Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like everyone else, we're stunned by the loss last weekend of Mark Lovell and Roger Freeman. Our grief manifests itself in different ways, but each and every one of us grieves not only for two consumate competitors who died doing what they loved, but for the families and friends they left behind.

This has been a difficult year, with each new tragedy giving us pause, but thanks to the support of our compadres and fans, our close friends and casual acquaintances, our fellow participants and officials, we'll all get through it.

For some the fires of our rally passion may be dampened, but for many of us, they'll reignite soon enough, tempered by the harsh realities of any motor sport and the memories of our fallen comrades. Even as we remember those who will no longer climb the start ramp before blasting into the forest, we'll rally on. It's what made them formidable competitors, this ability to contend with unimaginable challenges, and what drives us to compete as well.

We'll rally on, because that's what rallyists do, donning helmets full of memories, tightening harnesses over heavy hearts, gripping wheels and route books with solemn determination, then staring forward as we watch the countdown clock, looking ahead to the next stage. We'll face the immediate future, our focus renewed on the task at hand, preparing for the challenge thrown down by each new road, while workers address their own critical tasks with renewed commitment and fierce concentration. It's what gave Mark and Roger character, this "rally on" attitude, and each of us wants a bit of that character in our own lives.

[hr]

We received this kind note from Perforce, one of our sponsors, this morning. They're new to the sport yet have embraced it whole-heartedly.

I was so sorry to hear about the tragic crash this last weekend. I'm sure that you're all quite close in the rally community, and this must not be easy for anyone. Please know that our thoughts are with you, Leon, and your entire crew -- as well as the crew of the Subaru team.

[hr]
Edit: fixed grammar.
Second edit: inserted paragraph break, included reminder that workers are rallyists too, fixed more grammar.

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
John-

Thank you for sharing.

press on,

jimmy

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
We'll rally on, because
>that's what rallyists do, donning helmets full of memories,
>tightening harnesses over heavy hearts, gripping wheels and
>route books with determination, then staring forward as we
>watch the countdown clock, looking ahead at the next stage,
>focused renewed on the task at hand, the challenge thrown
>down by each new road. It's what gave them character, this
>"rally on" attitude, and each of us wants a bit of that
>character in our own lives.
>

Wow. This makes me very emotional. You've captured it exactly. And through the several tragedies this year it's this feeling that keeps me going.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
If money were no object
272 Posts
(This is something I posted in the NW section)

My heart and prayers go out to all touched by the tragic loss of Mr. Lovell and Mr. Freeman.

To anyone who is feeling deeply affected by this (including the many people (course workers and the like) who may have seen more then they bargained for) please make sure that you do not carry this alone, find a friend or a crisis counselor to help. This can be a huge load to your heart and soul.

Steven Perret
Car# 226
Driftin4 Racing
[email protected]

·
Registered
122 Posts
As usual, John expressed his, and many other peoples?, thoughts perfectly.

Thanks John.

I can?t imagine the effort of every crew member and rally worker to stay focused and continue on after hearing the news.

Paul Nelson
navie

·
Registered
291 Posts
John,

As everyone has said..thanks for sharing. I think we come together like family in the rally community in times like these.

Tina

·
Registered
7 Posts
Extremely well said, John. Most of us are still stunned and in shock. Searching for words to describe our feelings of loss. Words that may never come. You've described that feeling we have very well.

As with life, we must all 'rally on.'

·
Registered
102 Posts
John, I have been trying for several days to post my thoughts and feelings about the tragic loss we suffered at Oregon Trail, and have been unable to get through the writing down how I felt. You captured many of my feelings, thank you for sharing and articulating so well many of my feeling and thoughts.

Ralph Kosmides

·
Registered
48 Posts
John, unless you have an objection, I'd like to quote you (with attribution, of course) on my personal website... these words are some of the best I've heard spoken about rally, ever.

/Andrew

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Permission Granted

>John, unless you have an objection, I'd like to quote you
>(with attribution, of course) on my personal website...
>these words are some of the best I've heard spoken about
>rally, ever.

Absolutely... you all have my permission to quote my words here...

Anything I can do to help....

[hr]

John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A matter of public record

I used to send this in with my entry form--perhaps its time to do so again. On the other hand, considering the immensity of our recent loss, maybe it looks trivial now. I guess I'll let you decide.

http://www.widgetracing.com/jpmd_fyi.htm

[hr]

John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
RE: A matter of public record

I agree, that's a good thought and a good thing to make others in your crew aware of if that's how you feel. I'm still somewhat dazed by what's happened, but life does go on after we grieve. We miss them but we carry on in their tradition. BTW, I know of at least one ralliest whose ashes were spread on a stage road after his death (not in a rallying accident).

Don Kennedy
www.RockyRoadRacing.com

·
Registered
339 Posts
RE: A matter of public record

I think it's important that those around you know what you do and know what your personal decisions and wishes are in case of an accident.

My parents are listed as my emergency contacts on every entry and they know what my beliefs are and what my wishes are in case something happens.

John's word's pretty much sum up why I rally and why I will continue to.

Brian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts