Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is there really a lack of media coverage at Pikes Peak for what it is suposed to be. This is suposed to be a big media event for our rally series, but from the events I have attended int eh lst 12 months most of our rally events seem to have much more of the working media present. Each event has some sort of a media event/day either via a presstage or large public display or both.

Even the spectator #'s were not as impressive from what I remeber in 2002 during the Colorado fires.

The PPIHC.com site does not have any PR or even results, not just RA classes but the other runers as well.

Maybe I am getting more acustomed to the increased PR/Media at rally events or Pikes is not what is once was, or both. Maybe the ESP2 show will make up for it.

-george

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Not just you man- Nothing except RA coverage (thanks again)
I may have missed mention on "speed news" but there was nothing on the Speed website - I should have called WindTunnel last night.

Not sure how the program was this year, but 3 years I was there w/ Mark Utecht it was never right (and we always entered by Feb 1).

- Oh well, I have proof that I was a PPIHC driver! ('least thats what the program says)

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
George:

I agree.

I still have not been able to find any results for the event other than the RA coverage.

Does anyone have a link to the event results?

I found the PPIHC website to totally useless. No entry lists and no results.

It's as if they want to keep the event a secret.

Doug Woods

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Pike's Peak Parc Expose

The Pike's Peak Parc expose was so secretive, Jimmy missed it.:+
Or maybe he didn't have the military clearance to get there.
:p

Think it'd been better downtown somewhere or at Garden of the Gods park or even the North Pole. (Not 'THE' north pole but maybe more people would have shown there than did at Fort Carson, but the North Pole tourist trap/amusement park near the Pike's Peak Toll gate.)

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Part of the mis perception about media is the fact that Pikes Peak does not require special vests to identify media personel.

There was about 150 press credentials issued from what I gathered. Foriegn press almost match domestic press as well.

Pikes Peak's website is very useless however.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>
>There was about 150 press credentials issued from what I
>gathered. Foriegn press almost match domestic press as well.

It was pretty easy to get credentials, I knew of at least three people that just went up and asked for one and got it, so 150 is not likely representative of legitimate press people.

Credential was a bit useless too since you got no special access over anyone else that was there, the only thing it was good for is not having to pay the entry fee

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Denver papers devoted a half page or so to the event but did not mention the rally or the rally class in the final standings. It was like rally cars weren't even there, especially with several Colorado teams doing relatively well. Brian Moody won the Pikes Peak open and they didn't mention that as well. Very sad coverage for rally teams in general.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Sunday Colorado Springs Gazette contained 6 total articles on PPIHC. 3 of these were rally related. One article on Travis including a picture, one on Co-Drivers and Verdier got the headline in the results summary article. In each, the RA event and extra stages were noted and recognized.

It appeared that Rally caught some attention, at least in Colorado Springs.

Bill Westrick
Just another old Navie from Michigan

·
3,740 Posts
>>
>>There was about 150 press credentials issued from what I
>>gathered. Foriegn press almost match domestic press as well.
>
>
>It was pretty easy to get credentials, I knew of at least
>three people that just went up and asked for one and got it,
>so 150 is not likely representative of legitimate press
>people.
>
>Credential was a bit useless too since you got no special
>access over anyone else that was there, the only thing it was
>good for is not having to pay the entry fee

Credential gets you into the event free and special access to some parking, thats it though....

Part of the open spectating deal...

·
Registered
23 Posts
We were in the Tuesday Gazette. They were at tech on Monday and we were getting our front end aligned by Colorado State University Motorsports Engineering program when they came up and took a bunch of pictures of the Rally Heep. Dennis
Life is a Race.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was there covering the event for Grassroots Motorsports, as I have 18 of the last 20 years. I also usually send out a few fillers (those short pieces in the front of some magazines), but fewer and fewer magazines are using race-related fillers these days. I've also done feature articles on the Peak for Sport Compact Car, Off Road, Mustangs Illustrated, Viper, 911 & Porsche World, European Car, and Hot VWs. The Peak's press information setup is nowhere near what it was several years ago, and its quality changes from year to year.

Your comments are valid, and not just for this year. I have found the recent Peak press setup to be quite frustrating. Some examples: there was no listing of drivers and their cars available for the hillclimb entrants, and no one at the press room had any idea why I would want one. How do you write knowlegably about the Mini Sprint class if you don't know what chassis or engines the drivers are using? They had no idea why I would have wanted an entry list online as entries came in over the couple of months preceding the event. How would I interest a Pontiac magazine in a feature, for example, if I had no idea in advance that Bobby Regester would be driving a new John Wells-built V8 Sunfire? How would I interest a tuner magazine if I can't tell them who, or what interesting cars, will be racing? As far as the rally - hillclimb interface is concerned, at the working journalist level there isn't any to speak of. When I would ask questions at the press room such as "where can I contact a RA representative?" or "what is the schedule for the RA stages tonight", their answer was "Maybe there's a RA person at the driver registration area, you'd have to talk to them about that, we don't know anything." Trying to do both photography and get hard information for a story at the Peak is pretty tough - if it wasn't for the Gazette (which is nowhere near as good as it used to be), the radio coverage, and the RA online event summary, I'd be lost. I still don't have any idea what the mecahnical problems were that sidelined Keeney and the Dallenbachs on race day. If it weren't for the RA realtime updates I wouldn't know about Gubelman's rollover, or the halfshaft failures, or about Lurch's turbo troubles, or Pat's dramatic problems at the finish.

It's a great event, but it's really tough to do quality coverage. They really need to get someone in charge who has done journalism and knows what a writer needs to know before and during the event. Look for the usual coverage in Grassroots.

Jim Pettengill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's an extension of my previous post:

I'd advise averyone who enters next year's Pikes Peak event to take matters into their own hands to improve the press coverage - at least to improve the coverage by those of us who are there. It's really hard to locate you during race week and talk to each of you about what's happening because everyone is staying at different locations, so the best way to make sure that we know what's going on in your world is to have someone on your team bring a laptop and a printer along and type up a daily update that includes significant developments for your team. Please try to include only important stuff (we experienced CV joint failure, but repaired it at service and really flew on the next stage), useful quotes from driver, codriver, chief mechanic, or whoever, and anything that may be about to happen (we are having new dilithium crystals beamed in overnight). This doesn't have to be fancy - we need information, not flash - a simple Word document will do just fine. Make the heading easily identifiable to your team and date, so we know it's something new:

RED 5 RACING RALLY TEAM
#5 Rally America Open Class Chevy Corvair Turbo
Nigel Mansell/Luke Skywalker

Wednesday, June 22, 2005:

blah, blah, blah...

Make about 20 copies or so and take it to the press room by about 2 PM each day. Make sure that one copy is physically handed to whoever is running the Peak press room at the time and ask them to make sure that copies are available for the rest of race week. Please include where you are staying race week and a cell phone number in case a press person wants to contact you during race week, and an email contact or phone number in case we should want post-race info.

The working press usually cruise the press room between 2 PM and whenever the press room closes (4 PM this year) to pick up practise and qualifying times, along with any new information sheets for the day. This won't guarantee that every one of you will be spotlighted, or even mentioned, but it will sure help us to get the real story and get our facts right.

Ten years ago we used to get this information from around 10 or 15 teams. This year the only ones supplying this information were David Donner and the Dallenbachs. David Donner is the only driver who had a press kit that told anything about the team and/or car. You can whip up a simple "press kit" release that introduces your team - car, specifications, driver, codriver, sponsors - that fits on one double-sided piece of paper in Word and leave a stack on the press table, and we will bless you for it. If you word it carefully, the same kits can be distributed at other rallies, car shows, etc.

This really isn't as much work as it seems, but it sure will increase your recognition factor to the press, especially the ones who don't follow rallying regularly, or who just cover the Peak without much outside rally knowledge. I'll certainly bless you for the effort!!

Thanks in advance!!

Jim Pettengill

·
3,740 Posts
but Jim, we're there, we should just want to cover them!

Its a loosing cause, so very few people downloaded the press kit that I put together with a lot of your help from the RA site.

Hell, I knew more about the RA stuff and what the heck was going on then the press room when I was in there, I actually had the press room guys send a couple people over to me with questions.

If I only lived in the springs.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really must point out to everyone on this forum that Kevin gave me way more information before the rally than I got from the Peak people during the event, and thanks to Rally America's minute-by-minute updates that remain online I have pretty much the whole story of the rally event - way more info than I can fit into the allotted space in the magazine and infinitely more than I can get on the hillclimb itself this year. I'm just trying to help all of us for next year. Some of the journalists cherry-pick the offerings on the press table and just search out items that pertain to their particular assignment, but most of the ones that I have watched are like me and try to pick up one copy of everything that's available on the strategy that you never know what will come in handy or trigger an idea for a related article. So get your info on the table and it will help everyone.

I don't think that the Peak people don't care about the rallyists - they had better care, it's the rallyists and bikers that keep the hillclimb in business - it's just that the press people don't really understand rallying or the motorsports journalism business, so we all have to help them do their jobs.

Thanks again, Kevin, for your help. Let's all enjoy this classic event while we can. I'll be 60 next year, and once the Ws get paved I don't know how much longer my interest will continue.

What the Peak really needs is another good Unlimited shootout. Anyone have the money to pay Millen and Tajima to show up and race for the record again? I know Monster is running the New Zealand Race to the Sky event every Easter, as is Millen with his stadium truck, so it has to be lack of sponsorship that's keeping them away.

Jim P.

·
3,740 Posts
Only the independently wealthy or well backed will race.

Millen won't race on his own dime, and deservedly so. A lesson Rhys has learned as well.

There are rumors for 2006 though.

The Kiwi Hawkeswood will be coming back with around 1,000 hp or so he said he plans....

FWIW the Peak PR guys took whatever I or Beryl Anne had to offer them....
Still a mediocore effort to get ANY information out. Somewhat rewarding to know more than people that have been doing this for a long time though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Further to getting more coverage for your team:

Any competitor should feel free to literally cut-and-paste the front-page Rally America story into a Word document, re-top it with information relevant to your own race and send it out to your local newspaper, radio and TV station.

That story focuses on the overall battle, but it?s easy to make it all about you.

Just write a new first paragraph that says how you finished, along with a quote or two saying how you felt about the race and few lines of background about your own team (how many years of experience, car, class, key sponsors and best previous finish at the event.)

About 150 words should do it.

Make sure to include a phone number where you can be reached while you?re towing home and an e-mail and/or your team website address.

The sports/automotive editor or producer will be listed in the masthead of your newspaper or on the contacts page of the radio or TV station -- usually with an e-mail address.

Journalists are always hungry for a ?hometown guy/gal makes good? story. This is a really easy way to give it to them and get some coverage out there.

If anybody wants any pointers on how to do this, drop me a line and I?d be happy to help.

Jen.
j-horsey (at) rogers (dot) com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts