Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Warren glad you were able to get out of the "flippin' " car!!!!! Great video Warwick. Thank you

MJB
:+

·
Aaron Neumann
267 Posts
Incredible video Warwick. Also incredible is that you did it so quickly! Thanks for showing a smattering of cars and not just the top 3.

Aaron Neumann.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>AWESOME!!!!
>Great video - too bad I had such a starring "roll" in it - get
>it - roll!!!!!!!!!
>:p

It was nice to see your smiling face there, Warren. Bummer about the context!

Great video, Warwick. Keep up the excellent work.

Thanks to all of the flatovercrest.com crew for the updates. Awesome stuff!

Ben

·
Registered
299 Posts
Great video. Amazing you finished it so quickly, with the in-car and all.
How about next year, we watch it at the awards banquet ;-)

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
hahah funny you ask that... Warwick and I were in the room working on that and a final update for flatovercrest.com when we both decided enough was enough and we needed to go eat. I know W is always aiming for that but there's nothing that can be done about the time it takes to put together so maybe you can all wait to eat a little longer next year }(

Just kidding... (I think) ;)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I don't know Andrew - you guys were there in time for beer and for me to get you dessert!
Should have been more than enought time. KIDDING!

You guys do great work - keep it up - I'll just make sure I make your next video due to my "keeping it on the road skills" and not my upside down skills (which have now been honed to perfection!)

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the dinner was held at the Pub, where they have TV's, I probably would have worked on it until it was finished that night....but the banquet room at the Civic Centre didn't have any TV's to show it on.

Also, it ended up taking me pretty much a full day to download all the footage and edit it. I hate rushing it...

Maybe for tall pines I'll get it done same-day...although it usually ends in night stages which will be a late night.

W

·
Registered
665 Posts
music usage rights

To be clear:
- I really like the FOC coverage/website
- I like the video
- I like The Cult

I appreciate your efforts and I'm not trying to stir the pot, but given various photographers' recent comments in support of copyright law and related usage rights, I think it's worthwhile asking:

Did you contact Beggar's Banquet to ask permission to use The Cult's intellectual property? They're the record company who control the master recording rights - it sounds like you're using a track off the album, so you also need to deal with the publishing company (separate deal)

Robin

·
Registered
924 Posts
RE: music usage rights

my guess might be that since no profit is being made, and if credit is given, artisit should not be too offended. it's not going to take the place of having the song on recorded commerically obtainable media. should we be asking for permission, yes, but for the 100-1000 people that will ever see that video, a lawsuit more then likely would not ensue, more likely a stern cease and desist.

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

True, I did not get usage rights to this song for this video.

However, I spend over $5000 on music rights each year for my commercial DVD projects (mountian bike films, etc.)...so I don't feel TOO guilty. I don't make any money of this web video, and the song worked really well...I could have easily not credited them and just ignored the fact too.

And yes, I think you're stirring the pot just for the sake of it...

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts

Video was awesome as usual Warwick! Keep up the good work!

I use music on freely distributed video without giving a damn about the artist or usage rights on the basis that I am giving them exposure to a new audience often. On commercially produced ones that I am selling I either obtain permission or don't use music. Easy as that.

·
Registered
42 Posts

I always wondered why no one ever raised this issue when so much has been made of copyrights when the issue is photographs - but then I didn't want to be accused of stirring the pot! It is interesting that the photogs make a huge deal about the use of their images (and rightly so) but everyone sees using musicians intellectual property as no problem. Sure this is not for profit and the musician may not care but that is not the point.

Nothing personal against the FOC guys - I think you do an outstanding job of providing coverage of the Canadian rally scene - I just really prefer my rally videos without a lot of music sometimes.I

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts

>Video was awesome as usual Warwick! Keep up the good work!
>
>I use music on freely distributed video without giving a damn
>about the artist or usage rights on the basis that I am giving
>them exposure to a new audience often. On commercially
>produced ones that I am selling I either obtain permission or
>don't use music. Easy as that.

Tread lightly my friend.

PS: Do I still get the supplied stuff for the DVD discount :+ if not e-mail me and amount and bring a copy to the work day, I am leaning towards making it right now.

·
Registered
665 Posts

>
>And yes, I think you're stirring the pot just for the sake of
>it...

Well I'm not really. As I said, I appreciate your work and I honestly hesitated bringing it up - not wanting to be characterized as doing something just 'for the sake of it'

It just seems to me that a double standard is being employed:

Copyright of rally photographs is currently being discussed on this board in a rather dogmatic tenor.

Not so the absolutely equal case of other intellectual property rights, the abuse of which seems to be largely rationalized.

Robin

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think one must ask one self what the point of a conversation is before "stirring the pot" or engaging in the said conversation.

I can understand how some photographers consider their photo's copyrighted and would want some $ for the pics if they are commercially used on a website or for promotional purposes. There is afterall the travel expenses of going to the event to consider. Their "asking price" is usually kept "in line" because of the large number of hobby photographers who don't mind openly sharing their photo's from an event.

I've received 2 sets of pics from two different people. One wanted $'s for printed format and $'s for photo's used in "E" format. The other simply wanted a link to his site.

The concept of using "intelectual" (music) property for a video that generates no money is... well why was it even brought up ?

Sit back and enjoy the video...

:)

Thanks for your effort Warwick and I'm glad that you're willing to share your editing talent with the rest of us so we can enjoy Rally from the comfort of our homes for free !

edit - change topic back to PFR Video

1 - 20 of 29 Posts