Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a head's up for those of you unable to join us for the party in Merritt, BC this weekend:

Scoring will be carried out using the the proven www.Rallyscoring.com software piloted by its very creator Jean-Georges Marcotte and co-piloted by our very own www.Rallybc.com webmaster, Dennis Wende.

Keep your browser pointed to this link throughout the day Saturday for up-to-the-moment results:

http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/Resu2003/Pacific2003/index.htm

Also, thanks to the generous participation of Keith Morison, of Morison Communications www.morisoncom.com we will be carrying a newswire update of breaking news from the rally.

Keep your browser pointed to this link throughout the day Saturday for up-to-the-moment news:

http://www.pacificforestrally.com/newswire.htm

Good luck to all the competitors who've made the journey to sample some of the finest rally roads in BC.

Cheers,

Bill Westhead
Media Liaison
Pacific Forest Rally
www.pacificforestrally.com

<edit to add:> PS The Start Order is posted here:
http://www.pacificforestrally.com/archives/2003/2003EntryList.htm

·
Registered
28 Posts
up to the minute updates eh? it is now 12:49 and only the first stage is shown with a time? is there a big delay or an accident? just nervous because im stuck at home and was hopeing for"up to the minute" results

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry for the delay, sometime things do not go as planned. That should be better for the rest of the rally but thing happen...
Jean-Georges :)

Why ? peoples organising rally in North America know why... ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Did something happen to Carey Wright/Dave Kean in the RX-7...they seem to have dropped off the results after stage 4??

Guess it looks like mechanical for them...darn it...

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: ACP

????
Where are you ACP??
rz

found out in the notes - too bad.
Sorry to hear about about the engine delay.
I just got my car back from the train yard today so I know about delays.
---
"Special Stage 9 and 11 cancelled after a pickup truck was spooted on stage, then diappeared again. "

is "spooted" like "aboot" (in US - "about"?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry for the complaint I know all to well about things not going as planned, but thank you for the work that you have done with the timing for the event it was easy to follow and was well presented. On another note does anybody know why car 266 had an 8min penalty?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Oh no! I was following Scott's results in the only P3 car - he was putting in times with most of those nasty G2 cars: and then 14/14 max early? Details anyone?

Robin

·
Registered
28 Posts
The problem was the canceled stages, after that they reissued start times and messed allot of people up with out giving them all the information they needed. Or they wanted to bump the Americans down the order after all you can?t have a Gp2 car finishing second overall.
:7 (I?m obviously just kidding)

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>Did something happen to Carey Wright/Dave Kean in the
>RX-7...they seem to have dropped off the results after stage
>4??
>
>Guess it looks like mechanical for them...darn it...

They hit a rock that pushed the bottom of the fuel tank into the fuel pump and broke it. Ask Dave about the marks that the rock left on the underside of the car.

alan

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>Sorry for the complaint I know all to well about things not
>going as planned, but thank you for the work that you have
>done with the timing for the event it was easy to follow and
>was well presented. On another note does anybody know why
>car 266 had an 8min penalty?

You are talking about Fuller, right?

From what I have heard, it sounds like it was an arrival time calculation error.

alan

·
Registered
28 Posts
All I am saying is at the same atc (ATC 33) there were 3 cars with HUGE penalties an 8 min (Scott), a 12min (Ogrocki/Ogrocki) and a 20min (Comens/Hygate) all at one ATC that?s pretty odd don?t you think? Like it was a little bit more than an arrival time miscalculation? If it was only one team I would chalk it up to a mistake but 3 teams there were what 15 cars left at that point in the rally? That?s 1/5th of the entrant or 20% that?s unheard of to have that many mistakes at one ATC in a field that small. Since Jeff has been Scott?s co driver he has not made such an error, he is a great co-driver and to make such a gross mistake is out of the question Jeff is far to organized. I am sorry if I am coming off a little bitter or like a jerk but that 8 min cost the team 2nd over all and a podium not to shabby for a 2wd NON turbo?d car.(and he still almost got that last podium spot even with the penalty)

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
But you are also saying that 4/5 of the cars didn't get time penalties ...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just to cool your head guys.
This was Rally Events and finishing the Rally counts to final results. The Rally was a great event!!!. Being a totally Novice and not making mistake on calculation time simply proofs that the rules WORK!
I think asking other competitors and make own time calculation is the key factor for co-driver. Don't blame Canadians, blame the Fuller co-driver!

Everybody deserved the best place. We did not finish and stopped on 3 wheels 4 km from the end of last stage. Should I blame organizers? Toyota? Roads?

Yes, Komorowski was lucky but what? Tom was too and many others. Maybe our wheel hit the tree that Mgeer cut before? I think it's too late for protest;-)

My biggest lesson about rally so far is that you must personally get the experience. Academics works but?Sheet I promised myself not come back to this forum.

Jerry

P.s.

As a last car we passed many rally "victims" during the last 3 Western Rallies. I always seen the "so sorry" face expression," them" looking around car. Never understood fully until?GOT ME?Today? Still hurt so much? Trully hurt not only me but..the crew, family, kids...I think that's what the Rally is about.

For Allan?

I think we should not speculate on what you could loose. The luck was on everybody site at this cancelled stage. Thanks well that nobody was hurt. Safety should always be the #1 issue. Forget sick the seconds that you may lost.
But anyway. On the way to service? I always was looking at parking lot at your hotel?We all learn...Don't We?;-) :p

We don't have a single picture from Rally and can not afford Keith Morrison price tag for one picture ($250 CDN):(

If anybody could send us a picture that would make us the day?

[email protected]

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Chad, Chad, Chad, Chad? WTF? (ou c'est que le flic, heh? en Canadienne pour mes amis en Columbie Brittanique!)

And tavarich Latham, sorry I couldn't make it and help you with those brewskis, wife just went back on Thursday and I was behind on work and poor Tavarich Bottles just had the clutch puke on his fresh motor and so withdrew and I was on the way with him to advise and twirl wrenches.
You must now come down here to the Unexplored Southern Area for the next thing which I guess is Oregon.
Since we are at war and you guys aren't really standing side by side 100% for freedom, if the Homeland Security guys grab you at the border, tell them to call me, I have Tom Ridge on my speed-dial, and I'll put in a word for you.
Oh, he he , a GOOD word!!
Just don't mention your Party affiliation.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
497 Posts
>Chad, Chad, Chad, Chad? WTF? (ou c'est que le flic, heh? en
>Canadienne pour mes amis en Columbie Brittanique!)

I don't know who has the footage.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Randy-

"Off road" doesn't really capture it. In the first place, the new engine we installed on Thursday was damaged on startup on Thursday night and so we stayed up all night Thursday diagnosing it. On Friday at 11am we took the decision to just build another engine out of the parts from it and the previous engine we'd lost at Rocky that we still had around. We found another set of lower bearings in Vancouver and spent Friday afternoon at the machine shop. By 8pm we had all the components for an engine machined, cleaned, and sitting on a table. The organizers very kindly gave us a dispensation (reviewed by the stewards) to scrutineer us if we could show up for the start.

http://www.ottawasubaru.com/PFR2003/DSCF0052.JPG

By 5am the engine was built. By 6 it was in the car. We put in the break-in oil and began to drive up to Merrit from Vancouver. At Hope (roughly halfway) we pulled to the side of the road and changed out the breakin oil for the synthetic. Then we started running up the boost and tuning the air/fuel on the computer on the highway to Merrit (I'm sure a lot of the trucks on the road at 7:30 am on Saturday wondered why we were accelerating brutally up the hills with the brakes on). We arrived at the start at 8:30, got scrutineered (THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO ASSISTED - Ken, Martin, Dennis, Paul, Ben, Alain, Tom, etc. etc...), and checked in 40s into our minute.

We transited to the first stage with everything in good order and started. This was a victory in itself.

The first stage was fantastic - like Acropolis. Very twisty, challenging, blind, big drop-offs - terrific. I loved it.

At the 8km mark we were happily sliding around a right-hander and the right front wheel tracked over a rock imbedded in the road - not a huge one, but one that you wouldn't think much about. Immeditately the steering wheel went limp and we went off on the outside - turned out the steering knuckle broke at the ball joint pin so the wheel jammed in the wheel well and threw us to the outside - all the inside tire treads were neatly sheared off by the wheel well. When we looked at the damage later there were three layers to the shear point so we reckon we cracked it somewhere earlier in the stage and it just chose that point to let go. Unfortunately we haven't had the budget to life-cycle parts and I think that knuckle had done as many as a dozen rallies. Maybe we can't afford not to life-cycle now.

Happily there was a small tree and a wire fence on the exposure side and happily we went off fast enough not to roll but to land on a plateau about 15 feet down. The car will rally again. Whether we have the money to do so is another matter...

So it was a terrific shame to DNF after all the amazing work that the crew did to get us to the rally. Several of them literally did not sleep between Thursday morning and Saturday night. As Tom McGeer said, the victory was in part just getting to the start line. So it was a bittersweet experience, but on balance a great homage to the crew.

Note to all - this event has terrific roads. Soon it will be one of the best events in Canada.

ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Andrew --- when we passed your car off the stage my first thoughts were "gulp" and then "ah, a tree broke their fall" which is always a good thing in BC.

Minor grumble, could you please have your OK sign visible next time (!?) so following cars do not have to stop to check if you are ok. :)

Glenn

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah - sorry about that - we had placed it on the rear window I think and then we set to trying to shift the car to - if you can believe it - get out of that set of bushes and continue down the hillside to try to rejoin the road. In shifting the car (with jack, by lifting, by attempting to drive etc.) I think the sign slipped off. Sorry if you lost time on account of that.

Your car looked lovely when we spectated you on SS4 and 5. Well done.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree with Andrew. Pacific Forest Rally soon is going to be the best Rally in Canada. It is amazing how much good work guys from BC did in such short time. Well organized modern thinking leading them in the right direction. Simply?dedicated team of right people.

Jerry

p.s.

Andrew, BIG thumb up for the dedication to start the rally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts