Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congratulations to Pat for a terrific victory at Sno*Drift and to Andrew Comrie-Picard for all those stage wins.

They're both expected to meet again this weekend at the Rallye Perce-Neige where they'll have to beat two other snow masters: Sprongl and Erickson. Should be a good one.

Pat said in another thread that no one could sneak up on you during the short stages. That must mean a different approach when each stage is over 30kms. Will the long stages at Perce-Neige change their pace strategies?

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hi Laurence,

yes it is a very different rally so the strategy is very different (unless everyone is going balls out at the beginning, which i would prefer but what the hell it rarely happens). Also for me I have different personal objectives and motivations in the Canadian championship (I didn't talk about that very much in any interviews or in any press releases, but it is a large factor). Finally, the rally has 3 long stages (36km, 45km, 46km) right in a row at the end.

Sylvain usually goes as fast as he can, and at this rally, sylvain will be the one to watch. He's won it multiple times and he is quasi-local. If he stays on (which he probably will barring mechanical failures) he will not be doing any pacing (he normally doesn't pace). Frank will be the other one to watch.

But none of that really matters, with the rally FINISHING with two consecutive 45k night stages, whomever drives well on those two will win, as long as you are in touch with whomever is leading, going into them. The 36k preceeding that is no slouch either. I'm betting on S.E. for a third victory here. SE is faster (crazier?) than most people think. He can finish stages without hitting stuff and still go fast. The only other person at RIQ last year to win stages (when the heat was up) was SE. And if SE goes out into a fight with anyone, Frank might pick up the pieces. Or be that guy.

And with the championship reduced to 6 events, I think every rally counts at this stage. Some of the guys (like Sylvain) are not doing the whole championship.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
>The only other person at RIQ last year to win
>stages (when the heat was up) was SE.

Hmm. I seem to recall winning some stages there - maybe the heat wasn't up for you, but Thumper, Lauchlin, Tom and I were having a good battle. Just the slow guys behind you, of course!

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
665 Posts
rumble in the...tundra? boreal forest?

That's what I love about rallying - the polite exchange listed above is what passes for trash talk - if they were circuit racers they'd each have restraining orders taken out on each other. hehehe

Robin

·
Registered
946 Posts
>My only stage win so far on a national rally SS10 guys !!!
>
>Julien Pilon
>Lachute Subaru

Congratulations. Thats a hard thing to do.

I beat John Buffum on a stage once. By 30 seconds.

Of course him pulling off to the side of the road for 2 minutes to let Paul win Wild West 1998 on the last stage didn't have anything to do with it...

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Sylvain

>SE is faster (crazier?) than most people
>think. He can finish stages without hitting stuff and still
>go fast.

Watching his incar from RockyMtn and PacificForest last season when Phillip was struggling with the English stagenotes and PFR routebook really proved that. Geez, he was motoring for not having a clue what was coming up.
Fast yes, crazy even more so.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
RE: Sylvain

Sylvain is the perfect rally driver - from a spectator's point of view.

I have never been spectating at a rally where he did not put on a good (and probably the best) show.

I suspect that if you were a lone specatator deep in the woods on a stage, Sylvain would ensure that you got properly rewarded for taking the effort to get there.

Of course, his spectator-friendly driving style has also led to his demise on a number of occasions. ;)

Doug Woods

1 - 11 of 11 Posts