Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why no photo of the winning Rim car on the write-up?

·
Registered
907 Posts
that is the pic the event submited.

BTW- great run Pat. Max wanted to meet you on saturday but things looked a bit busy in your service area.

-gp

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To me, that's a slap in the face to the winners and a kick in the nuts to Pat's sponsors, who by the way, did a great job in keeping him in the running. Maybe it was done intentionally, who knows?

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
777 Posts
ok, so I wasn't there this year to find out this info, but what's up with the "new" car? Didn't know ESX had a rally car.
Will we see PatR in this car the rest of the year or was is it a Rim special?
I had noticed the old trusty bugeye was repainted at Oregon so I didn't imagine it was the same car.
Inquiring minds want to know :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think it's rather obvious that there is no offense intended to either Pat, or his sponsors, by having one of the other 68 competitors entered in the rally pictured along with what I sent to SpecialStage. There are many great photos of Pat on the Rim web site including two on the very top of the event home page at http://rimoftheworldrally.com

I'm certain the world-wide TV coverage and the massive press coverage of Pat and Nathalie's outstanding victory and will please their sponsors. Being a true sportsman and gentleman, I doubt Pat is offended by having a fellow competitor's photo displayed on SpecialStage.

Ray Hocker
Chairman, Subaru Rim of the World Rally

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>I think it's rather obvious that there is no offense intended
>to either Pat, or his sponsors, by having one of the other 68
>competitors entered in the rally pictured along with what I
>sent to SpecialStage. There are many great photos of Pat on
>the Rim web site including two on the very top of the event
>home page at http://rimoftheworldrally.com
>
>I'm certain the world-wide TV coverage and the massive press
>coverage of Pat and Nathalie's outstanding victory and will
>please their sponsors. Being a true sportsman and gentleman, I
>doubt Pat is offended by having a fellow competitor's photo
>displayed on SpecialStage.
>
>Ray Hocker
>Chairman, Subaru Rim of the World Rally

Aw, Ray. Everyone loves a good conspiracy, and now you've ruined it.
;( ;(

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts
From all of the pics/albums I've seen posted so far I've noticed 2 main things. The two teams shown most are Richard/Richard and Iorio/Holter. I think they just simply went with Iorio/Holter becuase there are plenty of pics of them catching big air from plenty of photogs. I think they just tried to get one of the most exciting pics to show. As most of the photogs said they posted pics without knowing who had won, maybe Pats different Subie threw them off so they spent more time covering other cars also.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Two thoughts on the matter - 1) everyone here knows who Pat and Nathlie are - and that they won Rim + this isn't the largest outlet for their sponsors looking for coverage (no offence to SS) So not really a big deal. But . . . 2) Why Not have the winning car on all of the post race information / advertising for next year / etc. Make sense don't it?

P.S. Pat - did you ever get an event shirt with your car on it???

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
Matt .... I said "Flat over Jump" !

Main reason there's lots of pictures of us is that we
hit all the jumps really hard so that we could get good pics ;-)

.... and Kylie is a little bent :-(

hehehehehe ...

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<<<< There are many great photos of Pat on the Rim web site including two on the very top of the event home page at >>>>

That may well be, but isn't it customary to show the winner's car with the media write up? Someone enlighten me here. When was another car shown in the write-up that was not the winning car?

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Here is a partial list of the media attending and covering the event. This is all thanks to the hard work and knowhow of Andy Schupack the Rim's Media Director. I think this qualifies as massive in our relatively small world of U.S. rally.

Mundial Motorsport TV/Speed Channel ? coverage to run in the near future
Speed News -Speed TV
Speed Freaks Radio Show
KCBS-TV, Channel 2/Los Angles 11PM News Saturday May 7
KCAL-TV, Channel 9/Los Angeles 11PM News Saturday May 7
KAVL Radio/AM Palmdale
Univision Network (250 Spanish TV affiliates ? coverage to run next month)
Adelphia 3/cable access TV/Palmdale -Four days of coverage and specials
Pasadena Star-News/San Gabrial Valley-News
Riverside Press-Enterprise
Los Angeles Daily News
Antelope Valley Press
Racer Magazine
Dirt Wheels Magazine
Extreme RC Magazine

SpecialStage.com
Dirtdrifters.com
SoPacNews.com
Drivingsports.com
Darksydemotorsports.com
Rally.subaru.com
Impreza.net
Nasioc.com
Autoimportcarze.com
Onlineshowoff.com
Rallyplanet.com
Speedtv.com
Awjunkies.com
Livesockers.com

Ray Hocker
Chairman, Rim of the World Rally

·
Registered
803 Posts
edit (removed two sentences that seemed to read badly if you didn't get the joke)

it is pretty funny - I have gotten email like "I didn't know you were driving an old school black and white Impreza", or some sponsors saying "how come the organizers dont know which car is yours" and "wheres my logo - I thought it was on the front bumper" etc. When I first saw it I was like WTF but then I thought "oh they must have thought that an air pic was necessary"

90% of the time non-rally press will run whatever photo you give them...

if/when someone asks me how to build a jump that still gives you at least as much air as in Matt's photo but with little to no chance of hurting the car, I'll be available.

It is the first time we've won an event and not been in the release though, but really, it doesn't bother me :) .

Something like this:

http://www1.digitalrailroad.net/for...d=2b96157c-b101-41b4-86c2-653354230aba&rcp=80

has much more PR value (from the ability to quickly identify it alone). has a much higher chance of being run (contrast, no background mess, not hard to pick out), and doesn't need an explanation at the bottom. Maybe its not a shot for the 'hardcore' fans. Maybe if the jump shot was an ultra money-shot, ok then fine.

It is misleading, but certainly not offensive, in any case. Water under the bridge !

-Pat:)

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>Something like this:
>
>http://www1.digitalrailroad.net/for...d=2b96157c-b101-41b4-86c2-653354230aba&rcp=80
>
>has much more PR value (from the ability to quickly identify
>it alone). has a much higher chance of being run (contrast, no
>background mess, not hard to pick out), and doesn't need an
>explanation at the bottom along the lines of "This is xxx,
>they got a lot of air so we hope you run this cool photo",

Personally, I'm with Pat on this one. I'll take a good sideways shot with an interesting background over a staged jump shot any day. I'm sure there were plenty of good sideways shots of both Pat and Matt that could have been used. I was forwarded a newspaper article and photo from the press stage of Paul Eklunds car in a full on power drift. It was a very impressive photo, and captured the sport.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

1 - 20 of 39 Posts