Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the request of Ray Hocker,Denise and Pat McMahon will no longer be associated with the Rim of the World Rally.While we will have no further public comment on this matter,Denise and I would like to thank our many friends and supporters from our many years of association with Rim.
Denise and Pat

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Yup, Pat & Denise are two of a very select core of hard core rally fans & volunteers that have consistently given much of their time & effort at many events out here on the West Coast. Your selfless time & effort is very much appreciated by those of us who like to play in the woods.

Many thanks !!!

=============================================================================

Web site : www.SoCalRally.com
Sponsor : www.VwSpecialties.com

Rally - I don't need no stinkin' epi pen to get my adrenalin rush !!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Best of luck in whatever new adventure catches your fancey.
Those of us who worked with Pat and Denise know they put in
an unreal amount of time into the events. It is fair to
say that a fair share of the growth of Rim in the last 5 years
can be creditted directly to thier efforts.

A few examples:

The worker registration database
The worker training program
Manufacturing equipment for stage crews
Procuring clothing and other printer material for the event
and the list goes on and on...

Them's some pretty big shoes to fill.

paul timmerman

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to say on behalf of Denise and Pat McMahon; whom I feel was wrongly discharged from Rim of the World Rally. I will respect their reason for not publicly coming out and telling the reasons. This shows how they are very professional and will respect the other person even though what has happen. I would like to say something on their behalf since they have helped my team in being successful in another form of motorsport.

I know that Pat has put in over 16 years and Denise over 10 years into Rim with ideas of how this rally can become successful and fun for all(competitors,volunteers and spectators). As Mr. Timmerman laid out on some of the ideas there were more...they were the ones that put forth the idea several years ago of having spectators onto the stages and how you can do it in a safe manner for the competitors and spectators which brought Mr. Timmerman to come on board and did a great job in formulating on how to create a safe environment for all in pre Rim 04. The press stage ideas was formulated by Pat. I know the list goes on on what Pat did for Rim.

Denise made sure that expenses for the volunteers would not exceed $300.00 for the weekend they work the event. She went out to Lancaster to work with the lodgings to make it cheaper for the workers and for the competitors, since she knows that these teams put out a lot in paying entry fees, gas and lodging itself. She believes in making it easy for everyone's concern. She has done this when she was full time working with our team back in the 80's and a big part in making it successful for me to win the Indy 500. Still to this day she is a test driver for our team and a darn good one.

I came several years ago to watch the event on the behalf of Denise and Pat, and I saw such a feel of grassroots motorsports (the last of raw racing here in the USA)and that people were enjoying themselves and was done in a professional manner. So glad to still see this. People (not only Denise and Pat) who still work another job and volunteer their own time which is a lot of hours and expense to make these venues to happen. My hat is off to you.

So in closing, I would like to say that Denise and Pat will go forward even though they were hurt and disappointed by this decision. They will help other organizers if needed and as being SoPac stewards I will be helping them to bring forth some contingency monies for competitors in the SoPac division for 2004 season. Also, they have a rally car to finish and so they can go out and have some fun; and bring Pat back out of competitor retirement as a co-criver and as a driver.

They are a very big part of the rally picture to keep rallying safe, exciting, and growing in the USA with the respect for competitors, volunteers, and spectators in mind.

Denise and Pat...thank you for not quitting.

Danny

·
Registered
366 Posts
I Always enjoyed Rim, thought it to be one of the best test for the entire team in rally, driver, service, car prep., co-driving, the heat, dust and roads will tell the team right away if the right decisions have been made.

It is because of people such as Pat & Denise, and the rest of the crew, that events like this are here and of the caliber that they are.

The post by Danny really brings to the front of my mind the efforts that are made by a very few such people so we all have a place to play (regardless of which rally it is).

To Pat and Denise I want to say, "thank you", I cannot even start to tell you of the good times, hard lessons, and sense of accomplishments I have gained from being involved as a competitor at Rim of the World for many years.

I hope the right decision was made-I know the previous organising crew was a winner!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of the people who called or e-mail us in concern that we might not be coming back to the sport either helping to organize or be competitors again (well in Pat case on that one) or stay as SoPac stewards. Thank you for your support...it made us realize how much people really do care.

We had so many volunteers who became competitors that e-mailed us telling us they remembered working with us on a stage and how Pat or I helped them to better understand the sport or how much fun we made it for them. How to get started or where to go to get into rallying. These are things that really mean the most to us and if we have helped in a small scale for the big picture of the sport itself; that is when we decided that as long as we are needed or doing something good for the sport, competitors and volunteers (my gem)we will stay and help out other organizers... and get that rally car done. Also,stay as team manager for the Widget Rally Team and get them to go for their dreams of winning a championship and to get them to several WRC events next year if possible.

Sincerely thankful for your encourgement and Rally On Gals/Guys,

Denise McMahon
SoPac Safety Steward

1 - 13 of 13 Posts