. You didn't set a record but Pat did. He got no more time than you. You only beat him (GpN) by +30.
Open stats for the summit = +22 over 2nd, +25 over 3rd and +40 over 4th
G5 stat = +2.2 and +13.2
Open stats for the event = +26, +56 and +1:09
G5 stats = +.7 and +14.1
If I were a non-involved observer, I'd say that G5 was a race, Open was a yawner. Don't forget, manufacturer involvement and in-car footage is a big selling point too.
Overall, rally got half the show and that was more than I expected, but you guys actually did the whole road so it had to be shown to explain the mountain. I wouldn't expect to get half again next year.
---------------------
I overheard this at the Run-Offs once, "I spent more than anyone else, I deserve to win!"
rz

·
Registered
434 Posts
RE: whaaaaa whaaaaa

I was also suprised by the length of the rally coverage and the fact they showed the Group 5 battle. I agree with Randy, G5 was where the battle was (didn't hurt to have the name "Millen" involved) and that was what they showed. Just because the open cars are the fastest doesn't necessarily mean they are the most interesting to watch.

Am I the only one who thinks Unser is a whiny #####? Remember everyone....he came to the mountain to go fast, not go sideways "for the chicks"... ;-)

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
I think this was the coverage of just the hillclimb. Maybe the rally will be covered by a separate program. We can hope.
Richard

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
Leon,
Have you also made alternate arrangements for your ashes?

For what its worth, I thought Jesse James had an overall negative impact on the event.

I'm sure the organizers are trying to capitalize on him to make money... you can't blame them, particularly if it keeps entry fees down next year.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Speed TV

Up until very recently, the SpeedTV web site showed Pike's Peak being broadcast this Saturday the 21st (while we're racing at Gorman Ridge). I just visited the site again and see that they now show STPR and Maine on Saturday.

I didn't think Speed could get any rights to broadcast anything from Pikes Peak, not even for Speed News.

Russ, can you confirm? Thanks!

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/66/

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Group X

X was "Exhibition" and gave the competitors who DNF'd the rally earlier in the week a chance to still race up the mountain in the main event. I think having Group X was a good idea. As for broadcasting Group X, it was a clever marketing device to give Travis some air time. I wonder whether it would have been shown had he not DNF'd?

As mentioned on the CRS thread, I think he's a good "draw" for the sport and a nice guy besides, so I don't begrudge his coverage, though obviously I would have liked to see more coverage for our own team and for the Production guys who had to smack the mountain to get to the top!

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
625 Posts
RE: Group X

>X was "Exhibition" and gave the competitors who DNF'd the
>rally earlier in the week a chance to still race up the
>mountain in the main event. I think having Group X
>was a good idea. As for broadcasting Group X, it was
>a clever marketing device to give Travis some air time. I
>wonder whether it would have been shown had he not DNF'd?

I hardly think TP needs more air time.......

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Leon, are you disowning PPIHC just because of the horrible job ESPN does (look at what they broadcast in that slot at other points in the year, lawn mower racing, rent a school bus figure 8 racing, anything that will appeal to ******** or has a hook, nothing real) or is there some other reason?

Everyone has to make decisions for themselves but to blame an event for what ESPN did seems odd to me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
RE: Speed TV

From what I've heard, ESPN2 has exclusive rights to cover Pike's Peak. Speed couldn't even get anything up there to cover the ProRally portion of the event.

Also from what I've heard, the ESPN2 people got their info from the PP Media folks, who got their rally info from -- guess who? The SCCA media folks, aka Garrett and Curtis.

So if you didn't like what you saw, don't complain to ESPN2. Don't complain to PP. Call the marketing department of YOUR club and ask Garrett and Curtis your questions.

I think it's a damn shame that the DNF'ers got air time when all the class winners didn't even get mentioned. I think it says a lot that the SCCA Performance Rally Board and Department have no say in how the ProRally series is being marketed, and that they have no power in the marketing and media of our series.

Hey, here's an idea. You want on a show, you call the producers and find out how much it would cost for a small segment on your car, your class, whatever. Then let us know what it takes, I'm sure you'll find a number of people willing to chip in.

Am I disappointed in MY club?? Darn skippy.

PS The Production Guys who smacked the hill were Mark and Kevin in the 2002 Acura RSX-S, and even after they hit mountain they STILL beat all the normally aspirated 2wd cars. And then they get shafted in all media-related items. How'd you like them apples?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts