Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several interesting tidbits gathered by comparing results of St Agathe 2002 when recce was not permitted with St Agathe 2003 when it was.

2003 broke the stage records by about 1 minute for each of the long stages (average 30K). Same goes for most of the class stage records being bettered by 1 minute. There did appear to be much less dust this year which also could be a contributing factor to the inceased speeds. The higher speeds would have given the spectators a better show.

2002 (and 2001) before recce was permitted saw several bad offs (LeStage, Bazinet, Paytner off the top of my head). 2003 with recee had none. Pilon's rollover was on the road in soft surface therefore not an off and the Legacy was entered in the regional which did not have the opportunity to participate in the recce.

So it would appear pacenotes made the event quicker and safer. And how fun was that!?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>So it would appear pacenotes made the event quicker and
>safer. And how fun was that!?

You ran the event so would you answer the question? Or was that the answer, it was fun?

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For me, much funner.
More relaxed because I was less paranoid about a series of !! and !!! caution gotchas where I rolled a couple years ago, more involved reading notes than using the blind rally format of "next instruction, 3 kilometers", the aspect that a better codrivers can help their drivers go faster and pacenote strategy made it more interesting.

Of course there are the negatives of the time and cost associated with doing the notes but...

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>Of course there are the negatives of the time and cost
>associated with doing the notes but...

It was only one day of recce.

You could do the recce in the rally car, so the additional cost would be an additional day off from work, an additional hotel night and fuel. Steve and I rented a jeep and that was $60CAD.

It sounds like Charlevoix recce is a different matter ...

For Steve and I, I think it was safer to run notes because the route book was not sufficiently detailed and we could stay on the notes. However, I can see additional risks (such as going off at higher speed) for crews that get lost in the notes.

alan

·
Registered
280 Posts
This was ALOT of work....it was a exosting day...specialy in the justy....ouach...i was very jalous...of the boys in big SUV....60$??? man...im in for next year....

I was VERY happy whit the results...our notes were incredebely precised ....

Véro did not get confuised as we were expecting it ?...shee just keep talking and talking its was very impressiv....never any silence moment...shee was on fire!!! LOL way more then me...

one thing...the ditch and danger wer called much much more often and lowder then usual .

im still debating if it was a good thing to see all the ditch befor the rally ;) alot safer yaa...but....made us slowdown alot more than usual.... that for shure........

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
149 Posts
we never got to recce.... and had considered buying a set of notes... and in the end with only the Baie to use as a reference we decided to run with the route book and really never got caught out... I found the route book to be very good and even over cautious at times (!!! washout and none were to be found??)but I am positive I could have gone faster, with all of the lifting at the top of crests to pick the road back up, a set of notes would have allowed me to be flat out over those blind crests with confidence .My .02 cents worth but remember this was only my second rally so my basis of information is very limited at best !! :7

Steve.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Routebook

Steve,
I was told there were changes to the routebook posted on the noticeboard removing the phantom triple caution washout and reducing the degree of caution to a couple others.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>This was ALOT of work....it was a exosting day...specialy
>in the justy....ouach...i was very jalous...of the boys in
>big SUV....60$??? man...im in for next year....

It was a long day, particularly trying to fit all of Friday's stages into a 90 minute recce period. It was even longer checking the notes against the video and copying them into the book that I used on the stage and confirming them.

We thought it would be too embarrassing breaking the rally car on the recce to risk it, so we got the Jeep. It was also a lot more comfortable (A/C, leather seats, stereo). However, the site lines are different in the Scirocco vs. the Jeep, so what looks like a crest in the Scirocco may not be one in the Jeep, so there are advantages to doing the recce in the rally car. Also, in the watersplashes, the windscreen would be completely flooded on the Jeep, so we put "WIPER" calls in the notes, but in the Scirocco, the water just splashed out to the sides.

http://www.snowmoose.com/motorsports/images/defiSW.jpg
Photo courtesy of Dany Flageole, www.flagworld.com

But, getting back to the Dave's original topic, I definitely thought recce made the event safer, while allowing us to go faster.

alan

·
Registered
149 Posts
RE: Routebook

oops.... well where exactly was that stuff posted??? like I said we are now 2 rallies old and very inexperienced hehe but I did listen to my co-driver when he said to slow down tho LOL !!!:+

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

>oops.... well where exactly was that stuff posted??? like I
>said we are now 2 rallies old and very inexperienced hehe
>but I did listen to my co-driver when he said to slow down
>tho LOL !!!:+

Your codriver should be checking the official notice board (at registration). That is where any changes will be posted.

BTW, don't you mean the rocks should be very afraid? Wasn't all your damage on the underside? ;-)

Adrian

·
Registered
149 Posts

man Adrian !!! I can't belive how bad I beat that poor little car!!!! We have to re-think some of our "stuff" befor the next outing but we also had an opportunity early Sunday morning(befor we headded for N.S.) to video lots of cars in the hotel parking lot and have all kinds of new ideas to implement in the version II of the grocery getter so ...we will see }> }>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts