Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A friend of mine just blew out something in his transmission on his 02 WRX Street car. He was just wondering if anyone might know of shops in canada that he could contact for parts. On Tues, he will have taken it out to figure out what is needed.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
in the Toronto Area Can Jam motorsports probably has a bunch of spare transmission parts ...

·
4,813 Posts
>his car won't be covered under warranty.

Are you sure? Has e tried?
Subarus are KNOWN for having weak gearboxes which put the onus on the manufacturer to be a bit more 'repair friendly' to warranty claims. Albeit a much different car, I bout an '84 Rabbit as a demonstrator, and it was regularly grinding into second ... and I drove it HARD ... the dealership replaced everything inside the transmission, under warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have a suspicion that a combination of his mods (Suspension, engine, exhaust) and the fact he is class champion for Ontario Solo2 and beat the SNOT out of the car (mostly in 2nd gear) would mean he wouldn't get it done under waranty. I have mentioned it though, and he says thanks for the advice!

·
4,813 Posts
I really don't understand why he woudln't OPENLY take his car to the dealer and see if Subaru WILL warranty the transmisson. Hand the car over and be clear that he is NOT authorising any non warranty work / inspections. You should remember that it is typically in the dealer's best interest to have warranty claims go THROUGH ...
Please note that I am NOT at all suggesting that he try and hide his involvement in motorsports with the car ...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke with him just now and he said he is actually 2000km past warranty, and when he called the dealer, they said there wasn't anything he could do about it.

He's also a bit weird. If it were me, I'd take it in, but I think he's been sniffing a little too much high test...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts