Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pastrana got notable mention for his 2004 PGT campaign on Speed's Two Wheel Tuesday last night.

Nice clip of him wadding the car at ROC.

Can't wait to see the groupies at Oregon Trail }>

·
Registered
630 Posts
If Travis drives like he rides we will see LOTS of wadded cars. He was forced to "retire" at a very young age because he kept doing soil samples and rang his bell one too many times. Unlimited talent, short on brains.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Saw 30 minutes of the Michelin Race of Champions yesterday on Fox Sports World's "Raceworld" show. Travis' brush with the scenery was rather spectacular, but I felt bad for him when they excluded him and he didn't get to drive the Pug 206WRC.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think saying he short on brains is a little harsh.

The guy is 20 years old and has accomplished more than most, in a 1/4 of the time, and with more poise than most of us could produce in the same type of situation.

Everyone is jumping on the bang up Travis wagon. I personally wish him the best for a couple of reasons:

1) He is well known and his prescence in the pro-rally ring brings needed media attention to our sport.

2) He is young and has a large following, which will likely increase the number of young people that get interested in rally, which in-turn will produce more fans. More fans means the likely hood of more spectators, which means it could be more feasible for those of you trying to attract sponsorship to actually get it.

3) Everyone, correction, almost everyone, is pissed off that it "appears" he walked in with little creidentials in the sport of rallying. I, IMHO, think the man has paid his dues and has taken the neccessary steps to have the applicable rules satisified.

Cut him some slack and lets all enjoy the show.

Bob Wall
821 PGT

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thank you Bob (for the comments and the car!)

I'm glad Travis is coming in. He's parlaying his success in other venues much like Doug Havir. His success elsewhere allowes him to step into rally with top notch equipment. Bully for him, I wish I was so sucessfull.

For a community that is usually so supportive and friendly there's been an awful lot of ugly jealousy towards Travis.

Good luck Travis, listen to Christian, finish the events and shut everybody up. I'll see you at Maine Forest.

Nick Collins
#972 VW GTI

·
SURF!!! I'll cover you myself!
663 Posts
>Thank you Bob (for the comments and the car!)
>
>I'm glad Travis is coming in. He's parlaying his success in
>other venues much like Doug Havir. His success elsewhere
>allowes him to step into rally with top notch equipment.
>Bully for him, I wish I was so sucessfull.
>
>For a community that is usually so supportive and friendly
>there's been an awful lot of ugly jealousy towards Travis.
>
>Good luck Travis, listen to Christian, finish the events and
>shut everybody up. I'll see you at Maine Forest.
>
>Nick Collins
>#972 VW GTI

What he said......

This guy is great for our sport, he has good support with VTcar, and having Ramana around can't hurt either.

I'm excited to see how he goes, I wish him the best.

Pete
:7

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
A lot of that crap is my fault & I apologize & regret my jealousy.

Yes, he WILL defnately bring exposure, which is of course, very good.

I just wish I was 20-something, good looking, single, talented, wealthy & famous.

The part that irks me personally is how someone(any celebrity) gets things handed to them, or gets lots of perks/discounts/whatever, simply because of their name and/or wealth, when those are the people that have plenty of money to pay for things themselves. This is a personal issue of mine & goes well beyond Travis or any one celeb. I have been around lots of drivers/racers of different forms of racing, and a few hollywood types, and it bums me big time that those with the most money get so much for free when so many others in the world get nothing.

Where I screwed up royally was b*tching about it unnecessarily here on a national forum. It was petty, childish & irresponsible.

I wish Travis the best of luck & hope to see a positive impact to the sport due to his participation.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

PS_
Travis, if you actually have read any of the crap spouting from me, I am confident I at the very least owe you a beer & I hope you accept my apology.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I like Travis as a person, and I welcome him to Rally, but his record in motocross speaks for itself. He had the potential to be one of the best ever, but instead could not control his throttle hand and ended up with a short carrer as a result. I did not misstate my opinion.

Now, imagine the same lack of control (from a group not know for control) on a stage but without years of 4 wheel experience and you see where my concern lays. Travis could be the best thing to happen to Rally, but if his "exuberance" results in wadded car after wadded car or even severe injury he could be the worst thing to happen.

I wish him the best, but I will have a "wait and see" attitude.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Here is a link to his car accident in June.

http://www.motoworld.com/ts/0306/1055353189416.jhtml

According to police, Mr. Pastrana was driving a black 2003 Chevrolet Corvette on Rossback Road about 12:30 a.m. when the vehicle went airborne after cresting a rise in the road near Overlook Glen.

The Corvette then went onto a steep embankment and struck a large oak tree. The force of the collision flipped the Corvette, threw Mr. Pastrana from the vehicle and blew apart the engine, police said. The car landed upside down in the middle of Rossback Road, about 300 feet from where the driver lost control.

"It hit so hard that the motor was thrown out of it," said Lt. Keith Williams, commander of the Traffic Safety Section. "You can't even tell what kind of car it is. It is just completely destroyed."

128 Posts
Holy crap guys!

I can't believe you posted that!

Yes, it may be a matter of public record but you don't need to post it here in a community still seeking to build it's opinion of Travis.

The ONLY thing this news displays is that he's a real person just like the rest of us.

Can we please chill on this discussion and keep it a little less personal? Let's focus on how things go at SnoDrift and talk about rallying in such a way that it forwards our sport.

Best personal regards, Matthew

Matthew Johnson
TRIrally.com
MatthewJohnson.us

·
Registered
907 Posts
>The part that irks me personally is how someone(any
>celebrity) gets things handed to them, or gets lots of
>perks/discounts/whatever, simply because of their name
>and/or wealth, when those are the people that have plenty of
>money to pay for things themselves. This is a personal issue
>of mine & goes well beyond Travis or any one celeb. I have
>been around lots of drivers/racers of different forms of
>racing, and a few hollywood types, and it bums me big time
>that those with the most money get so much for free when so
>many others in the world get nothing.

It is called a sponsorship, people that are giving him things and etc. expect something in return, exposure. now due to his name that he built up and hopefully in the future due to his performance on the stages.

I hope he spanks all of you in PGT comes out West and faces off with Verdier who has proven to be by far the fastest guy in PGT with $10K WRX.

-george

·
Jct Motorsports &Collision
374 Posts
Was at Vt Car last week and saw pPastrana's car it was a nice car . As for Buffum and Mcrea. Buffum one time told me he had wrecked half a million dollars worth of cars at P.O.R. [That would be LSPR for the newer rally people.] Anyone remeber STPR 1985/6 and a group B car that was brand new for about 75 stage miles. New to junk in a flash Chris Putzier

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Geez, glad I'm a nobody. If I were really successful, somebody might find out about that CRX I totaled by drag racing on ice head on into a guardrail. Or that fire hydrant I took out with a GTI. Or that deer. Or that other deer. Or that time the front wheel came clean off that Honda on the way to work. Or those reflectors along I75. Or running into that pole with my van. Or that curb in Indianapolis.

Who here has never done something they regretted in an automobile? Glass houses, indeed.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
No sir George, I am only referring to after they have a "name" for themselves and are "famous" to some extent, and when they have oodles of dough.

I am not referring to a big name that a company gets exposure in return under contract for marketing(aka sponsorship), but rather when people throw gifts/perks/money/free passes(so to speak) & stuff at a celeb, only because they are a celeb. I have seen it alot. Preferential treatment due directly to fame & wealth to a person that can more than afford to pay his/her own bills.

After complaining in an assinine way about it, I was proven wrong in the context I brought it up under. The SCCA has apparently not given TP special treatment. I was wrong. I am big enough to admit it.

I cant wait til I can get the opportunity to prove myself against the West coast people, as it seems everyone out there is "faster" than us midwesterners...

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
RE: Holy crap guys!

>Yes, it may be a matter of public record but you don't need
>to post it here in a community still seeking to build it's
>opinion of Travis.

Did you endorse Bill Clinton? I mean, come on. How are we supposed to judge someone but with the public record?

After a year in which 2 well respected veterans had a horrific moment in a car they KNEW how to control and 2 well known rallyists had a horrific event in a car they KNEW how to control you now have a "hotshoe" who said...

>"I want to race anything and everything in an attempt to open some doors for myself in sports that require skill but less pounding on my body," <

Admirable?

The kind of guy you want passing you to make seed 7 ?

You want to co-drive with him?

Jeez, we all want more press and notoriety for our motorsport but at what cost?

I don't need the acceptance of the people he will bring to the sport.

He's likely to be a great guy, I get along with almost everyone but I'm not a whore.

Bernie

PS: I have plenty of accidents that are a matter of public record and quite embarrassing. A horse trailer, telephone poles w/ Dad's 1976 Fleetwood Brougham de Elegance with the 500cu motor and I was unlicenced @ 15, the garage door @ age 8 in Dad's VW Squareback, the 1969 IH 1200 with plow incident, the 1983 320 ix had a few wild impacts, The word Scirocco is still spoken quietly in my house, I had to retest for my Lic. due to the number of violations I got before I got my Lic. and the state of NY sent me a letter that said I may have a "problem" due to the number of points I recieved before the Lic was granted.

Can you tell why I co-drive?

Edit for PS

·
Registered
946 Posts
There are plenty of well documented cases of Dirt Bike drivers coming into rally damn fast from the first countdown of their first stage.

Think of the skill involved, and overcoming sense of self preservation needed to drive on two skinny tires and then fly from jump to jump. 4 wheels, an actuall cage around you and a feel for getting the most from limited traction. I'd say a professional bike rider is very qualified to drive immediately in ProRally.

Or Perhaps Eric Comas shouldn't have been allowed to get a ProRally licence either? He only got 4th overall in his FIRST stage rally.

>I cant wait til I can get the opportunity to prove myself
>against the West coast people, as it seems everyone out
>there is "faster" than us midwesterners...

Head to Rim... I think there might be a 2wd Performance stock car or two that could give you a run for your money.

·
Registered
907 Posts
edit for speling

you guys should come out. I belive the fastest people are on the east coast from my experience, at least. But this Verdier kid in the PGT is very quick, faster than most of us OPEN class guys out here.
But that is getting off the subject.

Trust me I know about famous people getting FREE STUFF, but that is part of being famous, the FREE Crap comes with some heavy bagage as well, but most do not see that. I see it with bunch of my Pro Surfing friends ex world champs. It is easy to belive it is all fun and games and VIP stuff.

stop being jelaus, it is not good for you.

no hard feeling I hope

-george

·
Registered
630 Posts
>And how many cars did John Buffum wreck? Colin McRae?

If JB or McRae wanted to race motocross, dont you think their general tendancies (IE not vehicle specific skills, but their judgment at DECISION MAKING) would be a good indicator of how they would handle a bike? Dont you think that you, as a follower of JB or Colin in a rally car would have a good idea of how they might make decisions on a bike? I've been watching motocross and offroad biking since 1973, and I know a lot more about it than I do rallying. I think I know what the kind of bad judgment calls like Travis has displayed his entire career as a bike racer would result in if it happend in a rally car at speed.

This has nothing to do whatsoever with Travis as a nice guy. He was a breath of fresh air in a sport that had started to take itself too seriously. He was always happy, and it was clear he really loved what he was doing. He never had anything bad to say about anybody, and nobody had anything bad to say about him. This is not about being nice guy, its about him putting himself in danger because he has consistantly showed bad judgment.

Travis is 20, the average motocross carrer ends before 30. Ask yourself why he is not still racing motocross, his first love, when he should have 5-10 years left? Its because he rode over his head too long, showed bad judgment and it caught up with him. When he crashed his motocross bike he got concussed. Now ask yourself what will happen to him when he makes those same bad decisions to NOT back off the throttle in his rally car and he goes "off" at 100mph into the woods?

If I had described McRea by saying:

"Huge talent, super agressive, but never really met his potential because he drove too hard sometimes and crashed out too often"

Everyone would nod their head in agreement. I say essentially the same thing about Travis (although a bit more bluntly which was probably not the best thing to do) and many who likely their only knowledge of Travis is what they have seen in relation to Rally cars (the Sube test, or ROC) get their panties all bunched up. Get over it, its the truth, if you dont like it thats not my fault.

The simple fact remains, he shortend his motocross career from his own poor judgment, and he has shown no signs that anything has changed. Should I not be worried considering the quantum leap in the penalty he now faces for having an "off"?

And just in case you all missed it the first time, I'll say it again, I wish Travis the best of luck, and I hope I am 100% wrong.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts