Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Paul Eklund and the XV Crosstrek

Recently we asked Paul Eklund to test an XV Crosstrek for our new Subiesport TV series. Hijinks ensue at Portland International Raceway (clip below) and then things get really fun up at DirtFish Rally School.

XV Crosstrek vs. Modified WRX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIB7OUdO0ys

The full 22-minute "megatest" (including a rally portion) is only available at http://www.subiesport.tv with free registration. Additional clips will be posted to YouTube at a later date.

·
Shifting and drifting
513 Posts
To answer your question Steve: no stability control cannot be totally disabled. Though, one can always resort to pulling fuses.
Thanks for the answer Ryan. I had to sell a damn Audi because it wouldn't behave. How about the throttle, will it do what you want? Will the current crop of STi and WRX allow you to drive the car?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You can completely disable the traction control in the BRZ without pulling a fuse, so I would suppose the WRX/STI would be the same, it's just their mass-audience cars that have undefeatable safety measures. Tough, granted, it did take a bit of fussing with the various buttons before I figured it out on the BRZ.

I didnt notice any peculiarity with the e-throttle, but I'm a lousy left-foot braker.

·
Registered
542 Posts
ESC and VSC on cars vs SUV's

What I have found in my testing is that the ESC on a car (like STi) can be completely defeated with the button, but on SUV's (like CrossTrek) the button will not completely defeat the ESC/VSC system and it is probably a mandated issue for anti-rollover of SUV's. Our government trying to save ourselves from ourselves. It actually works pretty darn well, but frustrating when you are trying to keep up with a full-on rallycar during a "test"

Pe

www.get-primitive.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used pull the ABS fuse in my 2009 WRX all the warning lights went on but it worked fine. Despite this there is an electronic brake assist that cannot be disabled. When you stomp hard on the brake EB assists keeps it on until you hit the throttle cheerfully, then it releases. this can make smooth trail braking difficult but breaking the turn is fine.

·
Shifting and drifting
513 Posts
Don, I feel for the guy that just spent nearly 40k on a new piece of junk. He is going to get rid of it and he had to resort to his trusty 924s for his autocross enjoyment because his spanking new high dollar winter beater won't listen to the commands. A Subaru is a winter car for crying out loud, what more fun is there to do in the winter than drive a car briskly and safely?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts