Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>I heard rumors of this...has this been implemented? Will I
>have to have a passport in order to run Tall Pines?

You just need a rally license to run TallPines.:+

As for crossing the border, I crossed last month with just a US birth certificate.

·
R6 L6 R6< 800
200 Posts
My information, reasonably current is as follows.
All you require if arriving by bus or automobile is photo ID and a birth certificate. That is the case up to the end of 2006 (Dec.), after which you will require a passport.

If you arrive by ship or aircraft, you will require a passport after January 2006.

The problem is not arriving in Canada, where you are generally welcomed, but trying to reenter the US.

You should be OK with photo ID and proof of citizenship.

I'd strongly recommend getting a passport as soon as possible so when David Richards calls with an offer of a WRC ride, we'll all be ready.

Looking forward to seeing you in Canada, Alex.
Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
>I heard rumors of this...has this been implemented? Will I
>have to have a passport in order to run Tall Pines?

Wait,

Do you have a ride? You keepin me out the loop? I can't sleep at night cuz my TP entry still has TBA for co-driver. E-mail me y0. Teamwork is key, a good in-car relationship is like a marriage, or something. Nicky Grist told me once.

Dude, get a passport anyway ($85 for slow mode ($145 for same-day service in chicago/philly/dc/miami/la/nyc). Your gonna need it if you catch my drift. shhhh.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
In theory you need proof of citizenship. That means either passport or raised copy birth certificate (NOT just a photocopy). In practice you usually get by with just a driver's license.

The operative word there is "usually". I have never encountered a by-the-book guy who requires the proof of citizenship. That doesn't say you won't. Bring your original birth certificate. Probably too late to get a passport.

There is a lot of stink about requiring passports in the future, so if it is "just" to go to Canada and back, you might want to wait and see.

As previously said, this is to cross the border. It has nothing to do with running the rally.

If you have a conviction for DUI or OUIL in your background, you MAY be denied entry.

press on (and JUST answer the questions at the border - don't volunteer anything, take your sunglasses off, don't have your radar detector anywhere in sight {illegal in Ontario}, don't be a smart*ass)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, don't you remember me at TP last year ole' Jimmy? :) Ok, good, procedures are still the same. I had just talked to my mom about going and she had thought they were making passports mandatory for Canada...but luckily that's not for a while. Anyway, I best be gettin' a passport for all the WRC events I'm going to be running soon right? ;-)

Thanks,
Alex

P.S. yo Matt, I figured I'd just wait until you were online...IM being sent now!

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Yep, don't you remember me at TP last year ole' Jimmy? :) Ok,
>good, procedures are still the same. I had just talked to my
>mom about going and she had thought they were making passports
>mandatory for Canada...but luckily that's not for a while.

I expect passports will become mandatory about the same time it becomes mandatory for us to have one to go the other way...

Adrian

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
The official word on entering Canada:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4161/rc4161-e.html#P137_3378
(see the second paragraph under "Arriving in Canada")

The official word on entering (or re-entering) the US:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

From the above site:

"The proposed timeline will be as follows:

"- December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
"- December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel."

Canada hasn't announced any plans to require US Citizens to show passports at the border (but as mentioned, you'll be subject to US requirements for re-entry when you come home).

·
R2- 50...WAIT! Make a left!
258 Posts
Having crossed the Detroit-Windsor & Port Huron(MI)-Sarnia crossing several times since July, I can say the US border guards are asking for passports now.

Best to bring a passport if you have one, US citizen or not.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Can't beat a passport and yes, I have experienced "by-the-book" border patrol people. They did not want a driver's license; they want birth certificate or passport.

In reality, if you are just spectating, your driver's license will do 99% of the time.

The past-DWI stuff is important. You are simply officially "not welcome" in Canada if you have such a conviction anywhere and have not petitioned for relief. I think that when El Presidente Bush visited Canada they issued him a special certificate because he had a DWI on his record.

·
3,909 Posts
btw, if you are going to work the Pines, do NOT tell them at customs anything about "working". They get real defensive about that. You are going to watch or spectate the rally. After all, you might be taking high paid "work" away from a native Canadian.

press on,

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Also, be careful what you tell them as a competitor.

I've told this story before, but it seems appropriate to the topic, so I will repeat it.

For Tall Pines 2003, I told the immigrations agent going into Canada that I was there to compete in car rally ("rally" is another loaded word at border crossings) and showed her a copy of the supps. After some more questions, she marked my form and sent me on. When I got to the customs agent who normally just collects the form, I was directed to the line for a more extensive interview with an immigration agent.

After a seriously long wait in line, I go my turn. She asked a bunch of questions which eventually focused in on how much money I was receiving to compete in the rally. After my answering that co-driving is a hobby in half a dozen different ways, she asked how I could afford to have such an expensive hobby. I answered that I was a software engineer. She stamped my form and I was let into Canada.

I am not sure what I said that provoked the extended interview. I said pretty much the same things when I flew into Montreal two months earlier for Defi and had no problems.

alan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Simple answers ... you don't get paid to rally and you don't get any money if you win.

And if you have any meat in your car going down to the US, they'll take it if they find it. :)

·
3,909 Posts
Oh Nat, you feed us a straight line like that.

Too bad this is a family channel...

>And if you have any meat in your car going down to the US,
>they'll take it if they find it.

press on,

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Those of you who travel back and forth across the US/Canada border might as well start the process for getting a passport - you're going to need one soon. The official timetable is at: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1170.html

The State Department site also has advice on what you may bring with you across the border in both directions.

I crossed into Canada in August with three people, a motorhome and a dog. They were much more thorough in their questioning than any time in the past - on BOTH sides of the border. Resign yourself to the fact that crossing the border will take awhile. Having all your paperwork in order will help.

Bruce

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
When I travel back and forth to the MFR, I always cross the border at the most remote customs post on the way. Sometimes, I have to go find the officer on duty. Never had a problem.

Unfortunately, this option does not work too well coming into Ontario as most of the posts are quite busy. The exception is Ogdensburg, NY were there is usually little or no traffic.

Doug Woods

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Doug,

Have you ever crossed on the ferry from Wolfe Island to Cape Vincent, NY? Now granted it was about 30 years ago, but that was the most laid back station I ever saw. The customs/immigration station was the size of a phone booth next to the dock and the officer was essentially napping on a chair in front of the booth. Hated to wake him to report in. Actually, my wife and I were on our way back from Smith's Falls from Rideau Lakes and that was the first of three border crossings that day (followed by Niagara Falls and Detroit) where we "smuggled" a fruit basket across the border in full view on the rear package deck of our 240Z. The fruit basket had been won by John and Carol Smiskol as best mixed couple on the rally and they didn't have room for it so gave it to us. We never thought about it being in the car and never declared it any of the three crossings and none of the officers noticed.

Kent

·
Registered
233 Posts
I competed in Return of the Route of All Evil (NY, amazing event, too) a few years back, a car full of tires, rack of lights (and came back with a trophy) and the customs guy at Ivy Lea was into old car restoration and we all had a great chat! Going to MFR was no problem mentioning the rally. You don't "work" a rally, you "volunteer". Be nice at the border, or you may get shipped to Syria no matter what passport you hold (you may have to be "in" on Cdn news to get this).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts