Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm thinking about trying pace notes at the next event we run. Is there anything I can/should do to prepare for using them?
Start by running a couple of rallies that offer Jemba notes plus recce. See what it's all about & match up your observations with what the notes indicate. Discuss with other more experienced competitors. Then try some events that offer two pass recce & try writing your own notes from scratch. Discuss with other more experienced competitors. That is today's equivalent to the way I started out & it served me well.

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
Sounds silly, but play some rally video games. Colin McRae series has numeric notes (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). Richard Burns Rally uses descriptive (hard, bad, K, medium, easy, flat) but you can find mods that change it to numeric in either increasing or decreasing.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
From your website, I "assume" that you are running RA events - thus you will be using Jemba notes (and that you have not used them before). True?

If so, this is what I remember from what Arne told us when we first stated using his notes:

- you will get lost in the notes (have a recovery plan, communicate between navie and driver and don't take it personally).
- leave out all the pluses and minuses in the corners.
- leave out the opens (<), but be sure and call the tightens (>)!
- (all this just means that there is too much to process in the beginning)
- go to any class offered !
- read the description and glossary w/ your driver & co-driver before you start the event ! (some terms may not be familiar)
- have an odo that works !

Your first event or two, you will most likely be slower on notes as you acclimate to a new system, than you were on tulips. Again, don't take it personally and persevere (you probably aren't Colin McRae).

Have fun.

press on,

·
No, your other left!
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are planning on running a few RA events next season.

I'm not all that worried about getting lost - at STPR this year we lost the power to the terratrip during stage 2 and my codriver was slightly less than helpful.

We have a good amount of experience using tulips, so I figured we'd have to switch at some point. I just wasn't sure if there was something we should do to make the transition easier.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
I've stagenoted the access roads around Summit Point Motorsports Park. Will likely be out there most weekends come spring if you want to putter around practicing. w/ stagenotes. Codriver learns reading them, what they look like, timing of instructions while driver learns digesting them and driving to them.

Then, we drive same roads w/ driver calling pacenotes and codriver writing their own notes. Driver learns the extra terms and info to drive road faster than stagenotes while codriver learns to write their own notes (shorthand, spacing, editing, ...).

Finally drive roads calling pacenotes to emphasis the difference of proper pacenotes vs. stagenotes.

·
Rally, Win, Drink Beer
895 Posts
Dave, let me know when you'll be out there please. I would like to come out and practice these same things.

·
keith murray
1 Posts
deffently do a good recce . its a good idea to put in lots of land marks and call them during the rally, its helps driver and navigator to know where they are and builds confidence in each other.
if you could get a old set of notes from a local stage and practice them togeter in your street car.
personaly i like to use number notes cos i find them easier to get out when under preasure , i find dectrive ones a moute full :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts