Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

Can someone confirm or deny these rumours about Pacific Forest:

1. Twistiness maybe most like Defi ie. a little slower than Rocky and of course a lot slower than Bighorn

2. Smoothish on the groove and a bit shale-y out of it.

3. Altitude about the same as Rocky

Tightness is the main question, though...

ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
I wrote Dave Clark I "was" coming out (but now am stopping at Calgary due to the train change).
Here is his assessment:
"You'll like the roads up there. Those are some fun events. The
Vancouver Island roads are especially bitchin'."
Hope that answers your questions.
rz

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hey, regarding the train change, if you (or anyone else) now need help getting your stuff between Calgary and Vancouver, let us know because there are plenty of people out here who will be travelling between Vancouver, Merritt and Calgary who could transport vehicles and help with storage.

As for the roads, I might be a tiny bit biased, but I agree with Dave Clark's description - bitchin'.

This is BC, so there are exposures. On some of them, your clothes will be out of date when you reach the bottom. Last year, the combination of wet weather and grading the day before made for tire carnage, but the same roads in dry weather are glorious fun even on street tires.

The roads are dirt and gravel, most of them pretty smooth. There is a small pavement section, but it's part of a stage that is primarily dirt/gravel. Last year, Lily Lake in particular drew raves for its never-ending sequence of medium right into hard left don't cut, crest easy right into... non-stop for 10 km.

I think you will have loads of fun.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: Pacific Forest - getting home

My problem is that with no trailer or towcar, the car has to make it back to Calgary on its own power and three rallies are a lot to ask. Those trips over the mountains are pretty long transits!
rz

·
Registered
730 Posts
>1. Twistiness maybe most like Defi ie. a little slower than
>Rocky and of course a lot slower than Bighorn

Not having been to Defi... I would say comparable to Rocky. Quite a bit of variety in speeds though. One of the new stages has first gear corners. One of the stages from last year has fifth gear corners, maybe sixth if you're so equipped.

>2. Smoothish on the groove and a bit shale-y out of it.

Yeah - I'll see if the forest company can delay grading until after the rally, so that we don't get the extreme tire-shredding shale.

>3. Altitude about the same as Rocky

The town (and thus the in-town stage) is at 600m. The top of the Helmer and Mab stages are just a hair over 1500m. You don't quite see both elevations in one stage, but there are some climbs.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vancouver Island Roads? I agree that they're "bitchin" as that's where I first drove gravel in anger (the logging roads east of China Beach) in my '66 MGB (with original 165-14 bias-ply tires), which rather rapidly became the worse for wear (car and tires). Also I used to take that car up to Mount Washington on the island with the top down, skis thrown in, studded vintage 165R14s that I found in the back of a Victoria tire shop, and a bank of 60s Lucas aux lights on the front that threw a dim yellow pool on the road in front. Wow with the studded tires that car was fun to slide. After doing the early morning ascent with the lights on I'd have to be sure to park on a hill to leave in the evening as enough little Lucas lights can still overpower a dynamo...and let's not get into Lucas-bashing because it never gave me any problems. OK, except for driving from Calgary to Vanouver over that northern hwy 99 that comes through the top of Whistler, when the regulator turned to molten plastic in the backwoods and I had to disconnect every accesory and do the run to Vancouver on the battery in the dark with no lights (after a small boulder thrown off a logging truck shattered the windshield). And the time that....but I digress.

I'm really looking forward to my first (official) rally in BC. But with respect to Mr. Clark, I hope we don't have any of the Island roads on the rally, as the 2.5h ferry will make for a long transit, to say nothing of driving to Vancouver first...

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a clarification for those unfamiliar with BC's rally locales:

Merritt is well within the 'mainland' of BC and we will not be venturing via ferry across the pond to Vancouver Island.

But, pre- and post-event, feel free to visit the remainder of BC with its beautiful vistas and scenic 'transits'.;) Who knows, we may have a couple TSD routebooks of the local area for those adventurous types!

See y'all at PFR!

Andrew

·
Registered
215 Posts
175kph? Well, I saw 115kph in the Justy last year, downhill, on the pavement through the tunnel (Paul, are you using that one?) only time I've ever used 5th gear!!!

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Andrew,
At 2002 Mountain Trials (same roads) Janusz and I saw over 175 ... but that was on the odo check :-0
(to be fair I think we would have pushed over 175at times, but my major reccolection is of a twisty route)I haven;t run Defi so it is hard for me to compare ...

I would say that the roads are signifcantly twistier than Rocky, with the exception of the Beaver Creek stage, which I have never run as a competitor, or the south end of Heath.

They flow well, and the route book they wrote last year was prety pace-notey and I was talked out by the end of the stages. The service area is great. Spectator stage is safari like ;-)

·
Registered
328 Posts
>
>Ever had anyone get over, say, 175kmh?
>

We have some twistier sections to be added and some faster sections. If it's dry I would expect one section to be flat out in your highest gear whilst you listen to "SA over crest" repeated a few times (just like Finland). It's a pity that section has no spectators because it's so fast but then again, apart from the speed, it's not very exciting.

You're in for a treat.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
At their fall rally I was struck by the variation in speeds. Even while on one stage there were fast sections and twisty sectons. I red-lined in 5th gear on every stage at least once but also spent a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd.

Now my final drive was too short for the rally but still I was making 140KPh or so often, and would expect I will get to 175 a few times this time around.

The route book is fantastic and can be trusted.

The roads should not be too hard on tires, the pavement sections are with out too many tire eating turns other than the tunnels where I am a wimp and slow down.

Cows are the big hazzard. Had to slow twice for cow on road - funny they are not in the route book...

Derek

·
Registered
328 Posts
Buffalo & Bear

I was driving car 0 and had to move one bear who was well on to being fat for the winter. I can vouch for the fact that a bear can reach more than 60kph.

We also use roads through a Buffalo ranch but they are a little more shy than the cows.

If you liked the route book last year, you'll love this one. It has been tightened considerably.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts