Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

SCCA needs to publish an overall ORGANIZATIONAL CHART for Performance Rally that reflects the hierarchy of responsibility and authority for the BOD, PRB, PRD, MFG's Council, RallyAmerica, ProRally Stewards, ClubRally Stewards, and the Independent Event Organizers. (Whew!)

Perhaps two separate charts are needed: ProRally and ClubRally.

I don't think anyone really understands the inter-relationship of all these groups, and some individuals wear several hats. A decent org chart makes most things obvious-at-a-glance. It's basic to operations and organizational management.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

(I brought this item forward from a buried location in an earlier topic. Yes, I will send a letter of request to SCCA.)

·
Registered
946 Posts
>Hello,
>
>SCCA needs to publish an overall ORGANIZATIONAL CHART for
>Performance Rally that reflects the hierarchy of
>responsibility and authority for the BOD, PRB, PRD, MFG's
>Council, RallyAmerica, ProRally Stewards, ClubRally
>Stewards, and the Independent Event Organizers. (Whew!)
>
>Perhaps two separate charts are needed: ProRally and
>ClubRally.
>
>I don't think anyone really understands the
>inter-relationship of all these groups, and some individuals
>wear several hats. A decent org chart makes most things
>obvious-at-a-glance. It's basic to operations and
>organizational management.
>
>Rich Smith
>
>Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"
>
>(I brought this item forward from a buried location in an
>earlier topic. Yes, I will send a letter of request to
>SCCA.)

Seems to me it would have one box. Starts and ends at the very top.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>Seems to me it would have one box. Starts and ends at the
>very top.

Trevor,

That would be SCCA's elected Board of Directors (BOD). But, they remain distant and have allowed a HUGE bureaucracy to form. That is precisely why an Organizational Chart needs to be published. Nobody, understands it.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey Rich,
The org chart for Pro/ClubRally looks just like the inside of your washing machine before it goes into the spin cycle.

Just ask any co-driver, complex and unpredictable results can and will occur in systems that are sensitive to their initial conditions. This is the chaos theory of management, I wrote it up for the Harvard Business Review (that's the down east edition of the Dusty Times). Just wait till you see my washing machine pix.

[email protected]

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,

Ha! That's good. But you know, organiztions are like people. More destroy themselves from the inside than are destroyed from external forces. Good management understood and accepted by the parties involved prevents implosion.

An organization without an ORGANIZATIONAL CHART, is like a Rally without a route book. ;)

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,

At a Rally America (ARE, Inc at that time) meeting with the organizers in September, I requested an organizational chart be made that would allow us to see where Rally America fits into the picture and how all of the other parties relate within SCCA and Performance Rally.

I haven't forgotten about this item...and you have my word that I'll keep looking for it in the future. [I tend to be a dog with a bone at times and this is one of those occasions. :) ]

Lyn

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>I haven't forgotten about this item...and you have my word
>that I'll keep looking for it in the future>

Lyn,

Thank you. Publishing a detailed ORGANIZATIONAL CHART is critical. Especially in complex organizations, it should never be put on the back burner.

Your diligence in looking for it will be appreciated by many.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Comrade Rich, excellent suggestion, let's hope somehow that the chart will include names, addresses, and contact details and some idea who the people are, and importanly, and I don't know how it could be done really, a chart showing the business connections and an acetate film overlay with felt tip pen markings showing who wields influence over who because as any of us who has been in large organisations knows,
the real influence is not sometimes in the hierarchical realationship which might appear on a chart.
>
>Thank you. Publishing a detailed ORGANIZATIONAL CHART is
>critical. Especially in complex organizations, it should
>never be put on the back burner.
>
>Your diligence in looking for it will be appreciated by
>many.
>
>Rich Smith
>
>Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
>Hello,
>
>At a Rally America (ARE, Inc at that time) meeting with the
>organizers in September, I requested an organizational chart
>be made that would allow us to see where Rally America fits
>into the picture and how all of the other parties relate
>within SCCA and Performance Rally.
>
>I haven't forgotten about this item...and you have my word
>that I'll keep looking for it in the future. [I tend to be
>a dog with a bone at times and this is one of those
>occasions. :) ]
>
>Lyn

Lyn, and everyone,

The Rally America org chart is so simple it's barely worth mentioning. For normal operations, draw 5 circles in a flat line across the page and put "Doug", "Bruce", "Beryl Ann", "Parker" and "J.B." in them. When it comes to disagreement time or time to write the check, just float mine up above that line a bit because I guess I have final say in those matters. Simple and effective, with a final authority mode only when needed.

Where we fit in with the SCCA is right next to every other organizer. We have no special "place" within the SCCA. The reason you won't get an org chart out of me showing where the organizers and RA fit in with the SCCA is because I have no idea what the SCCA chart looks like! It's not possible for me to draw it. So, I'll wait along with the rest of you to see one. Once we have that, it should be a simple matter to squeeze RA in with the other organizers.

Cheers,
-Doug

Edit: How did that get into italics? Ah well, dang computers...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts