Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the quest of "what tires should I bring" - I was wondering if there are any updates on the PFR road conditions?

Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
Keep watching this page:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/pages/cabc0187.htm

Remember that some of the stages are 900m higher than the town, so when it says 8C and raining, it could mean snow on Helmer & Mab.

Of course, the 7 day forecast should really be filed under fantasy/sci-fi...

I'll post another update after the route check, which is tomorrow. Last weekend, we did have some wet snow at the highest elevations, though not sticking to the road surface at all.

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
> "what tires should I bring" ?
>
>Thanks
>

WRC, you already KNOW the answer to that.

All of them.

Especially the ones suited to "maybe it's snowing up high, but raining down low and then there are those dusty sections en route..."

Tire paranoia is good for the rubber companies. Yokohama/Michelin/Kumho/Pirelli/Silverstone all absolutely love it when rally drivers worry about "what tires to bring."

Dave G
www.lastditchracing.net

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
542 Posts
Love that Friday forecast;

P.O.P 100% - You just know that it is going to be a bit nasty up high, if that holds. Makes me wish I could get out there to spectate or work the event. Alas, no cash takes care of that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi guys,

for those of you bringing mounds of tires... Make sure you look at the rule book to make sure that you can run studs before you bring 6 of them even though they wont be needed... This is targeted to all those who plan to store in the van!

Scott

·
Registered
542 Posts
You are right about that Paul! In this country if you can predict the weather 7 days out, you better be buying lottery tickets too!

·
Registered
730 Posts
>for those of you bringing mounds of tires... Make sure you
>look at the rule book to make sure that you can run studs
>before you bring 6 of them even though they wont be needed...
>This is targeted to all those who plan to store in the van!

The WCRC rule says that studs are not allowed at the joint regional/national events. The reason for this is that they aren't allowed at nationals, and to allow them for regional-only entries at the joint event would put a bind on anyone entering both levels.

In any case, I seriously don't think that we'll be dealing with ice, or even packed snow. Most likely is dry, or rain, or wet snow on top of mud.

·
Flat everywhere
341 Posts
>Hi guys,
>
>for those of you bringing mounds of tires... Make sure you
>look at the rule book to make sure that you can run studs
>before you bring 6 of them even though they wont be needed...
>This is targeted to all those who plan to store in the van!
>
>Scott

Yea yea............If we had done more than 6K at BH it might have been worth hauling our studded tires out to Edson. We have a whole new set of tires for PFR and a ground floor room to store them. With a hot tub I might add..........(needed considering the honeymoon time eaten up with the motor swap) Thanks again Scott for the storage, much appreciated, and lesson learned. I have some killer snows just in case, and yes I am seeking help for my tire fetish, group therapy is not working.........all the tires are too much to take.

Watch your mirrors at PFR (or the ditch, I will be in one, not both). ;)

C you there and thanks again for all the advise and help.

Colin

·
Registered
730 Posts
Conditions this weekend were very good. Definitely no snow this time! Most of the roads were dry - only the occasional mud patch. Actually, the worst mud was in the rough transit from Nicola to Mab, and even that wouldn't stop a 2wd rental car with no skid plate, as long as you take it easy.

There are some ruts on Comstock, on the way up to the hairpin, and the odd rough spot on other stages, but for the most part, the surfaces are in good shape.

Latest forecast suggests cold but not wet, but then that could still change.

·
Registered
730 Posts
>Latest forecast suggests cold but not wet, but then that could
>still change.

Here's why I hate weather forecasts: 12 hours after I wrote that, the same site is forecasting solid rain from Thursday through Saturday! Just bring everything that looks vaguely like a tire, and something might work.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
RE: Yeeeee Hawwwww !

Accuweather says getting nicer on Fri and Sat - up to 17 !! No Rain (or snow)
- Pray for Sunshine , but believe in brother Ole.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts